RebuildIt
254 IQ
I posted a question in the Gear & Acc forum, but 1) I don't really like the answers, and 2) I think I asked the wrong question. That post is https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1592839 (Is it ok to post links across forum lines? Am I stepping on toes or starting a turf war?)

I want an octave effect because I want to do this mod: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1590300 or https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1328396

All the canned choices are far more complicated than I need. I want single octave down. I dont want choices. Also, I read tukk04's post more carefully, and he says poly is not as good! So my specs changed again, not polyphonic.

Does anyone have designs for a simple octave down circuit. By simple I mean single function, no adjustments. (realize there might be some adjustable components to dial it into a working configuration, but I dont need to adjust it once it is working) I do want it to be a reasonably clean sound, not all fuzzed up.
Kyleisthename
1,583 IQ
So why do you want to get an octave pedal?

I'm confused, because the guitar mods you showed have bass strings that are already low.
Why put the pedal in the guitar when the bass part has a separate output?
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Last edited by Kyleisthename at Mar 15, 2013,
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
Quote by Kyleisthename
So why do you want to get an octave pedal?

I'm confused, because the guitar mods you showed have bass string that are already low.

No they don't.

I'm not entirely sure why you want to limit your options so much. Is it because you want to save money? Because believe me, you're not going to save money by building your own, it just doesn't work like that.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Kyleisthename
1,583 IQ
Quote by eddiehimself
No they don't.

I'm not entirely sure why you want to limit your options so much. Is it because you want to save money? Because believe me, you're not going to save money by building your own, it just doesn't work like that.

Well either way it doesn't make sense to put the pedal into the guitar.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
TJHague
480 IQ
That's something you aren't going to get a 'simple' circuit for. It's a reasonably complex task. I had done some looking into it several years ago because I wanted the same thing. To my knowledge there is no good way to do it with an analog circuit.

The simple way would require a simple microprocessor with an ADC input and DAC output and some programming knowledge. You would have to program it to do a Fast Fourier Transform and then halve all frequencies before outputting. While you can find algorithms to do that fairly easily, this is by no means a simple task; you would be better off just purchasing the pedal that is closest to your desires.

edit: Most microprocessors you will easily find are not really designed for audio purposes. You would have to do some searching and possibly pay a decent chunk of money to get the ADC and DAC to have a bit resolution high enough to preserve all of the harmonics your guitar produces.
Last edited by TJHague at Mar 15, 2013,
RebuildIt
254 IQ
Quote by ohaple
Maybe its just me, but there is something cool about onboard effects..

That is probably the #1 reason.

Quote by TJHague
That's something you aren't going to get a 'simple' circuit for. It's a reasonably complex task. I had done some looking into it several years ago because I wanted the same thing. To my knowledge there is no good way to do it with an analog circuit.

The simple way would require a simple microprocessor with an ADC input and DAC output and some programming knowledge.

Thanks TJ. I have considerably more than some programming knowledge, so programming isnt a a show stopper. However, I also realize that it will most likely be a whole new development platform, so a ton of learning before getting anything out of it. I am lazy, so if its going to be both not cheap and not easy, the chance of me finishing it this decade is pretty slim. I think I'll do the mod without the effect and see how it sounds just plugged into a bass amp.