Page 1 of 3
I was talking to this guy, who says he wants to do some Pantera song with his band for the talent show. He said his bassist dropped out to join another band. I play guitar alright, so would I be able to play bass?
¯\_()_/¯
Nope. Bass requires you to become a master at fingering your mother's vagina, so get busy while there's still time. DO IT.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Playing bass requires at least three years in a conservatory.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I mean I could help you out since doing your mother is quite easy for me, but you'd have to suck my dick first.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Not well
and wrong forum
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
As far as i know, the bass follows the guitar in most Pantera songs, so as long as you can deal with the difference in scale and string thickness, you should be alright.

On the whole though, there are a lot of different principals when it comes to playing bass, depending on what style you are playing in.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
No. You can't play bass if you have creativity. It ruins everything.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
How often do you spill things down your top?
How often do you wake up and think "nah, I'll shower in a few days"?
How often do you eat meat flavoured crisps?

If the answer to all of these is 'often', then you might just manage to pull it off.
Quote by Ometh
I mean I could help you out since doing your mother is quite easy for me, but you'd have to suck my dick first.

If I really want a wild orgasm I insert a tampon in my anus. I then masturbate to orgasm and as I about to cum I pull out the tampon. It gives me wild orgasms
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Having played guitar will give you a solid ground to stand on, especially if you're going to play pick style, as long as you can get the feel for the scale. That said, if you want to continue playing bass you'll notice there's more to be discovered about this splendid instrument.
But what you have with you from playing guitar will probably be enough for a quick stand-in job.
REGGIE
Most basic skills are transferable between the two instruments (obviously bassists would have a problem with chords etc, as guitarist would playing bass without a pick). You'll be fine if you use a pick. I'd practice before though to get use to the longer neck.
Would you pay for UG?

Quote by Duffman123
Fuck no lol.

If I want to pay for awful news articles I'll buy the Daily Mail.
Quote by LeakyFlask
Having played guitar will give you a solid ground to stand on, especially if you're going to play pick style, as long as you can get the feel for the scale. That said, if you want to continue playing bass you'll notice there's more to be discovered about this splendid instrument.
But what you have with you from playing guitar will probably be enough for a quick stand-in job.

Aye.

If you're going to be doing this more frequently you need to understand the different role a bass has in music compared to guitar and incorporate that into your playing, but if you're just going to learn some tab and play a quick song, you'll be alright.
Bass and Drums are the RHYTHYM SECTION you need to be confident that you will keep the entire band rolling with your intuition and the feel of the drums, also when you mess up on bass guitar its waaaay easier to notice then if you mess up on guitar.

So to keep it short, if you are not a competent bass player you can throw every one off, shame yourself and ruin the gig.
you'll be able to make a noise, sure. you'll need to elevate yourself to a higher level of being until you make anything worthwhile
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Sure, why not? Although, I once played on a m8's bass and, was playing finger bass, just playing, doing what I do all, and then; IDK, I feel my finger get wet; I look down and I see blood! I'm like
'You're bass cut me."
and he was like
"OMG my bass!"
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Can regular people touch piano keys without taking any piano lessons?
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by lushacrous
Can regular people touch piano keys without taking any piano lessons?

I once played sitar, that's kinda hard, and I was fat/chubby back then.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Mar 15, 2013,
Quote by luvs2gro
Bass and Drums are the RHYTHYM SECTION you need to be confident that you will keep the entire band rolling with your intuition and the feel of the drums,

True
Quote by luvs2gro
also when you mess up on bass guitar its waaaay easier to notice then if you mess up on guitar..

False.
especially live. therole of the bass is totally supportive if youre louder than the guitar and are easier to hear someone ****ed up
Can you understand how it works and what notes to play? Absolutely.

Can you play it musically and effectively? Not immediately by any stretch.

First off you have to really strengthen your feel and rhythm. I had good feel and rhythm on guitar, but it took me a month or so before I could really get used to hammering them out on my bass.

