Hi there I'm a beginner guitar player , I have a Telecaster and a Digitech RP200 Multi-Effects pedal. I really like to play Nirvana's music , but rp200's distortion is noisy , fuzzy and fake . So i want to buy a distortion pedal and use the rp200 just for the other effects . I know Kurt used a Boss DS-1 , but price + shipping it to my contry goes around 75-80$ , and i'm in a really tight budget . So can you suggest me a pedal that goes close to te ds-1 sound for less then 40$ ? I dont want to buy a FAB or a Behringer , but i was hoping the JOYO CRUNCH DISTORTION would give me the ds-1 sound ? Is the JOYO CD too crunchy for Nirvana's sound ? Is it more suited for metal ? Should i buy a JOYO Ultimate Drive instead ? I guess these are the only decent pedals i can afford , that are shipping worldwide . Thanks in advance
I live in Albania . I've found some good prices on ebay for the ds-1 , but i'd really be curious to know if one of the JOYOs would give me the sound i want ? I dont trust used stuff (plus most of them don't ship here)
Last edited by Slim-Shady at Mar 14, 2013,
Never used a JOYO and I feel the same way about used stuff. But in my opinion if the pedal that Kurt used is cheap enough, retail and used, why not spend just a little more for the exact pedal he used instead of a replica? Not trying to persuade you to buy it, just giving you some food for thought.
What kind of amp are you using?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
what amp are you using? (sorry if i missed it) but i did see the processor.

i have heard of a lot of issues with the joyo. supposedly they are good at getting you a new unit out, but i don't know if that would apply to where you are.

a DS1 is pretty much the cheapest distortion pedal there is. lower than that, and you are either getting into shittier tone or lack or durability. also i have never heard of one of those DOA, they are probably the most sold distortion pedal ever.

go DS1 its the cheapest half decent thing you can get. at $40
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The digitech rp200 has a direct audio output , so i'm not using an amp at the moment , i just plug it to my speakers . I'm probably gonna end up buying the ds-1 , but i am just very curious about those YOJO pedals , they look interesting and i've read a lot of good comments . I'd prefer a new pedal rather then a used one , plus i don't like waiting for shipping . The point is i've checked every store here , and all i could find was too expensive marshall pedals , some behringers , and a lot of JOYO pedals . I couldn't see the crunch distortion , but i'm pretty sure it's there . I just found out about JOYO pedals and Crunch Distortion some days later , after researching over the internet . So i was just asking if crunch dist. has a close sound to ds-1 or it's just for metal , so i dont have to wait 40+ days shipping for the ds-1 , plus i dont have the money right now .
And the best part is the shop-dealer won't let me play the pedals :') he want them in boxes
A lot of the guitar tone comes from the amp, so plugging any pedal into regular speakers is gonna sound terrible 99% of the time.

I suggest busting out the manual for your RP200 and tweaking it until you get a passable tone. Try all the amp/cabinet models.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Standard Kurt tone was DS1 into EHX Small clone into Fender twin
I guess it comes down to the oldest cliche in the book.......

what you REALLY need is a new amp. Because that is the first hurdle in achieving any tone at all.

I'm sorry, but I just can't see how plugging a DS1 into a multi effects unit straight into speakers will get you that tone at all, because despite it being the same pedal, it was only a part of the larger picture.
I'm pretty sure you will find at least decent tones with that pedal. I have an RP355 and yeah, it's not great but IMO sounds much better than a DS1 (which sounds terrible to me, and I have tried it through Fender Deluxe Reverb and Engl Screamer), let alone if you plug the pedal straight to the speaker. You just need an amp. Though RP355 is an upgraded version but I don't think they sound completely different.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
That digitech unit sounds bad because of how you're using it. The DS1 will sound just as crappy through just speakers like that.

Honestly, save for an amp. Any money you spend now on something that isn't an amp will not improve your tone and delay you in getting what you actually need, an amp.

If money is an issue and there is no chance on an amp, just stick with what you have. A DS1 or any distortion pedal will not, I say again, WILL NOT improve what you have going right now.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
That digitech unit sounds bad because of how you're using it. The DS1 will sound just as crappy through just speakers like that.

Honestly, save for an amp. Any money you spend now on something that isn't an amp will not improve your tone and delay you in getting what you actually need, an amp.

If money is an issue and there is no chance on an amp, just stick with what you have. A DS1 or any distortion pedal will not, I say again, WILL NOT improve what you have going right now.

