Hey guys i have a vox ac-30 amp, not the celestian blue model.

I play alot of metal AND METALCORE. This amp has great tone especially with effects and distortion infront of it. However i dont think the speakers inside the combo amp can handle the deeper tones aka deep palm mutes. get a sort of crunchy/crackle when i hit particular notes and a bit of a ringing rumble. hard to explain without hearing it.

What i was wondering is if i got a seperate speaker cabinet for this amp with beter speakers would this eliminate my problem, or if anyone has experience with this model, if its just the way the amp is designed. Or do i start looking at new head and speaker cab?

Is there anything i can do in the way of changing valves to improve tone for my style?

Thanks guys
inb4 waves of 6505 recommendations

If you want to keep your amp, possibly try an EQ pedal and an overdrive/distortion pedal to get up into the high gain territory. The ac30 is a great amp, but it's not really a go to amp for that style of music. If you find yourself playing only metal and wish you had an amp better suited for it, a new high gain head will be your best bet. I don't think a separate speaker cab would solve anything but it's hard to tell without actually hearing it.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
I don't think a AC-30 will do Metalcore...

Just because it's voiced really britishy and (I could be wrong) isn't Metalcore more suited to an American voiced amp anyway?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
well guys, maybe i need to go test it out at a guitar shop or something. how do u find the 6505+ any good? also what other amps do u guys recommend?

and dont get me wrong u get A KILLER METAL tone out of the vox, its so underated and stereotyped to british sounding rock haha.
what speakers do you have in it? greenbacks?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Test it through a closed back cabinet like a 1960A with your effects. My C50 sounds amazing like that, and is one reason I'm looking into a closed extension cab. It makes quite a difference in the tightness of the sound and the bass response
Get a quality overdrive pedal and a closed back 2x12 cab (amp already has 2x12 speakers, so perhaps a blend?) and hope it has enough gain. It isn't really suited to that kind of music but with enough tweaking and the right pedals I'm sure you could pull of some kind of unique tone that can handle what you want.

The 6505 is one of the most recommended amps because it has legendary tone and is very affordable, but it has probably come to the point where you just sound like everyone else because so many people buy them.

For metal the 6505 is incredible, but if you can get a tone from your AC30 you're happy with, more power to you, do it!
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 14, 2013,
thanks for the help guys. what other cabs do u recomend? theres a setting on the amp where i can run just the head and play through another cab, so if that means getting a 4x12 cab i dont mind, but yeh i like the idea of blending sounds. however i dont know how u would eq that, mayb through an effects loop through the ac 30? so u could have top end in the ac30 and lower end tones in your cab
STP and slash velvet revolver. lots of ac30 tone in there.

so yeah you can get some really hardcore sounds out of a ac if you set it up right.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
STP and slash velvet revolver. lots of ac30 tone in there.

so yeah you can get some really hardcore sounds out of a ac if you set it up right.

Slash, VR and STP aren't exactly metal...
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
No doubt you can get this thing pretty heavy sounding witha a nice cab, and the right pedals, but I don't think you'll ever get it into the metal territory you're thinking of... Thats just my opinion.

I would suggest looking at another amp for you dirt tones. Some I would suggest are:

1. 6505 like already stated
2. 5150 III. I just played one of these is the studio the other day for a while. it has a brutal od and lead channel, and the clean actaully cleans up nice.
3. Jet City JCA. I own the 50H and this thing can do metal not sweat. It also handles rock and blues well. This would be your cheapest options.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
No doubt you can get this thing pretty heavy sounding witha a nice cab, and the right pedals, but I don't think you'll ever get it into the metal territory you're thinking of... Thats just my opinion.

I would suggest looking at another amp for you dirt tones. Some I would suggest are:

1. 6505 like already stated
2. 5150 III. I just played one of these is the studio the other day for a while. it has a brutal od and lead channel, and the clean actaully cleans up nice.
3. Jet City JCA. I own the 50H and this thing can do metal not sweat. It also handles rock and blues well. This would be your cheapest options.

This.

IMO it just feels that the less you need to shape your "dry" tone, the better. You will get much better results that way. So maybe it's just better to buy an amp that already suits the style. If you start shaping your sound too much, you'll spend more money on the effects and new speakers than you would on a new amp that can already do the sound you want.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Dude, keep your Vox & create your own tone & sound!

I know of a band local to me that plays doom/sludge hardcore & he uses the Vox. I think it might struggle with the high gain trashy side of metalcore, but it should be able to hand the heavyness.
hey guys all great suggestions thank you all. however like i said i get great tone from the amp, especially great metal tones. however i feel the speakers aren't handling certain chords / tones well. keep that in mind. however i do plan on taking my amp to a guitar store and testing it with different cabs.
Quote by sphehir
I do plan on taking my amp to a guitar store and testing it with different cabs.

Solid idea!

Before I bought my mesa, I rented one for a week ,make sure it was what I really wanted. I was able to put it through its paces at practice, before dropping any serious coin
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
That is your best option (cab testing), I like the idea of a Vox AC30 doing full out metal, it could sound great and will definitely be quite unique if you can pull it off, don't listen to the naysayers!
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Just curious, in the first post you mentioned distortion pedals to get the metal sound. What distortion pedal do you use?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by AndyGray
Dude, keep your Vox & create your own tone & sound!

I know of a band local to me that plays doom/sludge hardcore & he uses the Vox. I think it might struggle with the high gain trashy side of metalcore, but it should be able to hand the heavyness.

I second this! Forge your own way!
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Thanks guys. im getting alot of support here which makes me happy. im glad you guys are pushing me to endeavour new sounds.
Quote by tas38
Just curious, in the first post you mentioned distortion pedals to get the metal sound. What distortion pedal do you use?

Um i use my boss me-50, and i have the mono line out to the vox and the other right channel from my me-50 going into my behringer v-amp 3 which goes into my computer interface which gives me great recording tone! cute little setup i got haha.
Gear:
Dean Razorback
Epiphone Matt Heafy MKH 7 string LP
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom LP w/ EMG 81+85
Epiphone LP Studio 2002 w/ EMG 81+85
Ibanez RG150dx
Vox AC30 CC2
Boss Me-50
Behringer Vamp
Pdp X7 kit

www.soundcloud.com/initiatemusic