Depends on whether or not you have a trem already, and if so, what type it is.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Quote by DESTROYER5000
I have no trem but I will be building soon and want to know how hard it is to rout a cavity for it

It's a lot easier if you have a router and a template. Oh, and the right bit helps, too.

If you don't have a lot of experience with a router, then you might want to get some on scrap wood first. Do it on the scrap wood until you can get it good without mistakes, then cut on your limited supply of veneer core.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Quote by jetwash69
It's a lot easier if you have a router and a template. Oh, and the right bit helps, too.

If you don't have a lot of experience with a router, then you might want to get some on scrap wood first. Do it on the scrap wood until you can get it good without mistakes, then cut on your limited supply of veneer core.

+1, clamp your template down and properly secure the bit, you're going to want to make sure that your template is firmly secured, if it moves it can and will mess your project up very badly. Then practice practice practice on scrap , I must have put some 20 humbucker holes between the 2x4's I was practicing on, the last 3 or so were dead on perfect.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Quote by jetwash69

I was going to have my dad route it, and yes, I think it's quite humorous the way everyone makes fun of me because I'm using veneer core
You don't
GEAR

Ibanez RG350EX
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt
Korg CA-40 Chromatic Tuner
Fender 351 Medium Guitar Picks
Quote by DESTROYER5000
I was going to have my dad route it, and yes, I think it's quite humorous the way everyone makes fun of me because I'm using veneer core

This isn't the Pit. I'm not making fun of you. Here. Or anywhere else, really, either. I was trying to laugh with you in the Pit, but if you're actually totally serious in all those Pit threads, then I can understand how you might not see it that way.

EDIT: Are you doing a surface mount or sunk mount install?
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 15, 2013,
Quote by jetwash69
This isn't the Pit. I'm not making fun of you. Here. Or anywhere else, really, either. I was trying to laugh with you in the Pit, but if you're actually totally serious in all those Pit threads, then I can understand how you might not see it that way.

EDIT: Are you doing a surface mount or sunk mount install?

What I meant was EVERYONE wherever I post about build questions I get flak for building it out of plywood.

What does a sunk mount have over a surface mount? Does a surface mount only allow you lower the pitch?
Quote by DESTROYER5000
What I meant was EVERYONE wherever I post about build questions I get flak for building it out of plywood.

No need to shout. There's bold, italics, and underlining available to help stress certain words without being rude. No need to be so sensitive.

Anyway, at least you're using veneer core instead of the lower grade plywoods.

Quote by DESTROYER5000

What does a sunk mount have over a surface mount? Does a surface mount only allow you lower the pitch?

You got it. And it won't be a "floating" trem. Also it would require a different neck angle. But then you'd only have to route out the cavity in the back. And it wouldn't be like the ESP you're trying to emulate, either.
Quote by shiggityswah

Quote by jetwash69
No need to shout. There's bold, italics, and underlining available to help stress certain words without being rude. No need to be so sensitive.

Anyway, at least you're using veneer core instead of the lower grade plywoods.

You got it. And it won't be a "floating" trem. Also it would require a different neck angle. But then you'd only have to route out the cavity in the back. And it wouldn't be like the ESP you're trying to emulate, either.

Sorry, It wasn't meant as a shout it was just to emphasize "everyone".

Then I'm going to do a sunk mount.

Also, what paint scheme do you think would look cool for the destroyer alexi
Quote by DESTROYER5000
...Also, what paint scheme do you think would look cool for the destroyer alexi

Anything you can pull off and make look good. If it ends up looking sloppy, then what's the point? I'd go for solid colors on a first build.

And make sure you seal the edges well so you can't see the plies. Your uncle appears a master at that, so hope he can help you out with that. You'll need to do that for the bridge routes, too.

I got a friend with a plywood '80s Cort, and the sides look good, but you can see the plies in the pup routes and the bridge route.
Quote by shiggityswah

Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 16, 2013,
Quote by jetwash69
Anything you can pull off and make look good. If it ends up looking sloppy, then what's the point? I'd go for solid colors on a first build.

And make sure you seal the edges well so you can't see the plies. Your uncle appears a master at that, so hope he can help you out with that. You'll need to do that for the bridge routes, too.

I got a friend with a plywood '80s Cort, and the sides look good, but you can see the plies int the pup routes and the bridge route.

I'm thinking for the edges I will use a lot of wood filler and primer.

I also just saw the alexi greeny and think it looks cool minus the stupid skull.

I just found out that my uncle loaned the second bigfoot guitar( the one with humbuckers)
To a guy touring with tenacious D who dresses up like bigfoot and now jack black wants to buy it.

Any ways, wood filler and primer, will they do the trick? And how do you get the sig up by your avatar?
Quote by DESTROYER5000
I'm thinking for the edges I will use a lot of wood filler and primer.

Primer for sure. Ask your uncle about the filler. I'm sure some types would work better than others. If you have the filler too thick it will be really fragile (at least with a lot of fillers you'd find at a hardware store.

Quote by DESTROYER5000
I also just saw the alexi greeny and think it looks cool minus the stupid skull.

Wut? SKULLS ARE COOL!!!

