I've got a pretty nice semi hollow body that I love, but I really like to play slide, and do so in mostly E, D, and G tunings. I don't want to be constantly retuning my good guitar so I'm going to buy a cheap electric to use just for playing slide in open tunings. I'm on a severe budget so I was going to get something really cheap to use just for my slide playing, at least until I have the money to get my Tele anyway. I was thinking about picking up a Jay Turser or a Harmony electric for mainly working on my slide. I've heard that playing slide you can get by with a pretty cheap guitar and pickups. Any advise that anyone has the time or inclination to give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. If anyone I insulted or made snide remarks toward on the various guitar review message boards is reading this I completely stand by whatever I may have said.

P.P.S. These icons that are offered beneath the screen I'm typing on are utterly useless.
Quote by Leafs_65
I've got a pretty nice semi hollow body that I love, but I really like to play slide, and do so in mostly E, D, and G tunings. I don't want to be constantly retuning my good guitar so I'm going to buy a cheap electric to use just for playing slide in open tunings. I'm on a severe budget so I was going to get something really cheap to use just for my slide playing, at least until I have the money to get my Tele anyway. I was thinking about picking up a Jay Turser or a Harmony electric for mainly working on my slide. I've heard that playing slide you can get by with a pretty cheap guitar and pickups. Any advise that anyone has the time or inclination to give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. If anyone I insulted or made snide remarks toward on the various guitar review message boards is reading this I completely stand by whatever I may have said.

P.P.S. These icons that are offered beneath the screen I'm typing on are utterly useless.

Bill Barilko disappeared, that summer. He was on a fishing trip. The last goal he ever scored won the leafs the cup. They didn't win another till 1962 the year he was discovered! I stole this from a hockey card..,

Sorry couldn't resist when I saw you name.

Set the action high. Use 11's and set it on your lap. My neighbour plays slide and that was some advice he gave me. He also prefers single coils I think.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Bill Barilko disappeared, that summer. He was on a fishing trip. The last goal he ever scored won the leafs the cup. They didn't win another till 1962 the year he was discovered

That's lyrics from The Tragically Hip's "Fifty Mission Cap"...

I'm in the process of sorting out my slide playing as well. Heavier strings will help with the tone. Setting the action hi will help keep your slide from colliding with each fret as you use it. (that's my current issue- all my guitars' actions are low, so my slide play sounds..."percussive".)

Ideally, the slide should be on your pinky, but not everyone is comfy that way, and I've seen excellent players put it on each and every other (except the thumb).

Slide material affects your tone. Glass, ceramic and metal are most common, but I've seen wood and bone as well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 15, 2013,
Danelectro.

This is probably the 100000nd time I suggest a Danelectro on this forum.

/thread
If I decide to get a guitar especially for slide- as opposed to repurposing one I already own- I'm going for one of these:

http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/belmont.html

The SD '59 HB in the bridge and pair of SD lipsticks already sound great, but they should just kill with a slide.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
That's lyrics from The Tragically Hip's "Fifty Mission Cap"...

You are correct. I forgot to give credit in my rush. Thanks.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion