Hey guys/gals

I just bought a TH30 head + ppc212 cab yesterday. It was working fine at my band practice and sounding like sex , then when I brought it to my apartment the clean channel didn't work at all at first, then after maybe 10 minutes it started working. And now when I tried it this morning the clean channel doesn't work at all.

The first tube from the left isn't glowing at all, is that my problem?

I certainly didn't drop the thing or anything, and I was making an effort to drive very gently with the gear in the back of my car. It's below freezing outside right now and I had to have the gear in the cold card for about 30 minutes at one point, possible reason?

Thanks!
It certainly sounds like one of the tubes has gone.

Did you leave the amp on stand by for long after practice?

I leave my combo in my car all the time & I've never lost a tube, but maybe if the tubes were still warm from practice & you took them into the freezing cold it could have broke.
Yeah I was pretty much kranking the thing, after which it was out in the freezing weather for a while due to a little mishap (car getting towed to a location 100m the other way, lol). So yeah, maybe the sudden drop from +25c to -5 broke a tube. I don't think I left it on standby for too long after practice.

Having no experience dealing with problems in tube amps should I bring it back to the shop or just get a new tube and switch it myself?

edit: also can the absence of one tube completely silence the clean channel? You would think that it at least responds in some way even with one tube gone.
Last edited by AmIEvil? at Mar 13, 2013,
Quote by AmIEvil?
So yeah, maybe the sudden drop from +25c to -5 broke a tube.

maybe?
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Last edited by omidmash at Mar 13, 2013,
Quote by omidmash
maybe?

instead of trying to be clever, you could try to answer my question
Quote by AmIEvil?
instead of trying to be clever, you could try to answer my question

You already did answer your question..
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
You already did answer your question..

I meant these:

Having no experience dealing with problems in tube amps should I bring it back to the shop or just get a new tube and switch it myself?

edit: also can the absence of one tube completely silence the clean channel? You would think that it at least responds in some way even with one tube gone.

edit: this might sound like a silly question but how do I know which of the valves are preamp or power amp?
Last edited by AmIEvil? at Mar 13, 2013,
If the store is close I would take it back for them to look at it. Everywhere I've bought from has been more than happy to help with any issues.
Also, if it isn't the tube they will be able to tell you instead of you guessing what the issue is.

Not 100% sure if the clean would go silent if one tube went.
Quote by AndyGray

Not 100% sure if the clean would go silent if one tube went.

If it's a preamp tube, it's probably one that's in the clean channels signal path. The TH30 has 5 preamp tubes, so 1 will be a phase inverter, 1 is a fx loop buffer, the other 3 will make up drive tubes for the other channels.
I'd swap V1 and V2 and see what happens. That is a pretty easy thing to do. They pull strait out and push strait in (with a little wiggling). Don't force it and bend a pin. If after swapping those tubes the problem doesn't go away - then I'd return it.

If you need more help on tube swapping let us know. V1 should be the preamp tube closest to the insert jack (but that is not always the case).
^yeah that's pretty foolproof.

I had the same issue a few times I think, it actually turned out to be a dodgy socket and I had to return it. Pretty gutted cause it was one of the first uk serial numbers...

But i tried swapping the valves first, make sure you rule it out, if they still come with the shuguanngsau then you may as well throw them out the window anyway.

I also had v1 blow on me and the clean channel went quiet, have a google for the layout cause its not really made clear.
Last edited by beckyjc at Mar 13, 2013,