I'm looking around for a new amp, as my little 20 watt just doesn't do anymore. I was thinking about the Mesa/Boogie Mark V, and was wondering could i get a Metallica tone that sounds like their first five albums? And also a Misfits/punk tone? This is my first thread, so go easy on me!
Mesa designed the Mark V to do just about anything from sparkling cleans to the heavy stuff, so it should suit your needs. But with all of those knobs (just wait until you see all of the controls on the back of the amp, as if the knob-fest on the front wasn't enough) you are going to have to spend some serious time with it to get to know how to coax all of those tones from it. It is on the pricey side, but most people who buy them seem to adore them.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Mar 17, 2013,
I agree Ippon^

Quote by Ippon

Welcome to UG. Follow the above so we can help.

As a previous Mark V owner- simply stated- maybe. The first two Metallica albums were Marshall- master was Mark IiC+ which the mark V can do as well as pull of a convincing And Justice For All.

I wouldn't call it a punk amp...

What are your priorities for sound to cover?
Quote by R45VT
I wouldn't call it a punk amp...

NoFX. Offspring. Pennywise.

I'm sure there's more, but those pop off the top of my head.
You could definitely get close, but I wouldn't say spot on.

The Mark V can pretty much do anything you want it to, you just have to really spend some time tweaking. The first week I got mine, I had to spend that entire week, tweaking everyday in order to get the amp dialed in just right.

It all took trial and error. One day I'll get a tone and like it, the next day I find an improvement.

The Mark V is what I like to call a tone builder. Where as you build your foundation, you tweak it as you go and build it up to where you want it to go. Once you get it dialed in just right, it's quite possibly the best amp anyone could buy, at least in my opinion.

It is on the pricey side, that's for sure, so I'd save your cash and make sure you have enough. Otherwise, I don't see why you wouldn't be satisfied with it.

The thing is, do you play other genre's other than Hard Rock/Metal and Punk? Because if that's the case, then the Mark V is up your alley. But if you just mainly play that, then I'd say a much more simpler amp would fit better.
My Main Gear/Rig!
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Jackson KVX10 King V (w/ JB/59 Humbucker Combo)
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer 30th Anniversay
ISP Decimator G String Model
Quote by some_dude_2
NoFX. Offspring. Pennywise.

I'm sure there's more, but those pop off the top of my head.

A Recto has a thicker sound.

When I think punk I think JCM900.
Yeah TS, I feel like getting a mark V would be going around your ass to get to your thumb.

I think a JCM900 or maybe a JCM2000 (better option really) would be the way to go. Good solid rock tone, with a boost to tighten it upyou can at least get some earlier 'Tallica, and I definitely think it is suitable punk amp.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by madmax33096
You could definitely get close, but I wouldn't say spot on.

The Mark V can pretty much do anything you want it to, you just have to really spend some time tweaking. The first week I got mine, I had to spend that entire week, tweaking everyday in order to get the amp dialed in just right.

It all took trial and error. One day I'll get a tone and like it, the next day I find an improvement.

The Mark V is what I like to call a tone builder. Where as you build your foundation, you tweak it as you go and build it up to where you want it to go. Once you get it dialed in just right, it's quite possibly the best amp anyone could buy, at least in my opinion.

It is on the pricey side, that's for sure, so I'd save your cash and make sure you have enough. Otherwise, I don't see why you wouldn't be satisfied with it.

The thing is, do you play other genre's other than Hard Rock/Metal and Punk? Because if that's the case, then the Mark V is up your alley. But if you just mainly play that, then I'd say a much more simpler amp would fit better.

