Page 1 of 2
I've been playing metal ever since I picked up my guitar, and well I've decided that I shouldn't confine myself to one genre, so I've decided to take up blues guitar. I must confess that it's like a new language to me and I really don't know where to start. I'm starting off with acoustic fingerstyle-kind-of blues. So please, can anyone give me advice on this? good artists I should know, songs I should play, your help is appreciated.
I'm sort of the opposite -- started out playing blues/blues rock and gradually moved into metal, since I'd been listening to metal all along anyway. You obviously enjoy the blues, so I'd recommend starting to emulate some of your favorite artists.

I was always on more of the blues-rock side of things, so I started by learning Zeppelin songs, Cream/Clapton, Hendrix, etc. B.B. King came to my hometown once and I learned a lot about blues from that performance. Namely, it's not about the technicality of the playing at all, like it is in some other genres like metal. I'll never forget his playing; it was one of the finest, most professional acts I've ever witnessed.

If I could recommend one technique that is CRUCIAL to blues playing, it would be vibrato. The scales and phrasing used will come in a fairly short time. But vibrato is what separates an excellent blues player from a cliche blues player.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Mar 15, 2013,
Quote by mryellow
I've been playing metal ever since I picked up my guitar, and well I've decided that I shouldn't confine myself to one genre, so I've decided to take up blues guitar. I must confess that it's like a new language to me and I really don't know where to start. I'm starting off with acoustic fingerstyle-kind-of blues. So please, can anyone give me advice on this? good artists I should know, songs I should play, your help is appreciated.

Hey fella. I opt for many styles usually, but blues has been my latest interest and I'm finding it quite easy to start with 12 barre in E and just playing around and finding new notes as I go.

I've picked up a nice sound quite quickly that way and it's SO simple once you get the hang of it.

I started with these vids from youtube and if you haven't seen Marty yet, he's quite a good teacher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxhEtDjBusc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPV8mmjUUwc

Hope that gives you a coupla ideas to start with.

Dude, blues is great and pretty easy to pick up. Just study up on some pentatonic modes. Here's a list I put together for myself of "blues guitar scales". It's got 'em all in one place. Hope it helps!

http://www.guitarchalk.com/2013/01/blues-guitar-scales-master-list.html
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
guitarchalk.com
Some more advanced Blues

http://www.jazzguitar.be/jazz_blues_chord_progressions.html

Basic Blues
F7
Bb7 F7
C7 Bb7 F7
1930s evolution
F7 Bb7 F7
Bb7 F7
G7 C7 F7 C7
Count Basie Blues Changes
F7 Bb7 Bdim F7 Cm7 F7
Bb7 Bdim F7 D7
Gm7 C7 F7
Bebop Changes
F7 Bb7 F7 Cm7 F7
Bb7 Bdim F7 Am7 D7
Gm7 C7 Am7 D7 Gm7 C7
Tritone Substitution
F7 Bb7 F7 Cm7 F7
Bb7 Bm7 E7 F7 E7 Eb7 D7
Gm7 C7 Bb7 Am7 D7 Gm7 C7
Charlie Parker Blues
Fmaj7 Em7b5 A7b9 Dm7 Db7 Cm7 F7
Bb7 Bbm7 Eb7 Am7 D7 Abm7 Db7
Gm7 C7 F D7 Gm7 C7
A6, A6, A6, A6, D9, D9, A6, A6, E7, D9, A6, E7,

A6 - 5x465x

D9 - x5455x

E7 - X7675x

12 Bar Blues with a Jazzy feel.
Quote by mryellow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUy8NO_8-Es
Quote by Sti Eci Tehpor
A6, A6, A6, A6, D9, D9, A6, A6, E7, D9, A6, E7,

A6 - 5x465x

D9 - x5455x

E7 - X7675x

12 Bar Blues with a Jazzy feel.

Is this dude a bot?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
Is this dude a bot?

I am just giving some resources that helped me with the blues; sorry if you don't like the content.
Quote by Sti Eci Tehpor
I am just giving some resources that helped me with the blues; sorry if you don't like the content.
You might consider using the edit button instead of the whole slightly crazed "serial poster thing".
Quote by Sti Eci Tehpor

Well it doesn't make much sense.

You expect a new guitarist to know what you're going on about by throwing every 7 chord at them? You've got to explain it. Plus you just wrote them down, how is he/she supposed to know what that even is?

I honestly thought you were a bot because you posted like a bot.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Sti Eci Tehpor
here is a website to help you find different chord voices.

I have a website for that, it's called my brain.
Quote by mdc
I have a website for that, it's called my brain.

If you don't need the website, then don't use it... I posted it because people were complaining that mryellow wouldn't know how to play dominant chords.

Also it's a great website for when you want all the different positions of a certain chord. (For example: diminished 7th chord can be played in 10 different positions; I for one don't know all those positions)
Last edited by Sti Eci Tehpor at Mar 17, 2013,
I know what you're talking about but it still just looks like a wall of letters and numbers until I actually decipher it!

Good luck TS!
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Splanker

Marty's Turnarounds ... Need Help

1. At 1:57 he says "basic turnaround" and then plays this "turnaround"

What is he doing? He does it too fast for me to see and doesn't tell you "HOW" to play the "basic turnaround." I think, from what I see, he starts doing it at the FIFTH fret. Can someone write out what he's doing, this basic turnaround.

2. At 5:13 he does this "turnaround" again, but this one sounds a little different (and the FINGERING looks different) than the one he does at 1:57 above. From what I see he starts it at the THIRD fret. Again, he doesn't tell you what he's doing, that is, how to do it. Can someone write out how to play this particular turnaround?

