Since the last time I've been on the site, I've lost all my gear. I have since bought a peavey valve king 112 but no guitar.

Price range: $100-$250 (Try to stay closer to 200$)

Lakeland Florida

Looking for a versatile guitar, metal (parkway drive, Metallica, etc) and blues (b.b king tone)

No tremolo or Floyd rose.

More than willing to go used or new.

I've been lookig at the ltd m-10 and m-17

I'm aware that I'm going to need some sort of of pedal for the valve king until I do the mesa mod later on. Looking for opinions on that also ( been looking a the tube screamer mostly but open to suggestions).
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Any brands you like? If you look around, you might be able to find a Squier Vintage Modified, Classic Vibe, Fender MIM or Fender Modern Player in your price range. Just depends on the deal. I wouldn't recommend ltd, schecter or the typical "metal" companies for the sub-$400 range, their stuff isn't good enough imo. Higher-priced models are fine, I'm sure.

Godin guitars are surprisingly cheap, but I don't know much about them. I've seen used G&L guitars go into the $350 range if that's something you might like. Of course, you can find epiphone SG-400s and epi LP Standards all day long in the $200-350 range (SG-400s being on the low end of that.) They're probably decent for the price.

A PRS SE guitar might fit your needs perfectly. You can find them for about $250 all day, every day at Guitar Center's used section online. Often, even cheaper. You can get a soapbar II if you like p90s or go for the humbucker version you like the best.
Jackson JS23? The HSS pickup combo makes it very versatile and it is in you're price range new. If you are on a budget and you need a boost for your VK in the meanwhile before you do the mod, look into a Digitech Bad Monkey or an Ibanez TS7 if you can find one.
Not sure on the price in your area, but can you get a used MIM strat & a digitech bad monkey in your budget? Pref a fat strat with the humbucker.
Don't get the LTDs. At that level, they're pretty shitty. There are a few S470s floating around on ebay for ~250, which would be a pretty sweet deal.
I'm open to literally any company as long as its in the price range. I don't care if its a not so well known company as long as its a solid well built guitar.

Whatever guitar I buy will most likely be getting a pickup swap in a few months so pickups that come stock aren't such a big deal if they're shoddy. I have a pair of Duncan Designed pickups out of my old Jackson V .

I'd prefer a ltd/ibanez super strats shape or a stratocaster (love their shape and I have a old pick guard and knobs if I decide to make it look older).

I'd prefer humbuckers since I haven't heard many single coils that sound really good for metal but I wouldn't rule single coils out.

And as far as pedals go I'm willing to splurge if its worth it. I just don't want to dump $600 in a guitar since I'm replacing everything and basically relearning most of everything. I'd rather buy a cheaper guitar that feels nice and make it sound nice for now.
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Oh and I'm located literally right between Tampa Bay and Orlando in Florida so I can make a trip to either if need be.
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Quote by williamdllr
I'd prefer humbuckers since I haven't heard many single coils that sound really good for metal but I wouldn't rule single coils out.

You said you want versatility right? bridge for metal and middle/neck for cleans/blues.
Quote by Addonexus408
You said you want versatility right? bridge for metal and middle/neck for cleans/blues.

Yeah, I'm thinking about a squier fat strats with a mini humbucker for the neck because I like the sound a neck humbucker makes. I'm just looking at all options available

Edit: and then I could relic it I don't know if I'd be able to get the parkway drive sound I'm looking for since that's the tone I'd mostly be using while fiddling with blues/cleans. I'd say 80% metal 20%blues
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Last edited by williamdllr at Mar 14, 2013,
Honestly your not gonna get an unbiased opinion period lol. Like I'm going to tell you you should pick up a used fender or a squire, but honestly you need to go to a big guitar store and just try out a bunch of guitars.

Then buy what you like