I also play some classical on my electric, and a bit of blues here and there. Looking at all the replies, I think the Mark V is the way to go. One last question though, would I be better off with a Dual Rec, seeing as it looks a lot more simple to use?
Mark V is a beast and I wouldn't recommend it unless you REALLY know how to EQ. But once you do, god damn those tones are amazing. Mark V is the flagship model of Mesa/Boogie right now. At that price range also look at Dual Rectifier, Diezel VH4. For equal versatility at a much cheaper price, look for a JSX.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
The question I would ask is, why wouldn't you want all those options? Ok I am an engineer so maybe I am naturally inclined to things with lots of dials, switches and knobs on them, but from what I hear, you can pretty much make this amp into whatever you want. I used to have a JCM2000 and for what it's worth, I wasn't massively keen on the sound
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by R45VT
A Recto has a thicker sound.

When I think punk I think JCM900.

NoFX, Offspring and Pennywise have all used Marks.

When I think punk I think I'll play whatever the f*ck I want.
Quote by some_dude_2
NoFX, Offspring and Pennywise have all used Marks.

When I think punk I think I'll play whatever the f*ck I want.

Cool story
Quote by _Le0n_
I also play some classical on my electric, and a bit of blues here and there. Looking at all the replies, I think the Mark V is the way to go. One last question though, would I be better off with a Dual Rec, seeing as it looks a lot more simple to use?

I own both a Mark V and a Recto. They're two totally different beasts. Both will do Metallica all day long. The Mark V will do the MoP/AJFA/Black album tone without much effort. The Recto will do Load/Reload. You can play any Metallica song on either of them and it'll be passible. No one's going to call the tone police because you're not using the exact same sound.

For punk... either will do. Classic Misfits was either an MXR Distortion+ or a Big Muff into an Ampeg if I remember correctly. Offspring is all Mark IV. NoFX used Mark IIIs, IVs, Rectos and now the Mark V. Pennywise used Mark IVs before switching to Rectos. Around the turn of the century it seemed like just about every pop-punk band used a Recto.

For blues, the Mark V has the edge. Marks are smoother and sound great at lower gain settings. Rectos have a more grainy texture to the distortion that's always present. They'll do a passible low gain but it's not really their strength. Off the top of my head both Keith Richards and George Thorogood were/are Mark users (Mark I and II respectively).

For classical, it's hard to say. Both the Mark V and the newest generation of Rectos have great sounding clean channels. You'd have to try both and see which one you like more.
Quote by some_dude_2
I own both a Mark V and a Recto. They're two totally different beasts. Both will do Metallica all day long. The Mark V will do the MoP/AJFA/Black album tone without much effort. The Recto will do Load/Reload. You can play any Metallica song on either of them and it'll be passible. No one's going to call the tone police because you're not using the exact same sound.

For punk... either will do. Classic Misfits was either an MXR Distortion+ or a Big Muff into an Ampeg if I remember correctly. Offspring is all Mark IV. NoFX used Mark IIIs, IVs, Rectos and now the Mark V. Pennywise used Mark IVs before switching to Rectos. Around the turn of the century it seemed like just about every pop-punk band used a Recto.

For blues, the Mark V has the edge. Marks are smoother and sound great at lower gain settings. Rectos have a more grainy texture to the distortion that's always present. They'll do a passible low gain but it's not really their strength. Off the top of my head both Keith Richards and George Thorogood were/are Mark users (Mark I and II respectively).

For classical, it's hard to say. Both the Mark V and the newest generation of Rectos have great sounding clean channels. You'd have to try both and see which one you like more.

That's a much better response.

TS:
I would play both a Mark V and a Recto. Both are great amps and the rest will be up to you when you play them.
Quote by some_dude_2

For punk... either will do. Classic Misfits was either an MXR Distortion+ or a Big Muff into an Ampeg if I remember correctly. Offspring is all Mark IV. NoFX used Mark IIIs, IVs, Rectos and now the Mark V. Pennywise used Mark IVs before switching to Rectos. Around the turn of the century it seemed like just about every pop-punk band used a Recto...

Great points and let's not forget that how it sounds in the mix is more important.

