Hello,

Newb here, looking for a small amp to use with headphones so as not to end up in the dog house for playing too much. LOL

Do any of you have any experience with the VOX series of headphone amps, or even the I-phone adapter and app or something similar?

I'm currently learning on an Indonesian made Fender Strat knock off and a Frontman 15G, for a beginner, it's a suitable set up. The Frontman has a headphones jack, Added portability is a plus.

Thanks in advance.
Mike
What is your budget? Zoom G3 has been my default recommendation today.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Unless I'm looking at the wrong part, Zoom G3 looks like that's an effects pedal with some tunning options. I'm looking more in the lines of a small amp like the VOX Amplug AC30, A little bigger than a flash drive, plugs directly into the guitar and has a headphone jack. Some minor tuning adjustments. There is also a similar size adapter that plugs into an I-phone. I don't need absolutely flawless sound at my level of experience, but would like to find something that I can still use after I figure out what I'm doing.
Quote by mwilson0516
Unless I'm looking at the wrong part, Zoom G3 looks like that's an effects pedal with some tunning options. I'm looking more in the lines of a small amp like the VOX Amplug AC30, A little bigger than a flash drive, plugs directly into the guitar and has a headphone jack. Some minor tuning adjustments. There is also a similar size adapter that plugs into an I-phone. I don't need absolutely flawless sound at my level of experience, but would like to find something that I can still use after I figure out what I'm doing.

The G3 has 22 different amp models, and you can plug your headphones into it. I've never had good experiences with Amplugs or iRig (one of the options for an iPhone system), and in all honesty the amp models and effects on the Zoom sound decent. I use mine to practice at night when my wife goes to sleep. I know the G3 is more expensive than the stuff you're talking about, but you get a tuner, a bunch of different models and effects, and it's something you can throw on your pedalboard or even use to go direct in at a gig. Just my two cents
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Thanks Superman08, I'll keep digging into the Zoom line. It's more than I'm looking for right now, but might be worth the investment to have later on.
Quote by mwilson0516
Thanks Superman08, I'll keep digging into the Zoom line. It's more than I'm looking for right now, but might be worth the investment to have later on.

Haha, yup, just hoping to maybe save you the trouble I went through. I've heard other guys here love the iRig (or whatever other versions exist of it). I bought one, and it was noisy (both a constant hiss, and occasional screeches), clumsy to use, and only had 1 amp model and 2 effects. I want something I can use and experiment with out of the box, rather then buy a product and then spend more money. I got the G3 on a whim, and between the drum machine and the looper, it's been an amazing practice tool.
I've played the Vox Amplugs (only have experience with the AC30 and Classic Rock models though) and I really liked them. I was surprised at the sound quality for the price and simplicity. I wasn't big on the iRig/Apple stuff either, but I'm not big on Apple in general.

Keep in mind decent headphones can also make a big difference when playing through processors or headphone amps. It's also possible to run the Amplugs (or a processor like the one mentioned above for that matter) through monitors if you did want to hear without headphones.

I'd say go try a few things out and decide for yourself, see what features you like.