3, At 6:24 he does another turnaround, and this one sounds a little different, and the fingering looks different than the one he does at 5:13 above. Again, he doesn't tell you how to do it. From what I see he starts this one at the SECOND fret. Can someone "write out" this third turnaround?

4. At 7:11, he does ANOTHER one, and something extra from 7:13 to 7:14 after the turnaround. Again, he doesn't tell you what he's doing and how to do it. Any help with this one would be appreciated.

Last edited by rutle_me_this at Mar 17, 2013,
Just learn a bunch of blues songs, cut them up and put them together your own way.

Soloing I learned by taking the same approach.. I just copied my heroes. BB King, Freddie King, Clapton, SRV, Joe Bonamassa (not really blues but close enough). Theory helps of course but its not really as important since just playing up in down scales in blues is really looked down upon. Guitar soloing is supposed to be vocal like in blues.
rutle_me_this the turnarounds are based on I7 - V7. Listen to it. The harmony is very simple. It sounds complicated cuz he's playing a descending line, but it's just a filler for a simple harmony (I-V).

This (at 0:33 - 1:03) and more importantly (2:17 onwards) is so much more sophisticated than what Marty is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4rqlBL1Olk
Quote by mdc
rutle_me_this the turnarounds are based on I7 - V7. Listen to it. The harmony is very simple. It sounds complicated cuz he's playing a descending line, but it's just a filler for a simple harmony (I-V).

This (at 0:33 - 1:03) and more importantly (2:17 onwards) is so much more sophisticated than what Marty is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4rqlBL1Olk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxhEtDjBusc

Well, lets' just focus on what Marty is doing at 5:13. It sounds like hes moving down from fret three to fret two to fret one, likes he's playing the same chord, but just doing it for each fret (this "descending line"). But what is he doing? What is the chord he's playing?

Last edited by rutle_me_this at Mar 18, 2013,
All it is, is a descending symmetrical line starting and ending on the chord tones of I7. Everything in between is just a way to chromatically connect the motif.
-4-3-2-0
-------
-4-3-2-1
-------
-------
-------

So you start with B and G♯, and end with G♯ and E.

The importsant thing is being able to hear that the harmony at this point is static (just I7). That's it, nothing else going on.
Last edited by mdc at Mar 18, 2013,
Quote by mdc
All it is, is a descending symmetrical line starting and ending on the chord tones of I7. Everything in between is just a way to chromatically connect the motif.
-4-3-2-0
-------
-4-3-2-1
-------
-------
-------

So you start with B and G♯, and end with G♯ and E.

The importsant thing is being able to hear that the harmony at this point is static (just I7). That's it, nothing else going on.

Is this supposed to indicate the 6 strings, with the numbers referring to where to place the fingers? Is what you wrote supposed to be TAB for what he's playing (because I learned TAB and it doesn't look like the TAB I'm used to seeing in books and I can't figure out what those numbers and lines mean).

I'm used to seeing things written out this way (just as an example in general):

Quote by mdc
Yes

-4-3-2-0
-------
-4-3-2-1
-------
-------
-------

So that means fourth finger on the first and third string? I'm totally confused.

Is there any way it can be written out in this manner (I mean what he is playing BETWEEN 5:13 and 5:16 in the video):

And I see in the video he's using his INDEX, MIDDLE, and RING fingers ... in the same position, just moving it down consecutive frets. Just can't make out which strings he's playing.

No it means 4th frets on those strings. Common sense will tell you which fingers feel most comfortable.

It'll also tell you to fast forwrd the video to 5:13 and play along with it, then you'll hear what I'm doing.
Quote by mdc
Edit: those are terrible voicings for dim7 chords.

I also smell something...

I just plucked that image off google to show not the chords but the KIND OF TAB I'm used to seeing in books. I meant just to show it as an example of how it would help me to see the chords Marty is using in the descending line, if someone could write it out that way, what he's playing between 5:13 and 5:16 in that first video.

As I said, I keep watching the video between 5:13 and 5:16 and I see he's using his INDEX, MIDDLE, and RING fingers (with the pinky just hanging out) ... in the same position, just moving it down consecutive frets. Just can't make out which strings he's playing. And I can't make out the picking he's doing with the other hand. So TAB would show me that as well, the picking pattern.

Ahhh fuuuuuckin'ell. Common sense, buddy. I've just spelt it out for you in several posts.
Quote by mdc
Ahhh fuuuuuckin'ell. Common sense, buddy. I've just spelt it out for you in several posts.

Well I appreciate your trying, the effort. I'm just truly dense with some of this, not kidding.

(I've quit and come back to the guitar a few times. I just don't have the natural instinct others have but I keep trying again and again.)
Honestly all you have to do is listen and digest as much blues music as you can and then imitate what you like. It's how one learns to play within any style.
Quote by Splanker

I started with these vids from youtube and if you haven't seen Marty yet, he's quite a good teacher:

Marty, Blues?

If you want learn blues go watch Corey Congilio, gr8bluesgtr, Dennis Dullea.
@rutle_me_this

Lol, I don't even see anything different with the tab mdc posted and the pictures you posted. The lines are the same lines (strings) as on the picture and the numbers are frets, just like on the picture.

For example:
C major chord
-0----
-1----
-0----
-2----
-3----
------

high E string: fret 0 (open string)
B string: fret 1
G string: fret 0 (open string)
D string: fret 2
A string: fret 3

Use the same logic and you can play the thing mdc posted.

(High E string: fret 4, G string: fret 4. Then same strings, fret 3, then fret 2.)

And even though it looks like the guy on the video is also fretting with his index finger, he might just keep it there to mute the B string. Just listen to it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 18, 2013,
Page 1 of 2