Hey guys, what are some jazz artists that use electric guitar ? and what are some good songs to start learn and get into it ?

Thanks
Like, a very large portion of them??
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Duke Ellington

I'm sick and tired of people calling America the stupidest country in the world. I personally think Europe is the stupidest country.
Use the correct forum, not the pit. The next post will demonstrate why.
Jazz is a broad genre. Check out Wes Montgomery and Mike Stern for two contrasting styles.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Mar 15, 2013,
Grant Green, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Pat Metheny, John McLaughlin, Larry Coryell, George Benson, Paul Pieper, Kenny Burrell, Lenny Breau, etc.
Last edited by JackWhiteIsButts at Mar 15, 2013,
Hydra150, Imma go check them.

captainsnazz, yes its a reference to them.

JackWhiteIsButts, Thanks!
Jimmy Bryant and Danny Gatton
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
If you want to play jazz guitar, you should be learning from the sax and trumpet players.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Joe Pass and Kenny Ball.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
You should be looking at variety of jazz artists and not just limiting yourself to guitarists.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Xiaoxi
If you want to play jazz guitar, you should be learning from the sax and trumpet players.

This is good advise. My Jazz/Guitar teacher always said if you want to play a style you need to listen to a style. Just listen to as much jazz as possible and pick as many elements that you could apply to a guitar.
Gilad Hekselman is great, his stuff with Ari Hoenig is off the wall. Also check out Wolfgang Mutshpiel in Friendly Travelers or with Dhafer Youssef, some extraordinary musicianship. Other than that, John Abercrombie, Scofield & Metheny, Johnathon Kreisberg are all some pretty solid cats.

My all time favorite is probably Kurt Rosenwinkel though, listen to East Coast Love Affair, fall in love and learn. My biggest recommendation for you though is to learn your pentatonics. All the aforementioned (except maybe Metheny and Abercrombie (as a general rule)) shred the pentatonic in weird and crazy ways all day, erryday.
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica (D'addario Flatwound)
Roland Cube 60 watt
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Boss RC-2
Montana Acoustic Guitar(Martin Regular)
Thanks everyone for the recommendations and tips!

iron_mainde93 Thanks man, I appreciate the recommendation.
Quote by iron_maiden93

My all time favorite is probably Kurt Rosenwinkel though, listen to East Coast Love Affair, fall in love and learn.

But I wouldn't recommend him as a starting point. Kurt's music is very advanced and often tonally ambiguous. That makes it very hard to grasp as a beginner.

My biggest recommendation for you though is to learn your pentatonics. All the aforementioned (except maybe Metheny and Abercrombie (as a general rule)) shred the pentatonic in weird and crazy ways all day, erryday.
Sorry, but this is completely wrong. Jazz in the bebop tradition has almost nothing to do with pentatonics or any set scale. Approaching this style by scale is gonna lead you to nowhere. It is all about chord tones, ways of approaching them, and ingraining the language/syntax through listening.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 16, 2013,
There is a serious lack of Jimmy Bruno in this thread.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Personally, I'm an Al Di Meola fan. But like others have said there are a lot of aspects to consider when it comes to jazz.

And kudos to SuperKid...I'm a huge Charlie Christian fan
This thread should be closed for not having Tuck Andress mentioned on the 1st page.
http://youtu.be/RwOOEk038v0

But for more accessible players, Wes is a standard. Frank Gambale is great for fusion playing too. He's got some great lessons up on Youtube too. Gambale also is known for making a system for sweep arpeggios.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by Xiaoxi

In today's day and age he doesn't have to.

Anyway, check out Jonathan Kreisberg, Stochelo Rosenberg, Tal Farlow, Django Reinhardt, Lulo Reinhardt, Sebastien Giniaux, Gonzalo Bergara (my personal fav guitarist at the moment), Adrien Moignard, Antoine Boyer, Joscho Stephen, Frank Vignola, Bireli Lagrene, Jimmy Rosenberg, Tchavo Schmidt, and Robin Nolan.