Maybe you could put this in place of the green skull:

(Invalid img)

Seriously, I don't know whether they screen print those stripes on there, whether it's a decal, or if they do it with paint. It seems like it would take a lot of talent to do it and make it look good. I mean something like guys working in autobody shops where they do custom hotrod paint jobs could do. And even though many of them have 20 years+ experience, I think only about 10% or less could do it and make it look good so you you don't see the different layers of paint. It also can be difficult to make a bright color stand out over black paint. You might have to put a couple of coats of white under the green. And isn't the outside glossy black and then the top flat black? Haven't seen one in person, but the pics online look like that might be the case.

Quote by DESTROYER5000
I just found out that my uncle loaned the second bigfoot guitar( the one with humbuckers)
To a guy touring with tenacious D who dresses up like bigfoot and now jack black wants to buy it.

It would be a fair trade if they gave him the Pick of Destiny in exchange.

Quote by DESTROYER5000
...And how do you get the sig up by your avatar?

I don't understand this question.
Quote by shiggityswah

Quote by jetwash69
Primer for sure. Ask your uncle about the filler. I'm sure some types would work better than others. If you have the filler too thick it will be really fragile (at least with a lot of fillers you'd find at a hardware store.

Wut? SKULLS ARE COOL!!!

Maybe you could put this in place of the green skull:

(Invalid img)

Seriously, I don't know whether they screen print those stripes on there, whether it's a decal, or if they do it with paint. It seems like it would take a lot of talent to do it and make it look good. I mean something like guys working in autobody shops where they do custom hotrod paint jobs could do. And even though many of them have 20 years+ experience, I think only about 10% or less could do it and make it look good so you you don't see the different layers of paint. It also can be difficult to make a bright color stand out over black paint. You might have to put a couple of coats of white under the green. And isn't the outside glossy black and then the top flat black? Haven't seen one in person, but the pics online look like that might be the case.

It would be a fair trade if they gave him the Pick of Destiny in exchange.

I don't understand this question.

I mean like some people on here have stuff like "UG's Nigel tufnel" above they're avatar.

I personally think that the skull looks cheesy.

I'm not sure about paint details, I will have to stop in guitar center to check out the esp alexi as I have not seen one in person
Quote by DESTROYER5000
I mean like some people on here have stuff like "UG's Nigel tufnel" above they're avatar.

You mean where ours both say "Registered User"? I suspect it's controlled by the "Status" window in your profile page. Considering I've never messed with it and it still shows the same yours does. If that doesn't work, then ask someone who has different text up there.
Actually that's your "headline" and it's the first thing you can adjust when you click on the "Edit Profile" link on the left in your profile view.

Quote by DESTROYER5000

I personally think that the skull looks cheesy.

Well, I personnally think flying Vs look cheesy, but you don't see me posting that here. Oh, wait... Just kidding, it's all subjective.
But skulls are cool.

Quote by DESTROYER5000

I'm not sure about paint details, I will have to stop in guitar center to check out the esp alexi as I have not seen one in person

Is there an LTD version? I've been in a lot of Guitar Centers and never seen a new ESP for sale there. Not sure if I've even seen a used one there.

Anyway, the point is if you want it to look good, do something within your capababilites. That type of paint scheme doesn't seem like something you'd realistically be able to do and make it look really good without 10 years+ experience and the right industrial equipment. Maybe try it out on some scrap wood first and see if you really want your first build to look like that.

EDIT: Changed info about "headline" above
Quote by shiggityswah

Quote by jetwash69
You mean where ours both say "Registered User"? I suspect it's controlled by the "Status" window in your profile page. Considering I've never messed with it and it still shows the same yours does. If that doesn't work, then ask someone who has different text up there.
Actually that's your "headline" and it's the first thing you can adjust when you click on the "Edit Profile" link on the left in your profile view.

Well, I personnally think flying Vs look cheesy, but you don't see me posting that here. Oh, wait... Just kidding, it's all subjective.
But skulls are cool.

Is there an LTD version? I've been in a lot of Guitar Centers and never seen a new ESP for sale there. Not sure if I've even seen a used one there.

Anyway, the point is if you want it to look good, do something within your capababilites. That type of paint scheme doesn't seem like something you'd realistically be able to do and make it look really good without 10 years+ experience and the right industrial equipment. Maybe try it out on some scrap wood first and see if you really want your first build to look like that.

EDIT: Changed info about "headline" above

Thanks about the headline thing.

Yes they do make a LTD version of the alexi 600
Quote by DESTROYER5000
Thanks about the headline thing.

You're welcome.

Quote by DESTROYER5000
Yes they do make a LTD version of the alexi 600

Cool. Sometimes GC has limited selection compared to places like Sweetwater. I'd seen black and white LTD Vs in GC, but never a Greenie. Maybe that's all you need to see, though, to get the idea for what you want to do. Either way, good luck. Looking foward to seeing the progress on this guitar.
Quote by shiggityswah

Quote by jetwash69
You're welcome.

Cool. Sometimes GC has limited selection compared to places like Sweetwater. I'd seen black and white LTD Vs in GC, but never a Greenie. Maybe that's all you need to see, though, to get the idea for what you want to do. Either way, good luck. Looking foward to seeing the progress on this guitar.

So the pinstripes are not beyond my abilities.

I talked to my uncle today and he said for the edge ply use bondo wood filler.