So, I'm sure most of us had a point where we decided we wanted to record some of the stuff we've written, but also didn't want to throw away a bunch of cash to do so.

I started recording some stuff about 6 months ago, I was used Mixpad to edit, and just plugged a Rock Band mic directly into the computer, moving the mic to get my desired sound.

Well, I want to record more now, but one of my stupid friends broke the mic. I'd be willing to probably spend a little money now, but still, it seems kinda pathetic to buy a Rock Band mic or something similar to record with.

What would you suggest using to record, or what are some cheap methods you have used to record?
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Get a condenser mic around $100 or so to start with. They're the most versatile.

You'll need an audio interface for the A/D conversion, and Focusrite has some pretty decent low end interfaces.

Go to www.sweetwater.com or www.bhphotovideo.com Check the reviews

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I see pretty decent USB-compatible condensor mics on craigslist all the time for $100 or less. I'm still using a $7 desktop mic I bought at Wal-Mart when I first got DSL back in 2001. It actually records pretty decent if you're just trying to hear what was played. Even records my drumset fairly nicely.
"Cheap" is pretty subjective when it comes to recording music. A "cheap" starter set can be anywhere from $100-$1000 depending on how you look at things.

In any case, if you're comfortably with your recording set-up now and just want a mic, you should go with the Shure SM57. They're about $100 and are pretty much the industry standard for a jack-of-all-trades mic.

It's been a while since I've been in the music recording scene, so I'm not sure if something has dethroned the SM57 as one of the best "beginner" mics.
Quote by jumi1174

In any case, if you're comfortably with your recording set-up now and just want a mic, you should go with the Shure SM57. They're about $100 and are pretty much the industry standard for a jack-of-all-trades mic.

It's been a while since I've been in the music recording scene, so I'm not sure if something has dethroned the SM57 as one of the best "beginner" mics.

I don't know why people keep recommending the SM57. It's not a jack-of-all-trades mic in the least.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Price range? What do you want to record? What program(s) are you using? What kind of music?

Also good to see you again.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
Price range? What do you want to record? What program(s) are you using? What kind of music?

Also good to see you again.

I guess anywhere under $75 would be great (I know, a bit unreasonable for what I want). But I'm just trying to record decent quality bass and guitar. I've been kinda looking into a DI setup, but I'm not really sure how that works with a computer and stuff.

And lol, I had no idea so many people here knew I existed.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I don't know why people keep recommending the SM57. It's not a jack-of-all-trades mic in the least.

right but is any mic a jack-of-all-trades? anybody who is ever gonna own more than one microphone probably isn't ever going to regret having one.
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
right but is any mic a jack-of-all-trades? anybody who is ever gonna own more than one microphone probably isn't ever going to regret having one.

Yep, that's what I was trying to get at. For a "professional" mic, there's nothing wrong with starting with a SM57, IMO.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Becuase it's cheap, durable, and it's an effective choice for electric guitars, which is what most people on here want to record.

Quote by Epicbizzjizz
I guess anywhere under $75 would be great (I know, a bit unreasonable for what I want). But I'm just trying to record decent quality bass and guitar. I've been kinda looking into a DI setup, but I'm not really sure how that works with a computer and stuff.

Hmm...bass and guitar DI for $75...let me see what I can think of. Are you using OS X or Windows?

And it's hard to forget someone who pissed off as many people as you did.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 16, 2013,
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
right but is any mic a jack-of-all-trades?

..yes... a large diaphram cardiod condenser would be a much more useful mic starting out as it can easily capture more sources.

The 57 has a very narrow directional path on top of being very low gain, ideal for things like mic'ing a kick drum and other things avoiding bleed. Not that great for guitar/voice/other things out in the open.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
..yes... a large diaphram cardiod condenser would be a much more useful mic starting out as it can easily capture more sources.

The 57 has a very narrow directional path on top of being very low gain, ideal for things like mic'ing a kick drum and other things avoiding bleed. Not that great for guitar/voice/other things out in the open.

This. People mostly recommend the 57 because it's one of the few mics they know. I think it sounds ass.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz

If it's just bass and guitar you want to record, you don't even need a mic. DI recording is incredibly convenient and it sounds competent once you start experimenting and know what you're doing.

All you need is an interface and a regular guitar to amp cable. Plug in your guitar to your interface, interface goes into computer using USB, and you're ready to record.