Those are all guitarists and pretty much all Gypsy Jazz or in some way related to that genre but they can all play Jazz in general well. If you want any more just ask and I can give you vocalists, pianists, bassists, etc.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Quote by BlueAltitudes
In today's day and age he doesn't have to.

^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by piratemetalhead
I never really found much interest in guitar focused jazz... check out some Sun Ra

As much respect as I have for you for mentioning Sun Ra...
TS, don't do it.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Thanks Again everyone!

Quote by piratemetalhead
I never really found much interest in guitar focused jazz... check out some Sun Ra

I know Sun Ra, I love it!
Quote by bloodshed344
Here's jazz... especially when the vocals start. It's kind heavy though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNuxlJNFl3o

As much as i love Mr Bungle, the sound from that show sucks. Look at the keyboard players face at the start of it, he's like "what the ****, where's the sound from this thing?".

On topic, if you are more of a rock player looking to get into jazz, i recommend John Scofield's "A Go Go" album.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by donender
As much as i love Mr Bungle, the sound from that show sucks. Look at the keyboard players face at the start of it, he's like "what the ****, where's the sound from this thing?".

On topic, if you are more of a rock player looking to get into jazz, i recommend John Scofield's "A Go Go" album.

Right I would have posted the album version but the drummer and singer are just so fun to watch on this video.
Quote by Xiaoxi

But I wouldn't recommend him as a starting point. Kurt's music is very advanced and often tonally ambiguous. That makes it very hard to grasp as a beginner.

Sorry, but this is completely wrong. Jazz in the bebop tradition has almost nothing to do with pentatonics or any set scale. Approaching this style by scale is gonna lead you to nowhere. It is all about chord tones, ways of approaching them, and ingraining the language/syntax through listening.

I suppose I should have been more specific; a lot of modern jazz can be navigated through use of pentatonics (not solely, but for a beginning guitarist it is a wonderful starting point) of which the aforementioned guitarists make use of. Obviously it's not a general rule of thumb, and someone interested in jazz in a traditionalist sense should consider a broader approach like you mentioned. To say that I am completely wrong is slightly exaggerated though.
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica (D'addario Flatwound)
Roland Cube 60 watt
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Boss RC-2
Montana Acoustic Guitar(Martin Regular)
Quote by Xiaoxi

You can't learn to comp like that, though.

>inb4 "learn from pianists"

Although I really prefer jazz piano to jazz guitar these days.

Anyway, for a name that hasn't been mentioned yet, Ben Monder. Although his harmonic sense is absolutely batshit crazy.
Listen to Andreas Oberg

Or some jazz fusion

Quote by Hydra150
Use the correct forum, not the pit. The next post will demonstrate why.
Jazz is a broad genre. Check out Wes Montgomery and Mike Stern for two contrasting styles.

I asked a similar question in the blues and jazz forum about 2 years back, in the most active thread there and it still hasn't had a reply.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Mar 16, 2013,
Quote by Butt Rayge
I asked a similar question in the blues and jazz forum about 2 years back, in the most active thread there and it still hasn't had a reply.

I know, it sucks. tbh, if I wanted to know something like TSs question, I'd maybe ask in the MT chat thread, The Pit's chat thread or one of the other big threads in the pit (like maybe the 'Where to start?' thread). I would try not open a thread in the pit, but some of the B&A forums are dead.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Holy Katana
You can't learn to comp like that, though.

>inb4 "learn from pianists"

Although I really prefer jazz piano to jazz guitar these days.

Anyway, for a name that hasn't been mentioned yet, Ben Monder. Although his harmonic sense is absolutely batshit crazy.

Thanks for inadvertently backing me up man! Haha, that's a good point that I completely overlooked.

Also I second Ben Monder! One of my friends met him and she is the one who introduced him to me. The guy has insane talent albeit weird compositional style sometimes haha.

But seriously, learn something from these two guys. Absofockinglutely ridiculous chops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDkjhqt2u7I
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Last edited by BlueAltitudes at Mar 17, 2013,