Hey guys!

I've been thinking about replacing my cheap cables with better quality cables - I looked at the solderless route and realised that it will cost me just about $200 since I have ten pedals atm. However, it seems like using soldered connections are way cheaper than the solderless kits.

I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to these, so I have a few questions:

• Is it possible to customize the length of the cables with soldered connections?
  • Are there any differences tone-wise compared to solderless kits?

I was thinking of using the Lava mini ELC cable and GLS Pancake plugs.

Thanks!
Learn to solder and make you own.
Its not that difficult.
There are loads of tutorials on youtube.

I'd buy some cheap stuff to practice on though.
Modifying cables is super easy - there are only two things to worry about, the hot and the ground. Don't mix them up, and you've done it successfully! haha

I cut down one of my Live Wires to length, since I heard it was easy to do, and it really was. It's great having cables that are exactly the right length for your board.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by CodeMonk
Learn to solder and make you own.
Its not that difficult.
There are loads of tutorials on youtube.

I'd buy some cheap stuff to practice on though.

Thankfully enough, I learned how to solder properly in my electronics class when I was in high school.

Just wondering if it was possible to cut the cable I mentioned as you would in a solderless cable kit to fit your board. I'm just confused because all the guys who use solderless kits make it seem like it's not possible to have a custom length soldered cable.
solderless cables are horrendously overpriced and shit. i used them for ages. they sounded good, but they kept cutting out, and got irritating to re-make. sold all mine a while ago. i'm using cheapo molded ones until i get around to buying a spool of wire and plugs and making my own.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
solderless cables are horrendously overpriced and shit. i used them for ages. they sounded good, but they kept cutting out, and got irritating to re-make. sold all mine a while ago. i'm using cheapo molded ones until i get around to buying a spool of wire and plugs and making my own.

That's what I'm hoping to do. I already spent serious moolah on my pedals, so having good quality cables were the next step. But I don't think I can justify spending THAT much when I can do it myself, sounds as good and is more reliable (apparently).
Quote by Vantage
Thankfully enough, I learned how to solder properly in my electronics class when I was in high school.

Just wondering if it was possible to cut the cable I mentioned as you would in a solderless cable kit to fit your board. I'm just confused because all the guys who use solderless kits make it seem like it's not possible to have a custom length soldered cable.

You cut the length of cable yourself.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I always have a hard time finding cheap plugs but I don't really need a whole lot of patch cables with my rig anyway.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Tremolo Bum
I always have a hard time finding cheap plugs but I don't really need a whole lot of patch cables with my rig anyway.

Unfortunately, I do. I've got ten pedals on my board so far, so I'll need about twenty plugs. Solder-free plugs are like $6 or something each.
I use Mogami or Canare cable and usually Switchcraft plugs. I like the standard right angle plugs but a lot of people prefer the pancake style plug, which is more expensive. I've ordered a lot from Redco and HaveInc.

Here is how I make my cables.
Method 1
http://gideond.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/making-your-own-instrument-cables/
Method 2
http://gideond.wordpress.com/2012/01/08/making-your-own-instrument-cables-part-2/