Have you ever been told you look like another race by people of that race?

Page 1 of 2
I myself am a blend of multiple flavors of European and Latin American. That said, I'm a linguistics major, I speak Japanese, I'm currently learning Mandarin and have begun learning Korean as well, so it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that the vast majority of my friends are Asian and that I've been drawn about as far as a westerner can be into the local Asian community.

Before you get any ideas, I'm not at all one of those people that resents being white - life is really, really good for a young Caucasian guy (especially one surrounded by young Asian girls ). Appearance-wise, I'm of average height, thin, I have long, very dark, thick, straight hair, and I like fashionable European & Korean clothes.

Many, many, many of my Asian friends have told me (often on multiple occasions) that they see the way I do things and my style as being Asian and some of them (mostly closer friends, girlfriends, etc.) go as far as to say they think of me the way they think of other Asians instead of how they typically think of Americans, to which I usually just reply with a laugh and a joke. In the past few weeks, though, I've been told by several girls (mostly ones I've just met) that I look ethnically Asian, and each time I've not really been sure how to respond. Each time it's been seemingly at random that I've been told this and I've replied with something to the effect of "...thank...you?" I mean, it seems like it's intended as a compliment of sorts, but it's just an odd thing to hear when it comes from someone who's lived 95% of their life in China, and its novelty is only multiplied when you hear it from numerous other people who have done the same.

All of that said, it's certainly not a thing that bothers me, and there's not really much of a point to this post. It just strikes me as funny and I'm bored so I thought I may as well see if anyone in the pit has ever experienced anything like this (though I realize this is a pretty narrow demographic I'm appealing to)
I can get what you mean. I myself am parts irish, italian, hungarian and german. In my life people have said I look "mexican", "black", "italian", "asian" and "spanish." Those are exact words, and I don't really get it or see it. With that said it doesn't bother me, and its funny with what you said cause as another caucasian guy, I've had a lot of luck with asian girls.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
I am south american at heart, and been compared, though the difference between me and you is that I'm not accepting of my own culture since it pretty much sux.
im irish and mexican, and people tend to ask if im puerto rican
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Well, when I was in Jordan people kept trying to talk to me in Arabic, that was kind of a trip.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I am south american at heart, and been compared, though the difference between me and you is that I'm not accepting of my own culture since it pretty much sux.

Well clearly I do love East Asian culture and I'll openly admit that it has a very important impact on who I am. And while there are many parts of American culture that I despise, there are still others that I like and that also have had very important impacts on me. And no matter how Asian my appearance apparently is, I'm still very proud to be able to say I'm Mexican, English, and Welsh (I know in the UK it may not be as interesting, but in the States being able to say "I'm Welsh" is cool as 肏. Lol)
I'm Hispanic. I've been told I look rather Hispanicy.
So no.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
i get stuff like spanish, lebanese, egyptian, portuguese, salvadoran and brazilian all the time.. even got called filipino once for some reason. usually the people who ask me if i'm from those places are from there. although the person who thought i was filipino was from owen sound and i can't imagine there being that much diversity there.

I've been told that I look like a young Hanna Barbera.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I'm Mexican, but I'm rather light skinned. So I've been thought of as Indian, Pakistani, Moroccan, Saudi Arabian and so on with Middle Eastern countries.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
cool blog

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Well, when I was in Jordan people kept trying to talk to me in Arabic, that was kind of a trip.

Mexican, Arab, same difference
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I'm white but I constantly have people asking me if I have any African blood in me.

And I'm like "Hell yeah bitch, I'm black from the waist down."

Happens once a week, at least.
Quote by TunerAddict
Mexican, Arab, same difference

HEY

Costa Rican
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
HEY

Costa Rican

Bud, I know you guys get really touchy about what region you're from, but north, south, east, or west, Mexico is Mexico. South Mexico is still Mexico, so I stand by what I said.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
No.

But it's obvious to Filipinos that I'm half white and obvious to most white people that I'm mixed white and something Asian.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

But it's obvious to Filipinos that I'm half white and obvious to most white people that I'm mixed white and something Asian.
Quote by piratemetalhead
inb4 all asians look the same

But they do .
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I think someone would have to have very poor eyesight to place me as anything other than a cracka ass white boi.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
White people and mexicans think im asian, but tr00 asians can tell I'm not. I speak with an american accent and am hispanic.
I've been told I look like a shrimp.
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

I'm Dutch-Mexican but whenever I'm hangin' out with an Afghan broseph of mine some people assume I'm from nortern africa or the middle east or something

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
When I was in Japan, people thought I was Korean.
When I was in Korea, people thought I was Japanese.

I'm Chinese.
X JAPAN
yoshiki.toshi.pata.hide.heath/taiji

---------------

"desert rose, why do you live alone..." - yoshiki
im about as white as varg, so nope
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
OMG, yes!

Black girls and mixed race girls back in day all used to swear I was part black.

Despite my white skin, blue eyes and dirty blonde hair, at college, at this academy I went to and even some girls I met when drinking/partying in Croydon; have all asked me if I'm black, speculated if I've got a black ancestor and all that. -- Since they were black and mixed race themselves, I could only take it as a compliment, but never serious.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Quote by treborillusion
OMG, yes!

Black girls and mixed race girls back in day all used to swear I was part black.

Despite my white skin, blue eyes and dirty blonde hair, at college, at this academy I went to and even some girls I met when drinking/partying in Croydon; have all asked me if I'm black, speculated if I've got a black ancestor and all that. -- Since they were black and mixed race themselves, I could only take it as a compliment, but never serious.

I assumed you were mixed race when I saw your photograph.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by TunerAddict
I assumed you were mixed race when I saw your photograph.

Seriously, girls have asked me that, like, not just one girl neither.

Oh well, I still take it as a compliment, since it was black and mixed race girls asking me this. Funny, I don't think a white girl/person has asked me that yet.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Yah, last year my Mandarin Chinese teacher was convinced I was Asian I am not.
Italians thought I was Italian.

The ****ing nerve of those greasy bastards.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by TunerAddict
Italians thought I was Italian.

The ****ing nerve of those greasy bastards.

Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I assume it was the dark, straight hair and the intense amount of body hair of the same type.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

I've been called Maori, Cook Islander, Columbian, Mexican, Korean, and Taiwanese

I have Niuean, Samoan, English, Welsh, Irish, and German ancestry

I like confusing the f*ck out of people
I'm pretty much a mix of white and middle eastern and i look like it too, some American guy told me once i look kinda Mexican

Idk
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Page 1 of 2