Next you have to develop the muscle memory. You have a leg up on this since a lot of the mental side from guitar transfers, but between the longer scales, heavier strings, different distances between strings, etc., it's still a different thing to play, it's not just a guitar with four strings an octave lower.

It's easier than a lot of instruments because a lot of the fundamental mechanics transfer, but it's still an instrument you have to learn.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by Casketcreep
To be perfectly honest any guitarist who tries to be condescending towards bassists and imply that they can play it just as well is laughable. It's an entirely different instrument.

Oh, you're one of those guys
Quote by captainsnazz
Oh, you're one of those guys

Well I'll fully admit that if you're the sort of musician who plays 5 fifth chords per song, and our bassist only ever root notes then yeah you could all do that.

Playing bass properly is considerably different.
I played rhythm guitar in a band, and the bassist left, so I bought a bass and it was way easy. Although being a guitarist, I try to complicate my parts as much as possible without going over the top.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
Quote by Casketcreep
Well I'll fully admit that if you're the sort of musician who plays 5 fifth chords per song, and our bassist only ever root notes then yeah you could all do that.

Playing bass properly is considerably different.

'Properly' playing a musical instrument?
The point is that the interface for interacting with a guitar and a bass guitar is sufficiently similar that one musician can transfer from one to the other with relative ease. The only thing that takes time is developing a 'style' given the slightly physical constraints of the instrument, but there's nothing stopping a guitarist playing a bass in exactly the same way as they play guitar.

Damn you for making me write a serious post
Last edited by captainsnazz at Mar 15, 2013,
It also depends on what your going for. Are you playing like the ramones bassist, if so then you'll just chub away root notes and be fine. If your trying to be like John Entwistle/Les Claypool then that will def take some practice.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
Quote by K!!LsWiTcH
True

False.
especially live. therole of the bass is totally supportive if youre louder than the guitar and are easier to hear someone ****ed up

I disagree, I still believe bass is easier to hear mistakes on, I guess there are many factors to take into account though

Maybe its because I have played guitar long enough that when I mess up I can mask it and make it seem less noticeable
Last edited by luvs2gro at Mar 15, 2013,
If you can play the trooper on guitar, you cant play it on bass. You will be confused from string distance and piss on ur pants. Then u will never make joke from bass players again!
^

Apparently, UG is a bunch of slow learners. I pretty much only play guitar, but the first time I really picked up a bass, I could play it just fine. I even do bass parts to songs I write that aren't just root notes or anything, it's somewhat complicated, but being bass, it's really easy.

If you're doing things like Pantera, practice like 10 minutes and you should have NO trouble whatsoever. Going from guitar to bass is incredibly easy, even if you want to develop your own style. The one thing you may have trouble with is slapping properly, but it doesn't take long to learn that either. They say it's a completely different instrument, but it's monumentally easier to learn and play than guitar.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by Casketcreep
To a professional standard.

context, dude. what percentage of talent shows are held at the "professional" level? you can take any mundane task and turn it into an art with high standards if you wanted to.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Alright, so the tension is building up in here a bit. Now, without being condescending towards one or the other, both guitar and bass are fretted string instruments, usually tuned similarly albeit one a lot lower than the other and as such they are much easier to move between than say, a piano and a trumpet. That's all there is to it really. Developing your skills and style on either will of course take time, what with the difference in number of strings/scale lenght etc.
REGGIE
if you call power chords "fifth chords," you are a dork nub. also this has nothing to do with "professional" musicianship, it is a talent show.
You could probably get away with it if it's a really simple part. When I was 14 I'd only been playing guitar tow years but managed to cover the bass spot for a band covering Maria by Blondie at some school music event at Sage. I just had to play root notes all song so I got through it.
Bass is different than guitar. You could still use a pick, but it'd have to be a very heavy pic. A lot of stuff carries over from guitar, but you'd need to practice. A LOT.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 15, 2013,
I've never played bass before, learn bass parts on guitar though.

Months ago I had a very vivid dream that I played bass in a friends band, in the dream it felt really weird but it sounded OK.

You should be fine, my dreams are really reliable to base real life on
Page 1 of 3