Page 1 of 5
What are your views on it? I live in the states, and there are still a lot of people in favor of it here, and its not exactly a hot issue. There's actually a bug murder case going on right now where the defendent (Jodi Arias - hottt crazy bitch) might be getting the death penalty, and it doesn't really bother me or shock me in any way. But I know there are a lot of people who strongly oppose it, for various reasons.

I really have no leanings one way or the other, because I've never really thought about the issue before. So tell me, what are your views? What are the cons? What are the pros? Educate me, and discuss.

that's a yawn

Quote by MediaMate1
There's actually a bug murder case going on right now where the defendent (Jodi Arias - hottt crazy bitch) might be getting the death penalty, [...]

I am strongly against the execution of pest control workers.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Mar 14, 2013,
The Bible says an eye for an eye.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Saw this on Cracked the other day

Thought it was interesting

I really don't agree with the death penalty at all. Mostly because there is a chance they may be innocent. Plus, I don't see what gives us the right to end someone's life. It's pretty barbaric.

Just talking about once they're caught. Things like self defense are obviously different
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Mar 14, 2013,
Capital punishment is dumber than the people typically on death row.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Personally, I am against the death penalty. It costs too much, takes too long, and killing an innocent person is unforgivable.

The only time I might be in favor of it, is if someone who is convicted of a life sentence would rather be executed than serve the rest of their life in jail. But it would have to be their choice. I doubt many would take it, but I'm sure there would be a few.
Quote by angusfan16
But if they kill all the pest control workers whos gonna kill all the bugs!

ikr
thanks, obama
it is impossible for a fair trial to be carried out when capital punishment is an option. It significantly biases the jury against the defendant and lowers the necessary threshold of proof to secure a guilty verdict.

This may largely be due to the necessary screening out of those who oppose the death penalty from sitting on capital juries. This process is necessary as allowing jurors onto capital juries who oppose the death penalty on principle can often lead (as it did during the 19th century when capital punishment was handed out for minor crimes) to jurors refusing to convict on the grounds of their opposition to the punishment. This means only those who do not oppose the death penalty (and typically support it) are chosen to sit on capital juries. This group has time and time again been shown to be biased towards convictions in capital cases. A meta-analysis of the bias in this group of jurors by Allen, Mabry and McKelton (1998) showed that "this favorable attitude towards the death penalty translates into a 44% increase in the probability of a juror favoring conviction.".

A fair trial in which capital punishment features is impossible given that the selection process necessarily picks biased jurors.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Capital punishment has been outlawed here for years, decades, a century (if you dismiss the nazi time). I don't see a reason why you should have it.

With the massive crime stats of the USA, I guess you need to drop your criminals somewhere. Maybe that's the reason they still have it.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Okay, so can we end this thread now? A couple decent jokes, one or two sentiments for it, several interesting posts against. It's all downhill from here.
I would need to see the cost of executing a criminal vs. the cost of locking up said person for life. I see no point for taxpayers to pay more for one option if the other gets the same outcome (a criminal removed from society) for less cost.
It's not really okay. Some people deserve it, but in lieu of the expenses and the difficulty in determining guilt to 100% sure, it's not worth it.
What if the cost of executing someone was some how lowered so that it was actually fairly inexpensive? Would that influence any of your views?
Quote by MediaMate1
What if the cost of executing someone was some how lowered so that it was actually fairly inexpensive? Would that influence any of your views?

As stated before in my post, I am fine with it if it is cheaper.
What are the costs of life imprisonment vs. death penalty right now?
I agree with it only if there is 100% undeniable facts that the person convicted really did it.

If you murdered someone, if you raped someone, if you harmed someone in a way that basically ruined their lives to where they wish they were dead....

Your ass goes to the front of the line. No appeals, no sitting on death row for 20 years, no $30,000 lethal injection or electric chair. They take you out back and put a bullet in your head Judge Dredd style.

That's how it should be.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by MediaMate1

The problem is that in making it cheaper you are invariably removing rights from the accused, which is dangerous.
Quote by stonyman65
I agree with it only if there is 100% undeniable facts that the person convicted really did it.

Which is pretty much impossible to achieve.
Quote by macashmack
I would need to see the cost of executing a criminal vs. the cost of locking up said person for life. I see no point for taxpayers to pay more for one option if the other gets the same outcome (a criminal removed from society) for less cost.

I believe most people end up waiting 10, 20, 30 years before being executed, though. So the cost may not be substantially less. Of course, I could be wrong... I too would like to know the numbers associated with both life and death sentences.

Quote by Todd Hart

No, it isn't.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by stonyman65

If you murdered someone, if you raped someone, if you harmed someone in a way that basically ruined their lives to where they wish they were dead....

Your ass goes to the front of the line. No appeals, no sitting on death row for 20 years, no $30,000 lethal injection or electric chair. They take you out back and put a bullet in your head Judge Dredd style.

That's how it should be.

I would never want the death penalty to be for a single rape or murder. That is excessive.
A serial killer, a serial rapists, or someone who commits high treason are the only people that should be executed IMO.
Quote by stonyman65

What, as in the crime was witnessed by several independent and reliable witnesses, and filmed?
Quote by macashmack
As stated before in my post, I am fine with it if it is cheaper.
What are the costs of life imprisonment vs. death penalty right now?

Shit tons of money. Tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.

IIRC, it was actually more expensive to use the death penalty (due to court costs and everything) than it is to keep them alive until they die in prison.

Like Charles Manson. Can you imagine how many thousands, if not millions of dollars we've spent on him since he went to prison? That guy should have been killed 30 years ago.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Hydra150
The problem is that in making it cheaper you are invariably removing rights from the accused, which is dangerous.

How so
Quote by stonyman65
Shit tons of money. Tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.

IIRC, it was actually more expensive to use the death penalty (due to court costs and everything) than it is to keep them alive until they die in prison.

Like Charles Manson. Can you imagine how many thousands, if not millions of dollars we've spent on him since he went to prison? That guy should have been killed 30 years ago.

Did Charles Manson actually murder anyone?
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by MediaMate1
How so

Because you will be removing their right to appeal..
Quote by Todd Hart

Well, for example to guy who shot those people in the movie theater in Colorado. We all know he did it. We saw him do it, he was there caught (literally) red handed..

And now he's going to court and wasting taxpayer money on that guy.

Once again, someone should have put a bullet in his head right then and there.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Skynyrd890
No, it isn't.

Yes it is. Eye witness testimony is quite hopeless, cameras are limited to public areas mostly, and unless they are close to the criminal it's very difficult to confirm that the accused is the same person as the one in the video. DNA evidence has many problems, give than if you've been to a pub it's almost certain that your skin/hair is on the bodies/clothes/shoes/mobile phones etc of most people there now. DNA evidence a physical murder weapon is quite good, but even then depending on the weapon used it could be hopeless (if it's a kitchen knife for example).

Quote by stonyman65
Well, for example to guy who shot those people in the movie theater in Colorado. We all know he did it. We saw him do it, he was there caught (literally) red handed..

And now he's going to court and wasting taxpayer money on that guy.

Once again, someone should have put a bullet in his head right then and there.

He's mentally ill, which makes him a victim of biology, and thus killing him is somewhat silly.

It's cheaper to keep him alive. And besides, killing him wouldn't be an act of justice, it would be an act of revenge, which clearly cannot play part in a justice system.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Mar 14, 2013,
^^Isn't he criminally insane? Surely you need to be in reasonably good mental health to be executed, no?
Quote by macashmack
I would never want the death penalty to be for a single rape or murder. That is excessive.
A serial killer, a serial rapists, or someone who commits high treason are the only people that should be executed IMO.

Why not? They took someone else's life, why can't we take theirs?

Eye for an eye.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Hydra150
Because you will be removing their right to appeal..

Wait whaa? You're gonna have to explain this a little more. Why would it remove their right to appeal? Why can they appeal in the first place, etc.?
Quote by MediaMate1
Why can they appeal in the first place, etc.?

Because they might not be guilty.
Quote by stonyman65
Why not? They took someone else's life, why can't we take theirs?

Eye for an eye.

lol, you can't be serious
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Page 1 of 5