You can get something like a Line 6 UX1 or UX2, which has inputs for both mics and instruments.
USB audio interface + Peavey ReValver mk iii.v + Nebula 3 = best thing you can get. Alternatively (and also free).. TSE's plugins + whatever free IRs you like.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Oh yeah. If you want to record guitar and bass only on the cheap, go DI. It'll sound a hell of a lot better than a shitty mic in a bad room.
Quote by Xiaoxi

The problem though is condensers are much more expensive, or at least for a good one. Most of the ones in the SM57's pricerange have a horrible EQ that makes everything painfully shrill.

There's also the fact that the typical teen/twentysomething buying one of these isn't the most careful person most of the time. There's a good chance they'll find a way to break a condenser, but you have to really try to break an SM57.

Quote by necrosis1193
The problem though is condensers are much more expensive, or at least for a good one.
Nope. There are some ok condensers starting around $100, which yes, is a little more expensive than the 57, but not that much more.

There's also the fact that the typical teen/twentysomething buying one of these isn't the most careful person most of the time. There's a good chance they'll find a way to break a condenser, but you have to really try to break an SM57.

I don't buy this point at all. It's not like people just break mics left and right...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Nope. There are some ok condensers starting around $100, which yes, is a little more expensive than the 57, but not that much more.

In that case could you give me some recommendations? Because the general consensus I've heard from audio production majors and online is that a good condenser is at least $300, and I was hoping for $120 at most because I lack that much money.

I don't buy this point at all. It's not like people just break mics left and right...

I used to believe that people could be careful with something like a condenser, until I started seeing about three dozen college students with shattered iPhone screens every single day.

If you can't be that careful with a device that holds personal information, contacts, connects you to people you know, lets you check your email, get news, access the internet, and all the other great things smartphones do, on top of being $200-$400, I sure as hell do not trust you with anything less fragile than a dynamic.

I have an Audio Technica condenser mic which normally costs $99. Mine was $129 because it plugs directly into USB. Anyways, couldn't be happier with it. It has gotten good reviews, too.
Quote by The Madcap
I have an Audio Technica condenser mic which normally costs $99. Mine was $129 because it plugs directly into USB. Anyways, couldn't be happier with it. It has gotten good reviews, too.

Holy christ Madcap I haven't seen you in like a year or something

I thought you finally built a time machine and were living in the late sixties How've you been?

Quote by TheChaz
Oh yeah. If you want to record guitar and bass only on the cheap, go DI. It'll sound a hell of a lot better than a shitty mic in a bad room.

This. I was one of those people who bought an SM57 on recommendation for being a "do it all" mic. No matter what I did, my tones sounded like crap on my computer. I now use a Line6 UX1 with PODFarm and get great tones for about the same price as the SM57 and whatever interface I got with it.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by necrosis1193
Holy christ Madcap I haven't seen you in like a year or something

I thought you finally built a time machine and were living in the late sixties How've you been?
Good. I haven't been posting as much because I got a job. I kinda hate the job, too. In fact I've actually kinda grown to miss The Pit. I only post here like once a day.

Although, I have been doing a little project of listening to The Beatles entire discography in mostly chronological order. Just thought you'd appreciate that as you aren't one of the idiots in the Pit that think the Beatles are nothing special.
Quote by The Madcap
Good. I haven't been posting as much because I got a job. I kinda hate the job, too. In fact I've actually kinda grown to miss The Pit. I only post here like once a day.

I know the feeling. It feels like ever since I started college, I've had not even half the time to post as before. Can't imagine how bad it gets with a job on top of school.

Although, I have been doing a little project of listening to The Beatles entire discography in mostly chronological order. Just thought you'd appreciate that as you aren't one of the idiots in the Pit that think the Beatles are nothing special.

Did that last summer when I was recovering from jaw surgery, and basically had to sit around with nothing to do and an inability to talk. I'd recommend adding a little extra time after you finish Abbey Road or Let It Be - whichever one you consider the last one chronologically - and listen to Please Please me after it to really hammer home how much not only The Beatles, but pop music and recording techniques changed during their careers.

Quote by necrosis1193
I know the feeling. It feels like ever since I started college, I've had not even half the time to post as before. Can't imagine how bad it gets with a job on top of school.
Hopefully better, I cut down my hours working there.
Quote by necrosis1193
Did that last summer when I was recovering from jaw surgery, and basically had to sit around with nothing to do and an inability to talk. I'd recommend adding a little extra time after you finish Abbey Road or Let It Be - whichever one you consider the last one chronologically - and listen to Please Please me after it to really hammer home how much not only The Beatles, but pop music and recording techniques changed during their careers.
I'll try that. I really think it's an activity that can really change or affect the perception of any musician.