Hey guys! I'm just here to ask about what I should do out of the certain options I'm pursuing for recording an EP.
I've done recording before and a lot mixing and mastering and it can be seen here
[forbidden link]
BUT I'm trying to go to the next level, but I'm confused.

I'm going to go with a 6505+ combo, 808 screamer, noise gate that's for sure, but I'm just confused if I should record guitar with the same microphone I'm going to purchase for vocals or get an audio interface for a direct input, (the 6505+ has a direct out). I also do the drums with superior drummer 2.0.

I'm also confused about a good versatile recording microphone to get under 200 dollars.
Any suggestions on anything would help, and if I didn't mention something important let me know!
You need either an interface or a multitracker. Go read the interfaces sticky.

For mic's, usually either an LDC or dynamic is best for an amp. If you go straight from the direct out, you'll need a cab simulation on it to truly replicate your usual sound.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Are you getting into it because you're interested in recording or because you want to record your band without paying money?

Because I can tell you the second reason is an awful one. It takes a lot of time and money to get good results, in the end it'll be cheaper and quicker to just pay for someone to record your band for you.

Remember that.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Are you getting into it because you're interested in recording or because you want to record your band without paying money?

Because I can tell you the second reason is an awful one. It takes a lot of time and money to get good results, in the end it'll be cheaper and quicker to just pay for someone to record your band for you.

Remember that.

This. If it's the second, it'll take you years, at least A year, of experience plus at LEAST about 600-1000 in equipment to get a decent sounding record. Contrary to popular belief, you can make a killer record with cheaper equipment if you know what you're doing. If you know what you're doing being the key there.

You're better off dropping 500 or so on a studio and getting it done right.

If you want to learn, now that's entirely different. It's a lot of fun.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
http://carnalelect.bandcamp.com/

The vocals on that track were recorded with a Neumann KMS 105, excellent hand held

condenser microphones and also brilliant to record with

if you're recording guitars I'd stick with something like

an SM57 although they can pick up a lot of unwanted fizz that you'll want to pull right

out of the mix. Always remember that a guitar is a mid ranged instrument

so go easy on your High's
Last edited by theinsideguy at Mar 12, 2013,