Got a Schecter Damien Elite 8 not too long ago and it has some really bad fret buzz from the 12th fret and up on the F# and B string, the other 6 are fine. Tried raising the action a bit on the 2 strings and so far it hasn't really helped much. Could it be an issue with the truss rod? Or maybe the frets? Just a little confused because the problems only on the bottom 2 strings.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm sure you already thought of this but try changing your strings, that helped for me when I had fuzz.
I plan on changing the strings once I figure out what gauges I want to go with but I don't believe that's the problem. It's not just a little buzz, the frets above the 12th are basically unusable currently.
The fret board is supposed to drop away from the strings, starting at about the 12th fet, (give or take). You should be able to sight along the side of the neck and see this happening. This done to prevent fret buzz in this area. There's a bit of geometry happening, and please don't ask me to type an explanation.

In any event, the most likely cause of fret buzz in that area, is simply the guitar's action is too low.

A neck that is "too straight", (no "relief"), would be giving you buzz in the middle of the board also, frets 4 through 10, again, give or take.

Lighter strings are more prone to buzz, and they also allow the guitar's neck to "flatten out with respect to the body., lowering the action.

I'd take the guitar to a tech, just for a quick look, before you do anything you might regret.

As for strings, with an electric in E standard tuning, I'd suggest "electric regulars", gauged .010 to .047. I really don't need an argument here. IMO & FWIW, regulars will give you good cleans, good bass, and still allow full tone bends.

Your preferences, and likely everyone's opinion, may vary. So, that was a simple suggestion, and advice I take as well as give.
Thank you for the response. Seems like some good info to have. Was thinking of bringing it to my local guitar store to see if they'd take a look at it but I'm a little skeptical as to just how knowledgeable they are on this kind of thing. I'm hoping I can take care of it myself to save myself some money, plus I'd like to learn how to do it myself.
The search term, "Electric guitar setup", brought a massive amount of results: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=Electric+guitar+setup+guide&oq=Electric+guitar+setup+guide&gs_l=firefox-hp.3..0j0i22i30l4.8578.16811.0.17528.27.21.0.6.6.0.107.1970.19j2.21.0...0.0...1ac.1.3Alm0A51pSU With Fender at the top of the list>

I expect you could also get this info at frets.com. Here's their "buzz diagnosis info": http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/buzzintro.html and their homepage: http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/pagelist.html

Anyway, go read up on some of the Google search results, until you hit an explanation that resonates with you. Everybody explains these concepts slightly differently, and everyone gains access and understanding differently as well...

I would advise you, you're going to need "feeler gauges" and a working knowledge of how to use them to measure clearances, to do a proper setup.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 15, 2013,