Yo UG.

I play this music:

and I'm pretty much set between a 6505 112 and Blackstar HT100 with 2x12 matching cab.

The prices are 600 and 750 Euro respectively.
What I like about the 6505 is the balls of the amp, great distortion and powerful (albeit lacking) cleans and crunch. What I dislike is the darned speaker, and it being a combo.

I tried a Blackstar HT60 (I had the 100 in mind) and it was much harmonic. The notes shone through the wall of angels it produced, but the distortion which is my main music direction, while having quite a lot of gain, was lacking the balls factor. I tried adding a TS9 in the chain but it didn't make it any better, however I don't know how to set the TS9 in combination with an amp which I can't set properly either.
On the other hand, it's a head and cab that not only looks cool, but is easier to transport. Also, it's used, while the 6505 is new.

I will have budget to throw in 2-3 pedals in, including EQ and a boost.

Question is:

Which amp do you think is better suited toward my needs?
Is the Blackstar's distortion improvable via a TS9 in order to create the sound required?
Is 6505 '112' a good choice at all?
Is the HT100 better than the HT60 in the parts I mentioned? I will try to try the HT100 tomorrow.

Thanks!

PS: Link to my What Amp thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1591872
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Last edited by omidmash at Mar 13, 2013,
Quote by ihartfood
legitimate budget? location?

Rivera Knucklehead
Peavey 5150 iii Mini

Not exactly an amp suggestion thread. It's between two amps and that's it. check my other thread which was a suggestion thread.
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
^ we shouldn't have to hunt around for other threads. we deal with this day in and day out. I would post a link to your other thread in your new OP here at least or you may get more of the same.

imo an amp either has balls or has no balls

therefore - I would highly consider the 6505+112 based on what you said.

^^ those are great recs to assuming he can afford them.

For the tubescreamer you typically want the Gain on '0' and the Level on '10' (for metal and hard rock anyway)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 12, 2013,
Well, this ultimate guitar so someone has to say it....

You want to cover a lot of ground, with a hard rock/metal theme going. Peavey Vypyr 60. Tubes, portable, sounds great, more than enough volume, and childishly easy to find for under $300.

EDIT: If you're dead set on one of those two amps....well, honestly I'm not sure I'd recommend either. I guess just ignore this post.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Tell us what bands have tones you like or would like to emulate and we can better help you. Saying you just want "a lot of ballsy distortion" doesn't help us much. There are plenty of amps that have balls but they do it in different ways. That said, the 6505+ fits that description.

But if warm, sparkly cleans are important to you, it doesn't excel in that department. Good cleans can be had, but that's not the point of that amp.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
how important are stevie ray tones and cleans? if they are - HT100
if not get the 6505.

knuckleheads go for $600 here if you wait and 5153s have gone for $800, so that's why I recommended those.
HT100 isn't even in the same league IMO. It's obviously more versatile, but the gain channel sounds artificial and super sterile.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Get a second hand 6505 212.

Its made in America and unlike the MIC 112. It will outlive you and the cockroaches that will survive the coming nuclear war and it also sounds better.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Get a second hand 6505 212.

Its made in America and unlike the MIC 112. It will outlive you and the cockroaches that will survive the coming nuclear war and it also sounds better.

It'll outlive you because you'll break your back trying to move it.

I would go 6505, TS. Having a "meh" clean channel is a way better alternative than having a dirt channel that just won't ever get you where you want to go, IMO. You can work with cleans with your picking dynamics and EQ/Chorus. You can't do much to a crappy dirt channel.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 12, 2013,
Oh I forget you're all puny muso types round here

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
If you get the 6505 bias modded, which is basically a pot with 2 wires inside the amp (may be some snipping of resisters going on if I remember right, I had a tech do it), a tech could do it for about £15 in about 10mins. It allows you the option of biasing the amp warmer, this both reduces the crossover distortion and improves the clean/crunch channel.

