Hey guys, first time poster. I have an amp question...

Ever since playing the Fender 65' Twin Reverb reissue at the guitar store, I've wanted the amp badly! Problem is obviously the price is retailing at 1450$. I found one used for $750, which is claimed to be in like new condition and hardly used, but the only issue is the guy claims he bought it new in the late 90s! He says it never left the house, has only about 10 hours playing time and the tubes are hardly broken in, despite the age. I went to his house and the thing looks and sounds just fine, hardly a mark on it.

My question is should I be concerned about buying an amp that old? Is it worth my while to shell out the extra 700$ for a new model with an actual warrenty?

And if I were to buy the older amp, what is usually the thing to give out, and how much would it run me to fix it usually?

Sorry if these are newbie/simple questions.... they're coming from a simple newb!

Thanks for any help/advice!
the statement "they don't make them like they used to" could not be more true with amps. granted the twin reissue is probably similar to how it was made in the 90s but I honestly don't know, the speakers might be different and a few parts might be different. in the case of the reissue it doesn't really matter, its a great amp and you'll love to have it, and you spent half of what a new one would cost. get it.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Welcome to our board.

General rule of thumb is not to pay $700 for a reissue. I'd take the older one any day of the week.

You didn't ask a noob question. 'Fixing' an amp can vary greatly with some repairs/tricks costing virtually nothing and some costing hundreds of dollars. If it sounded good didn't and do anything crazy I'd say go for it. In general though I would say it is a good idea to have $50-$100 potentially on hand to buy new tubes maybe, etc.

PS: I'm not an amp tech. Someone else here will know a lot more about a late 90's Twin.

Edit: Also, if the guy said the tubes have low miles on them and you believe him the chances that the tubes are fine are very high.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 13, 2013,
Quote by jamienfld
Ever since playing the Fender 65' Twin Reverb reissue at the guitar store, I've wanted the amp badly! Problem is obviously the price is retailing at 1450$. I found one used for $750, which is claimed to be in like new condition and hardly used, but the only issue is the guy claims he bought it new in the late 90s! He says it never left the house, has only about 10 hours playing time and the tubes are hardly broken in, despite the age. I went to his house and the thing looks and sounds just fine, hardly a mark on it.

i wouldn't be worried about the playing condition of the amp too much, especially if you already played it. i have quite a few amps that are way older than the 90's and i play them all the time.

Quote by jamienfld
My question is should I be concerned about buying an amp that old?

no, not really. i recommend 'try before you buy' and you did. the amp acts fine, it's prob not a lemon.

Quote by jamienfld
Is it worth my while to shell out the extra 700$ for a new model with an actual warrenty?

for a new one? prob not. the fender deluxe has been known to blow OT's and power tubes, but i haven't heard of any issues with the reissue (RI) twins.

i don't think it's worth buying new on the '65 RI

Quote by jamienfld
And if I were to buy the older amp, what is usually the thing to give out, and how much would it run me to fix it usually?

that completely depends. most of my repair bills weight in ~100 to 150 bucks.

if the amp's tubes are shot, needs new speakers or blows the OT then repair costs can start escalating quite quickly and get about the 150 mark pretty fast.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Welcome to our board.

General rule of thumb is not to pay $700 for a reissue. I'd take the older one any day of the week.

this.

i was going to go into what i prefer to spend money on, but 311 already hit it.

frankly the '65 fender RI series is not all that hot. they used better parts in the older versions.

for example, i could have gotten a newer '65 twin reverb RI when i started. the used price is about that (sometimes you can find them for as low as 500 bucks).

i ended up getting a '81 Music Man HD212-150 for 500 usd. imo the amp is incredibly well put together, the quality of build is much higher than a RI twin.

the HD212-150 is quite a different beast from a twin though, so i kept my eyes out for an older twin. i ended up with a '69 twin reverb, it was reverted to AB763 specs had original tubes and JBL D-120 speakers. i got it for 800 bucks.

imo both of these deals is much better than a '65 twin RI. but a '65 twin RI is hardly a bad amp, i just feel they are too much money for what you're getting.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae