I've recently gotten back into playing more acoustic guitar. I've been playing a lot of Tallest Man on Earth stuff. If you listen to his music, you know he uses all manner of nutty open tunings. Problem is, I've been snapping strings left and right trying to reach some of the crazier tunings he uses, to the point of ridiculousness.

Are there any acoustic guitar strings that are known to be able to handle more tension than your average string? Or should I be restringing my guitar differently than I am currently?

I restring my guitar like this (although I allow a little slack on the strings when I fasten them to the pegs to allow for more wraps). And I currently use Martin Marquis Light strings, if that matters.

Oh, and the strings are always breaking right at the tuning pegs. That would suggest something wrong with my stringing technique, I guess, but I've always done it this way and I know many other players do the same.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Fireburst
Fender Blues Jr. NOS
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Distortion/OD
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
MXR Dyna Comp
Last edited by -Hope- at Mar 13, 2013,
Use lighter strings like an .011 or .010 gauge set. And be sure to carefully stretch the strings as you tune them up.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Use lighter strings like an .011 or .010 gauge set. And be sure to carefully stretch the strings as you tune them up.

this althought tuning down and using a capo is also a good idea