so i'm going to block off my tremolo, and i wonder what my spring configuration should be along with it.

Most people on youtube use four springs. 2 springs on the left, one tremolo stopper in the middle, and 2 springs on the right.
Will this configuration fit my guitar which uses 09-42 strings?

or should i stick to my 3 springs triangle configuration? i don't trust that in placing a wooden block between the bar under the springs will do the job in the long run-

2 last questions for this post:

Does it make a diffrence in quality/quantity if the trem stopper is brass or steel?

Does anyone here have any experience black noiseless springs?
Is this on a Stratocaster? Just tighten the claw in back until the bridge is flush with the body snugly. That way you have the tuning advantage of a hard-tail and you can still use the trem in one direction. It's what I do with most of my Strats.

If it's for a Floyd Rose, check these out:
http://www.allparts.com/tremol-no
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Mar 14, 2013,
It's a floyd rose. I saw the tremol-no in a catalog by my locat guitar store. It made me skeptical since i don't want to replace the thing i attach the strings to and meld wire to a new piece.

On floyd rose upgrades Here, Slash is using the brass stopper, i'm considering this; but i want to be reassured before i order anything.

Oh i forgot an important thing. the tremolo stopper won't stop my strings from going flat when i bend a string, correct?
Last edited by pepperoni xxx at Mar 14, 2013,
I blocked my stratocaster and am only using 3 springs, Also I imagine that yes using a brass block would give you more sustain if thats what you're asking... I just used wood but I bet brass or steel is legit
The Tremol-no is probably the best option, and resoldering the ground would take all of ten seconds with a hot iron. If you don't have an iron then take it to a friend who does.

I have the FU trem stopper on one of my Kramers and can say that it does work, but is a pain in the ass to adjust, as with 3 or 4 springs in the cavity you can make perhaps an eighth of a turn at a time with an allen wrench, and getting your fingers in there is fun too. I wouldn't waste the 5 bucks on the brass unit, as there is no discernible difference in tone or sustain between having the block resting on the stop or completely disengaged. It's just marketing BS that they're trying to sell you. The one thing it does make easier is setting the bridge up after a string change, which is the reason I bought it.
I can vouch for Tremol-no. I am personal friends with the guy who invented them and I can assure you they work 100% as intended and they are a top-notch company.
All you need to do to retrofit one on your guitar is snip the ground wire and replace the spring claw with the one included with the Tremol-no. It's reversible in a matter of minutes if you ever want to change it back to stock.

The black noiseless springs are just regular steel springs coated with some type of PVC silicone or something. They work, but it's nothing you couldn't do with regular springs just by stuffing them with foam (the foam from pickup boxes works great for this)

Upgrading to a brass or steel sustain block is WAY better than using the pot-metal one that comes from the factory. It's a pretty huge difference.

Using brass or steel shims to block the trem would be a good idea too if you are looking for maximum surface area and contact. However the problem with that is that those shims are kind of expensive and a little hard to work with if you have to cut them to make them fit. Just using a block of wood will do the exact same thing and is easier and way cheaper. (Just go to your local hardware store or woodworking shop. They usually have small scarps of wood that they will give your for free that would work perfectly)

Also, don't put your springs in the arrow configuration. Not only does this not have equal tension, but the middle spring has a nasty habit of popping out randomly. They should all be straight in line like I I I, not V.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
You don't even have to re solder the ground wire to the claw, it's all done by tightening a screw around the wire. Watch the video on the TN website, its actually dead easy. A monkey could do it
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
i can't get over the fact that i don't think the wood will stay in place if i dive the whammy for light wabbles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sv2jqo6wx8 i'de be really happy if i can make the trem only go one way, and keep it AWAY from going flat when i bend a string

how can i do these two things at the same time?
should i consider 4 springs along with a stopper?
or is tightening the springs (tightening the tremblock the a wood piece) enough to keep it from going flat when bending?
Last edited by pepperoni xxx at Mar 15, 2013,
Quote by pepperoni xxx
i can't get over the fact that i don't think the wood will stay in place if i dive the whammy for light wabbles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sv2jqo6wx8 i'de be really happy if i can make the trem only go one way, and keep it going flat when i bend a string

how can i do these two things at the same time?
should i consider 4 springs along with a stopper?
or is tightening the springs (tightening the tremblock the a wood piece) enough to keep it from going flat when bending?

The block will hold just fine. You just need to glue it to either the body or the the sustain block so it won't move. That is essentially why the stopper is doing, but it requires you to drill a pilot hole and screw it into the body. A block of wood would be much less invasive.

Or, you know, just get a tremol-no and be done with it and have the ability from going full floating to dive only to stoptail with the turn of a thumbscrew....
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
it's only the stoptail mode i can do double bends with?
there are no other trem stoppers that can help double bending of the strings?