Now I can't explain to you in technical details a good explanation of what all that means, but lets just say it certaintly makes a healthy improvement on those cleans (though don't expect miracles) and also improves the lead channel, the best explanation is that it makes the distortion slightly less fizzy.

The downside of that is that if you're running it with a warmer bias you're going to have to check it and maybe have to adjust it every time you revalve it, as apposed to now where you just pop them in and go.

Out of those amps I will suggest the 6505 but I'm definitely biased, I've had my 5150 for about 8 years now, and love it as much as the day I bought it.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 12, 2013,
^ I agree that the bias mod is good improvement on that amp but if you make it warmer wouldn't that get you closer to cross-over distortion not reduce it? Doesn't matter, they are biased really cold in there design which can make them a bit stiff.

But yeah, there are amps out there that have balls and SRV type cleans if that is what you are going for. The Knucklehead and the 5153 are great recs.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ I agree that the bias mod is good improvement on that amp but if you make it warmer wouldn't that get you closer to cross-over distortion not reduce it? Doesn't matter, they are biased really cold in there design which can make them a bit stiff.

But yeah, there are amps out there that have balls and SRV type cleans if that is what you are going for. The Knucklehead and the 5153 are great recs.

The lower the voltage (or the colder the bias in other terms) the more you will be in the crossover distortion, so in other words you bring the voltage up (warmer bias) taking it out of crossover distortion.

I don't pretend to be an expert with this, but generally the lower the voltage the more you go into crossover distortion.

http://home.comcast.net/~rcrimm/crossoverdist1.html

Here is a more "expert" like explanation for you though!
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 12, 2013,
+1 on the 5153 50w. I wrecks. Out of the amps you listed I would choose the 6505+ even if it is just the 112. It has an amazing balls to the wall gain channel and the cleans can be tweaked. On most amps after you tweak them and add all of your effects and stuff you can hardly even tell the difference between clean channels.
Quote by Bigbazz
The lower the voltage (or the colder the bias in other terms) the more you will be in the crossover distortion, so in other words you bring the voltage up (warmer bias) taking it out of crossover distortion.

I don't pretend to be an expert with this, but generally the lower the voltage the more you go into crossover distortion.

http://home.comcast.net/~rcrimm/crossoverdist1.html

Here is a more "expert" like explanation for you though!

Yeah - I'm not a techie so the article didn't help me much

Cool that it was written by Roger Crimm at Peavey as I was just talking to someone else tonight about him.

Maybe the cross-over distortion appears if the tubes are biased too far in either direction. In Roger's article it states that cross-over distortion is your friend with a 5150.

What I was always told was that you want to raise the amps bias (when manually biasing a fixed bias amp) up to the point before it reaches cross-over distortion. That's my amp though. 5150s are obviously different.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ we shouldn't have to hunt around for other threads. we deal with this day in and day out. I would post a link to your other thread in your new OP here at least or you may get more of the same.

'For the tubescreamer you typically want the Gain on '0' and the Level on '10' (for metal and hard rock anyway)'

Updating OP now. And exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!

Tell us what bands have tones you like or would like to emulate and we can better help you. Saying you just want "a lot of ballsy distortion" doesn't help us much.

Well not necessary a band but my desirable tones are closer to a Dual Rectifier/Mark IIC+ than to british counterparts.

If you get the 6505 bias modded, which is basically a pot with 2 wires inside the amp (may be some snipping of resisters going on if I remember right, I had a tech do it), a tech could do it for about £15 in about 10mins. It allows you the option of biasing the amp warmer, this both reduces the crossover distortion and improves the clean/crunch channel.

I'l investigate this, thank you!

I would go 6505, TS. Having a "meh" clean channel is a way better alternative than having a dirt channel that just won't ever get you where you want to go, IMO. You can work with cleans with your picking dynamics and EQ/Chorus. You can't do much to a crappy dirt channel.

Word.

Expect a NAD (and perhaps a bunch of pedals if I get tempted) later today!
Last edited by omidmash at Mar 13, 2013,