Budget: £500

Genres (bold ones a necessity) : Alt rock, pop, blues, classic rock, hard rock, thrash metal, prog metal. Cleans are needed but do not need to be pristine.

New or Used: Either, but keep in mind my main places to buy from are gumtree and ebay.

Home or gig: Both- around 100-200 person gigs.

Area: London

Current Gear: Squire Strat, Ibanez RG2570mz prestige, fender mustang 1 amp.

Really cannot afford to have anything larger than a 1x12, for portability reasons and space reasons (so cath, please do not post one of your 100 photos of a trolley )
Thanks
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 combo? You're asking a lot for one amp, so I think that might be your best option.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 13, 2013,
thanks- i was considering that.
Any views on the traynor ycv50b- i know dave recommends it a lot.
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Quote by randomguy2000

It could be OK if you got an extensive pedal board or a good MFX when you want more than the basic tones, IMHO.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Another vote for Vypyr 60 unless you really need an FX loop and/or don't care for the Vypyr's reverb and delay (they're fine IMO). If you get one, be sure to get one of the Sanpera pedals. I'd say the II for gigging.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Quote by randomguy2000

yeah that's what i was just gonna recommend

i haven't tried the vypyr tube, though, i guess it depends on how much versatility you need.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
$5 bucks say's CaptainAmerican comes on here and recommends the MG.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

On Topic: I have not tried the Traynor or the Vypyr tube, but here's are a couple amps that I HAVE tried and immensely enjoyed:

S.S.:http://acousticamplification.com/products/index.cfm?catid=1&subcatid=6&modid=13&product=G120H%20DSP

Tube: http://acousticamplification.com/products/index.cfm?catid=1&subcatid=6&modid=13&product=GT50H

They are both rather versatile. One is a Solid State and the other is Valve driven, and they both sound good.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard

Quote by Maineguitarist
...a couple amps that I HAVE tried and immensely enjoyed:

S.S.:http://acousticamplification.com/products/index.cfm?catid=1&subcatid=6&modid=13&product=G120H%20DSP

Tube: http://acousticamplification.com/products/index.cfm?catid=1&subcatid=6&modid=13&product=GT50H

They are both rather versatile. One is a Solid State and the other is Valve driven, and they both sound good.

I've only seen these sold by MF & GC. I've only played a few of them, and none that I came accross were tube. I didn't use them enough to formulate an opinion on them....

Are they their house brand like Simmons drums/monitors and Musician's Gear components and accessories? Raven amps used to be their house brand amp, then just as those were disappearing off the GC showroom floors, suddenly a whole row would be dedicated to these Accoustic Amplification amps.

Just wondering...
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 13, 2013,
JSX maybe?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by tas38
JSX maybe?

wouldn't be a bad thing. on the cheap are the peavey ultra+s which are earlier stage XXX/JSX. (XXX=now 3120 JSX =XXX2 now).

egnater renegade? would hit thrash with an od and the gain cranked. good for all of the above. i owned one for a while, it wasn't my favorite (only paid $600) so i wasn't complaining, but they are pretty nice and solid. the only thing is that IMMO a lot of the different 'features' are kind of gimmaky.

do you use/like/mind/hate pedals?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by jetwash69
I've only seen these sold by MF & GC. I've only played a few of them, and none that I came accross were tube. I didn't use them enough to formulate an opinion on them....

Are they their house brand like Simmons drums/monitors and Musician's Gear components and accessories? Raven amps used to be their house brand amp, then just as those were disappearing off the GC showroom floors, suddenly a whole row would be dedicated to these Accoustic Amplification amps.

Just wondering...