For most of Metallica, I'm not sure which amp is my favorite: JCM 800, Mark 3, Uberschall Twin Jet, VH4, HotRod 100+, Ecstasy, RoadKing II, etc.

_Le0n_, if you've thoroughly auditioned the Mark V and love it, buy it.
Like what's been said before, the Mark's and the Recto's are two completely different beasts. The Mark has a different voicing than the Recto does.

Rectos are a bit scooped in the midrange, has a loose bottom end (Which can be fixed with an OD). Overall, you can pretty much get any tone out of these as well. The only thing it doesn't have is a 5 band EQ like the Mark V does, but if you want to have that ability to adjust your EQ, then a good EQ pedal will do the trick.

The Mark has a really tight bottom end, has PLENTY of mid-range, and is a bit more flexible as far as tone chasing and you can still scoop the Mids to get that classic Metallica tone so many people chase after.

So, as you can see, two completely different amps, but the Mark V takes a little more time to get just right, and you really have to know how to EQ. Otherwise, you'll get frustrated with yourself and then you'll think you wasted money, which isn't the case at all.

But like someone has said, if you truly want to hear the difference, find a store in your area that may happen to have both, and A/B them that way. That's the only way I can say will truly determine your purchase.
My Main Gear/Rig!
Mesa Boogie Mark V
If you do go the Mark V route, get the head and not the combo. The combo can sound a little "boxy" at times, but I feel like it goes away when I'm playing with other musicians in the mix. Still a great amp though.

EDIT: Something to consider, I don't play any forms of metal/hard rock.
Last edited by schecter ftw at Mar 16, 2013,
Quote by schecter ftw
If you do go the Mark V route, get the head and not the combo. The combo can sound a little "boxy" at times, but I feel like it goes away when I'm playing with other musicians in the mix.

This. Playing the head version through a cab makes a HUGE difference. I've A/B'd the Combo and the Head and the Head all the way. The combo is good, but the head through a cab is on a whole different level, IMO
My Main Gear/Rig!
Mesa Boogie Mark V
I played mine through the slant cab, non oversized and it made a difference, but it wasn't a huge deal.

I do like like the head on top of a 2x12. That's a good look.

I regret selling the slant cab.

(Also sold my mark V)
For the punk sound, depends what kind of punk you mean.

70's and early 80's punk was all Marshalls and Fenders turned up really loud. That 90s punk revival wave was mostly Dual Recs and Marks, so the Mark V will be good for that. Channel 2 will get you relatively close to the old school sound but not exact.
Quote by R45VT
I played mine through the slant cab, non oversized and it made a difference, but it wasn't a huge deal.

I do like like the head on top of a 2x12. That's a good look.

I regret selling the slant cab.

(Also sold my mark V)

Out of curiosity, why did you end up selling your Mark V?
Quote by schecter ftw
Out of curiosity, why did you end up selling your Mark V?

Not enough bass on the low end. It was too tight, even in the extreme mode. I found myself on the Mark I channel 2 the most.

That and the fact I am getting married to it freed up some cash. I sold it above the going selling rate. I would not have gone below what I wanted, its a great amp and would have been just happy keeping it.

As it is- I haven't missed it yet. I would have thought I would have regretted selling it by now but that isn't the case.

I've been playing my Krankenstein + and modded Blue Voodoo.

No where near the versatility but the Krank is a monster for high gain, coupled with a master volume it's been great for home use the past few weeks.
Quote by pinheadslts75
I personally feel the Mark Vs are a little bit gutless in the bass and low mids zone.

The extreme mode actually has a bit of a low end, albeit only compared to the mark IV mode.

Channel 2 mark I mode has a huge amount of bass. It just isn't voiced for metal.

That's were the rectos come into play....

Just like a car test drive before you buy.
Tried out a used Mark V at my local guitar store today and loved it, so I'm gonna go with it. Have to get the money together now! Thanks for all the replies
Make sure you do a NAD. Post a picture and a review, and if capable make a short video showing it.

It's a great amp.