I'm getting a new amp. I'm looking for a head to use through a 4x12 cabinet. Right now I use a Fender Mustang 1 and I usually have the volume at about 4 or 5, anything louder than that sounds shit. How many Watts should the head be? I'm starting a band soon and will be playing gigs so I need something that can play loud enough for medium sized gigs and also for home use, but something neighbour friendly. I have quite a lot of ideas for amps but I'm gonna go try them out later. But for now I just need to know the Wattage. Thanks.
Budget?

Current Gear?

Location?

New or Used?

Genres?

Answer that and we can help you better.

I use a 120 watt JSX head through a 4x12 for home use.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Last edited by Charvel1995 at Mar 13, 2013,
what type(s) of music?
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I already have quite a few models in mind, the price and everything else is sorted out. I just need advice on how powerful it should be.
Define medium sized gigs.

Any amp can be neighbour friendly
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

40w is enough if we're talking valve amps here, though there is more too it than that. Will you be using a lot of cleans? How clean do you want these cleans? Because when it comes to volume its the clean sounds you need the power for not the distortion.

Also most places should have PA systems where you are micing up the amp, are you expecting to be trying to fill the room with just your 4x12 or are you going to be micing it up?
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
I know that the marshall MG100HFX is a good amp which is very loud. I would honestly recommend that amp to everybody if you are looking for a head

if youre looking for a combo which you can hook up to a pa I would recommend one of the smaller marshall mg amp combos, like the 30 or 50fx
I play lots of metal and hard rock. I'm probably going to get Blackstar HT, or a Peavey 6505 Head. I plan to mic my cabinet, but also at rehearsals, not just gigs.
Quote by MattCox12345
I play lots of metal and hard rock. I'm probably going to get Blackstar HT, or a Peavey 6505 Head. I plan to mic my cabinet, but also at rehearsals, not just gigs.

There was another thread where the guy had these exact options, he tried both and found the 6505 had a much preferable distortion sound but that the Blackstar had a better clean sound.

The 6505 is legendary for it's high gain distortion, you can't get much better for Metal and it excells at hard rock (it was originally designed for Eddie Van Halen back when it was called the 5150).
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Quote by CaptainAmerican
I know that the marshall MG100HFX is a good amp which is very loud. I would honestly recommend that amp to everybody if you are looking for a head

if youre looking for a combo which you can hook up to a pa I would recommend one of the smaller marshall mg amp combos, like the 30 or 50fx

no-just no.
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Quote by CaptainAmerican

have you any knowledge of amps beyond the MG range?

TS:

if you need cleans, 40w.
if you don't, anything.
Quote by MattCox12345
I already have quite a few models in mind, the price and everything else is sorted out. I just need advice on how powerful it should be.

yeah and we need to know those type of things because the wattage is far from the only thing affecting the loudness. different types of music need different types of headroom and distortion etc. too. obviously price and location affect things too. not to mention amps' wattage ratings are also often little better than made up.

Just give us the darn information, lol.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by CaptainAmerican

Lol wut.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Quote by CaptainAmerican

Shitstorm imminent.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
don't worry, i'm saying, "serenity now" over and over. it's working so far.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by CaptainAmerican

Can we ban this guy for trolling?
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Quote by Maineguitarist
Can we ban this guy for trolling?

you want to ban me because you disagree with me lol

Quote by ihartfood
have you any knowledge of amps beyond the MG range?

TS:

if you need cleans, 40w.
if you don't, anything.

yes I have plenty of experience with a wide range of amps. The MG series is one of the best in my opinion
Quote by CaptainAmerican
you want to ban me because you disagree with me lol

No, I want you banned because you are a known troll. First in the Pit, and know here. Just get out now.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

wattage really isnt the factor - its how well the amp you choose sounds at low volumes. this is amp design, not wattage.

you have a 4x12...which i say is overkill 99% of the time and just kills your back for no reason. however, you have it, so your sound is gonna be big, and its gonna be a bit louder.

pick an amp depending on th features, headroom, and genre. tube amps are freakishly loud, all of em. even 5 watts. its about waht you are trying to do.

almost NOTHING is going to substitute for a pushed power section of a tube amp. sound changes in ways that is very hard to replicate. this can only be down by low wattage, or turning to 10. even at low wattage, this is LOUD. this is why most lay people will never sound like the guitar heros.

for example - i bought a DV Mark lil 40 which attentuates to 0.5 watts ONLY to be able to get power tube breakup in my home.

to overdrive the 6L6 tubes and sound like angus young in my house, the neighbors still almost called the cops. at 0.5 watts. but for 30 minutes, i was practically angus young.

what genre do you play?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Yeah I think I'll get a solid state head instead. What about the Randall KH120H? It's 120W solid state, will it fill my requirements with a 4x12?
I'd think long and hard about not going tube if you're gigging. I'd also not worry too much about the overall wattage, assuming you play modern metal...
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 14, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'd think long and hard about not going tube if you're gigging. I'd also not worry too much about the overall wattage, assuming you play modern metal...

This, did a gig recently with my Valveking 100h and a spider 120 watt. The Valveking totally drowned out the Spider completely... And the spider had it's mids turned up and the volume on full.
Quote by Maineguitarist
No, I want you banned because you are a known troll. First in the Pit, and know here. Just get out now.

what are you talking about I barely post on this site

stop getting upset becaise somebody has a different opinion to you. Get over it and stop derailing the thread with your immaturity