Yes it is a house brand, and they are pretty good. I am kind of shocked that your GC doesn't have the Tube tbh . You would think that would be a priority.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard

If you can up your budget a touch I'm sure you could get a Bogner Alchemist 112 for about £550 ... assuming you're happy to haggle a little over the phone. I've been using this live for some time and I'm very happy with it.
thanks guys,
used peaveys are quite costly here- I know a jsx would be ideal...
even ultras are costly,
orange is out of my budget,
kind of between the traynor and the vypyr- how are both the amps cleans?
how bout a jcm2000
i do plan on getting a mfx after- probably a g5 but amp comes first.
bogner alchemist would be nice, are they fully tube
i know ug don't like em, but how bout a ht40? i know they aren't fully tube, but...
and cameron, that guy has got to be a troll- he says he has a good knowledge of amps and then reccomends an mg?
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly

If you can find a local shop which has the spider valve MK2 go give that a try, most people dont put in the time to change the presets so pass it of as sounding bad. But if you take a little time to set it up (all the presets are badly set up & have atrocious volme\master vole configs) and get the FBV floor pedal for it, you can get some real nice tones from it.
Spider Vale MKII (Modded)
Laney VH100R Head & WEM Starfinder 4x12"

Ibanez S470 (Heavily modded)
Jackson SLATXMG3-6 Soloist
Gordon Smith LP
Last edited by Dragonrose at Mar 14, 2013,
i thought the ycv40's cleans were pretty good, but the 50 uses EL34s and a v30 speaker, neither of which are likely to improve the cleans, so I dunno. I think it's hard to beat the traynor at the price thomann sells it for, but obviously it has to be suitable for what you want it for. I thought it'd do what you want (based on the 40 i tried), but there's no accounting for taste either and that's just my opinion.

i think the alchemist is all-tube but don't quote me on that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Maineguitarist
$5 bucks say's CaptainAmerican comes on here and recommends the MG.

youre so mad. Just let it go

but yes i would suggest a marshall mg because it is quite versatile and sound great in my opinion.

although the Peavey Vypyr Tube is also a good option in my opinion
Quote by CaptainAmerican

but yes i would suggest a marshall mg because it is quite versatile and sound great in my opinion.

HA! Pay up f*ckers!
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard

Quote by Maineguitarist
Yes it is a house brand, and they are pretty good. I am kind of shocked that your GC doesn't have the Tube tbh . You would think that would be a priority.

I've been to around 5 to 8 GCs since then. Maybe they all have the tube model. I didn't notice one there the first time I saw the Acoustics, and I haven't really given them a second look. I might do it next time I'm there. It's neat to see GC/MF improving their house brand products.

As for the MG comments, if CaptainAmerican is sincere about the MG and his experience with other amps, then perhaps he can post a listing of the amps he's owned. Since TS isn't buying the BS, there's no need for me to tell my sad MG tale ITT.
Quote by shiggityswah

i wouldn' t mind hearing it anyway
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly

Quote by randomguy2000
i wouldn' t mind hearing it anyway

Long story short:
1st amp: MG30DFX. Thought it was awesome for about first month. Then heard some good amps and realized I wasted $230. Muddy lows; shrill highs. Even putting it on the clean channel and playing through good MFX didn't help much. Far better off playing the MFX thru a PA, which is what I did until I got an all-tube halfstack.

Only way to make the MG sound good is unplug the speaker from the built in amp, and wire the speaker to a jack so you can use it like a cab for a good head. Then it's not as muddy, and OK up to moderate volumes (105dB or so).

My friend's 15watt Squier starter pack amp sounds better than any MG.

Quote by shiggityswah

Bogner Alchemist/JCM800 combo/Laney TT/Gh100;/GH50l/Vhr.

I reckon you could get a GH50/100 and a 1x12 for that money. Be a hell of a nice rig for very little money.

Edit: JCM2000 DSL 50/100 would also be good and pretty versatile.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Last edited by jimbob78 at Mar 18, 2013,
Quote by CaptainAmerican
youre so mad. Just let it go

I strongly suggest that you find a good otolaryngologist. Don't delay.

TS: A JCM2000 DSL will do the deed nicely.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I strongly suggest that you find a good otolaryngologist. Don't delay.

TS: A JCM2000 DSL will do the deed nicely.

Agreed with both
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard