I am thinking to sell off my Line 6 Spider IV and get another amp. Any input on which amp should I get? I am willing to spend like around $350. Thanks
It depends on what you want, cause some amps have 2 inputs whereas others only have one so if your using it with more than one thing going in at the same time you could think about getting an amp with 2 or more inputs. i have two amps but they only have one lead input on each so i advise against that...
hope this helps abit im betting that others will have the exact name of an amp that would be good for your use.
To The World I Am A Stranger, To A Stranger I Am A Possible Serial Killer

Quote by Wolfinator-x
You guys are so funny xD xoxo <3

Quote by Doveri
Well a human can't sing an Em since that's a chord

If you mean Eb3/E3, then that is a contralto voice.
^This dude musta found that baggie I dropped

Fill this out, then we help

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
definitly better than my input haha
To The World I Am A Stranger, To A Stranger I Am A Possible Serial Killer

Quote by Wolfinator-x
You guys are so funny xD xoxo <3

Quote by Doveri
Well a human can't sing an Em since that's a chord

If you mean Eb3/E3, then that is a contralto voice.
As requested, here's my info:-

Budget - Looking to spend around $300 to $400

Genres - pop, alternative rock, punk rock, pop rock, like blink182 and yes I do need cleans as well.

New or Used - New.. Open for suggestion for used gears.

Home or Gig - Home for now but will gig someday

Closest City - I am in Canada. On the west coast near to Seattle.

Current Gear - Epiphone Les Paul Traditional, Boss DS-1 distortion pedal and Line 6 Spider IV 75. I am not satisfy with my current amp. I think it sound too digital. Just wondering, does solid state amp sound better than modeling amp? thinking to go for a solid state amp.
Quote by Eissac123
definitly better than my input haha

Thanks for your input too
Depending what's in your area I'd say

Used; Valveking, DSL401 combo, Laney AOR (depending on availability)

But I'll let someone with more knowledge and experience chip in here.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Riverb
As requested, here's my info:-

Budget - Looking to spend around $300 to $400

Genres - pop, alternative rock, punk rock, pop rock, like blink182 and yes I do need cleans as well.

New or Used - New.. Open for suggestion for used gears.

Home or Gig - Home for now but will gig someday

Closest City - I am in Canada. On the west coast near to Seattle.

Current Gear - Epiphone Les Paul Traditional, Boss DS-1 distortion pedal and Line 6 Spider IV 75. I am not satisfy with my current amp. I think it sound too digital. Just wondering, does solid state amp sound better than modeling amp? thinking to go for a solid state amp.

Depends on the solid state amp and the modeling amp. But the solid states I have tried have sounded kind of harsh and not that dynamic. But they are for different purposes. Digital modeling amps try to emulate other amps and the basic solid states create own sounds. But for that price you might be able to buy a used tube amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I personally would go for a Jet City JCA22 or anything else in the series, but I'm biased ( I own a JCA50H).

I play in a pop/punk/rock band, and my Jet City serves me well.

If you want to hear a deacent recording of what it sounds like, follow the link in my sig to my bands page, and listen to the song "two sides". That was recorded using my JCA50H and a JCA22H in unicison. Lp straight in, with the exception of a TS-9 in the pre chorus build.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Eh, $350 CAD really isn't much for an amp. Used is your best bet, to be honest.
Also, on types of amps I'd (and so will a lot of people here) recommend a tube of sorts. Particularly if you're gigging.

Marshall Classic 5 would get those tones, I'd have thought. Not a lot of clean headroom though, and might struggle in band situation. Would have to be used.

A used Valveking would be a step up. You might want to change the speaker and mod it later down the road - from what I've heard they're not brilliant stock, but should be better than a Spider. Again, used.

Laney VC15 if you can get one used. Might be able to get one new within budget, but I'd be surprised. Even here in the UK they're more than that.

Jet City JCA20. No idea about price over there, but probably used again.
RIP Adam
Last edited by SexyLikeAPig at Mar 15, 2013,
A new JCA20H is $300 CAD new, the JCA22H is 390 new. well within your budget
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
A new JCA20H is $300 CAD new, the JCA22H is 390 new. well within your budget

Ahh fair enough.

I'd still recommend used TS, so you can get a decent cab with it. Particularly the 22, as that's nearer the top end of your budget new.
RIP Adam
Hey guys,

I been doing some research on the amps that are suggested here. I went to youtube and listen to how each amps sound like. I like the peavey valveking 112 and Jet City JCA22H. They sound way better than my Line 6 Spider IV. I think I will get either one of this.
You wont get a sterile clean sound out of the jca22h. But it'll do high gain sounds quite well. There isn't much clean headroom on it, but there is enough to work with.
how about peavey valveking 112? Anyone can give me some feedback about this amp?
Quote by Riverb
how about peavey valveking 112? Anyone can give me some feedback about this amp?

I haven't tried one, but I know a fair bit from others have said on here. It's okay stock, not fantastic, but it will be better than your Spider most likely. From what I've heard, they need a better speaker and modding to reach their full potential. If you were to get one, I'd just leave as is, and if you grow to dislike it you could always put a new speaker in, which is fairly cheap and easy to do.

Personally, I'd go with the Jet City - it seems more suited to your genres. But if you want pristine cleans at high volumes, then it won't be any good.
RIP Adam
Quote by HammerParty
You wont get a sterile clean sound out of the jca22h. But it'll do high gain sounds quite well. There isn't much clean headroom on it, but there is enough to work with.

I disagree...

When I was looking at buying my JCA, like I said earlier, I really wanted the 22 but ended up with the 50 becasue the 22 was out of stock.

Everyone here was telling me to go with the 50 becasue the 22 has no clean headroom. So I done some research.

After doing my research, and talking to a buddy of mine who gigs with a 22H 3+ nights a week in a rock/blues band, he said the 22 in more then enough amp... His band plays a lot of covers that require cleans, and he said that even using the amp unmiced at practiced, he was able to keep his clean channel at an acceptable clean level. He said that live it was fine, becasue he was always miced.

Sure youre not going to get fender cleans, but they wil rival any marshall...

Thats just my .02!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by SexyLikeAPig
I haven't tried one, but I know a fair bit from others have said on here. It's okay stock, not fantastic, but it will be better than your Spider most likely. From what I've heard, they need a better speaker and modding to reach their full potential. If you were to get one, I'd just leave as is, and if you grow to dislike it you could always put a new speaker in, which is fairly cheap and easy to do.

Personally, I'd go with the Jet City - it seems more suited to your genres. But if you want pristine cleans at high volumes, then it won't be any good.

Why does it need to change the speaker and do modification to get its full potential?
I would get a line6 flextone 2 or 3. Way different than a spider it uses vetta based tones.
Quote by dlowe102
I would get a line6 flextone 2 or 3. Way different than a spider it uses vetta based tones.

Thanks for your suggestion. will consider about it. Anyway, I posted my amp for sale on cragislist and someone wants to swap his amp with my amp. His amp is a Vox ADT50 XL 2x12. Any advice for this?
more a step sideways than forward....
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Quote by Riverb
Thanks for your suggestion. will consider about it. Anyway, I posted my amp for sale on cragislist and someone wants to swap his amp with my amp. His amp is a Vox ADT50 XL 2x12. Any advice for this?

To be truthful, he's getting a raw deal. The Vox is superior to your Spider. It's a solid modeller amp, but not the best amp in the world, and I wouldn't say it's that great for punk. But then, I've never had a chance to really go in-depth with the gainier side of things on one. They have nice cleans and crunch though. It's certainly better than your Spider, and if it's a straight swap it's a good deal, but the other amps we suggested would probably get the tones you want better.
RIP Adam
Quote by SexyLikeAPig
To be truthful, he's getting a raw deal. The Vox is superior to your Spider. It's a solid modeller amp, but not the best amp in the world, and I wouldn't say it's that great for punk. But then, I've never had a chance to really go in-depth with the gainier side of things on one. They have nice cleans and crunch though. It's certainly better than your Spider, and if it's a straight swap it's a good deal, but the other amps we suggested would probably get the tones you want better.

He wants a straight swap but I don't think of accepting his offer. I rather sell it and upgrade to a better amp.
Last edited by Riverb at Mar 20, 2013,
Quote by Riverb
He wants a straight swap but I don't think of accepting his offer. I rather sell it and upgrade to a better amp.

Seems wise. The Vox might be easier to sell than the Spider, but it's not really worth swapping and being in more or less the same position, unless you really like the sound of the Vox and want to use it and upgrade later.
RIP Adam
I'd swap then sell the Vox imo, its worth a bit more money and Vox has a better rep than line6
^ True, but the Line 6 is more popular, so there's probably a larger market for them which might make the POD easier to sell. So it depends on the price difference in selling and the ease of sale matched with need for a speedy sale. And you always have to factor in pain-in-the-ass factor when dealing with used gear sales.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60