Well stated and totally accurate. Glad to have you back, Kevin.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Thanks everyone The amp is not a problem because i usually go practice in my friends houses , they all have more then 2 amps in their garages , and the rp200's distortion sounds bad . When i'm home i'm practicing without an amp , but i'm saying , THE AMP IS NOT A PROBLEM ! I will get one in a near future , and i just want to be prepared in gear when i get it ! So my question is just about the JOYO crunch distortion , i just went to the shop and i saw it , so i dont want to wait for 40+ days shipping for the ds-1 , so :
DOES THE JOYO SOUND LIKE A DS-1 , OR IT'S JUST TOO CRUNCHY ?
Thanks
i mean.....at this point, based on everything you said, does it really matter? You don't want used, you don't wanna wait however long for a shipped DS-1 (which are really cheap, and exactly what you want) why spend money now when you know you'll spend it again when a DS-1 comes along. you practice at home not plugged into anything...no amp of your own. You're interested in the JOYO, which the guy won't let you play before buying, but you're worried it won't sound like a DS-1...

i don't know man, this is a big DON'T BOTHER if i've ever seen one
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by Slim-Shady
1. Thanks everyone

2. The amp is not a problem because i usually go practice in my friends houses , they all have more then 2 amps in their garages , and the rp200's distortion sounds bad . When i'm home i'm practicing without an amp , but i'm saying , THE AMP IS NOT A PROBLEM ! I will get one in a near future , and i just want to be prepared in gear when i get it !

3. So my question is just about the JOYO crunch distortion , i just went to the shop and i saw it , so i dont want to wait for 40+ days shipping for the ds-1 , so :
DOES THE JOYO SOUND LIKE A DS-1 , OR IT'S JUST TOO CRUNCHY ?
Thanks

1. No problem, that's what we're here for.

2. The amp is a problem. If you want to sound like Kurt you need to pay attention to what he used and the pedal is simply not a major part of the sound... At least not nearly as major as the amp. The fact that you don't even mention what amps your friends have tells me you think an amp just makes it louder and has no effect on the sound... Couldn't be further from the truth. DS-1s are generally pretty hated, but the reason Kurt got the sound he did from them was because he ran them into cranked Fenders.

3. The Joyo is supposed to be a clone of the Crunch Box... Which as far as I know is in no way similar to the DS-1. Again though, the pedal isn't gonna mean jack if you don't have a decent amp to run it through.

Dude you're a mess. You can't ask for advice then get pissy when you don't like the advice, despite the fact that it's accurate. Do what you want, but don't expect us to validate your decision.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Mar 14, 2013,
@tubetime86 thanks for the 3rd answer , thats what i need to know . i'll get an amp soon , im pretty sure it won't be a fender , but here in albania we have to deal with it , most of the stores here only have staggs & marshalls , and some chinese stuff .
Quote by Slim-Shady
@tubetime86 thanks for the 3rd answer , thats what i need to know . i'll get an amp soon , im pretty sure it won't be a fender , but here in albania we have to deal with it , most of the stores here only have staggs & marshalls , and some chinese stuff .

Well the real key to his sound is a clean tube amp, pushed fairly hard. Just about any tube amp could probably do reasonably well... But a solid state amp just isn't going to get that sound, in my opinion.

You really should spend more time with the RP200's settings though. You should absolutely be able to get a decent Nirvana sound out of it with headphones or computer speakers.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
www.thomann.de you can order just about anything from them, and they are fairly cheap.

Like has been said, the amp is the biggest part of the sound. Your RP200 shoud work fine for what you want.

The only other pedal I can think of besides the DS-1 that would be good for Nirvana would be an old DOD Grunge pedal.

But amp first
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by T7E
Standard Kurt tone was DS1 into EHX Small clone into Fender twin
I guess it comes down to the oldest cliche in the book.......

what you REALLY need is a new amp. Because that is the first hurdle in achieving any tone at all.

I'm sorry, but I just can't see how plugging a DS1 into a multi effects unit straight into speakers will get you that tone at all, because despite it being the same pedal, it was only a part of the larger picture.

I agree with this guy.
The DS-1's back then were different than the current ones. More importantly, Kurt's was modded. Kurt also used a Rat, and in some instances used them simultaneously.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by tas38
The DS-1's back then were different than the current ones. More importantly, Kurt's was modded. Kurt also used a Rat, and in some instances used them simultaneously.

Truth
also you will never get the tone on nirvana albums, if you are thinking that you could.

studios do a lot of processing and change the tone quite a bit.

it would be easier for a live rig, but he is dead.

also as mentioned tas38 his DS1 was modded.

i don't understand how you can't just get a passable tone out of your effects processor and headphones.

do that. save for amp. buy amp. no buy DS1.

also the chorus makes a big difference on cleans too IIRC he used a EHX small clone. that would put you farther (although more expensive) toward the cleans, and it actually sounds good.

if you still want a DS1 and figure out what you want, you can look up common mods people have done if you are comfortable doing so yourself.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
also you will never get the tone on nirvana albums, if you are thinking that you could.

studios do a lot of processing and change the tone quite a bit.

it would be easier for a live rig, but he is dead.

also as mentioned tas38 his DS1 was modded.

i don't understand how you can't just get a passable tone out of your effects processor and headphones.

do that. save for amp. buy amp. no buy DS1.

also the chorus makes a big difference on cleans too IIRC he used a EHX small clone. that would put you farther (although more expensive) toward the cleans, and it actually sounds good.

if you still want a DS1 and figure out what you want, you can look up common mods people have done if you are comfortable doing so yourself.

you're so right , if you listen the videos live in Reading , the guitar sounds way too thrashy then the studio records :/