Just found a new tuning (Orkney Tuning) and made this short song - hoping to get some critiques and opinions. This is one of my first forays at recording a solo acoustic guitar tune, as I'm usually more into rock oriented playing (though I oftentimes play electric fingerstyle as well.) Anyway if you have time I'd really appreciate some feedback. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4IqsSRqn4w
Last edited by rocklikeastone at Mar 16, 2013,
Sounds like you like to play the same sorts of styles as me. This is really cool I really like it. Sounds like the backing track to a fantasy videogame or something. Had a look at your improv video too which was really good man.
Quote by Joss_Frusciante
They have my vote!

Quote by final-andy
And my axe!
Great playing, a little bland at times, but you have a very good technique! Good work, man! By the way, is that a HD28?
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Quote by TekGecko
Sounds like you like to play the same sorts of styles as me. This is really cool I really like it. Sounds like the backing track to a fantasy videogame or something. Had a look at your improv video too which was really good man.

Thank's a lot! the tuning I was using kind of lends itself to more celtic sounding stuff - though now I've moved a bit away from it, with my short attention span and all, and am now trying with mixed results to sound like a twelve string/sitar hybrid thing... been listening to way to much Ravi Shankar/Robbie Basho/James Blackshaw.

Thanks for looking at my improv video as well - I'm glad you thought it was cool even with all the mistakes I made and the general tasteless that my playing can kind of veer into! I made it really quickly to test my cell phone's camera so don't hold me to it! I try to not play as much that way in normal guitar conversation! Thanks again!
Last edited by rocklikeastone at Mar 16, 2013,
Quote by wyldelife
Great playing, a little bland at times, but you have a very good technique! Good work, man! By the way, is that a HD28?

Thanks for the feedback and yeah I definitely hear my playing here being kind of bland. I've never been much of a songwriter and I never really got much into learning other people's song's. I usually just sit there improvise - I'm the same way with the electric...

I will say that this was one of the few times I tried to come up with a "tune" so this piece isn't improvised, but I agree with it being a bit bland, and don't find it to be especially defined either!

The guitar I'm using here is a Martin X series - a 000x1ae to be exact - so not quite a HD28 but I can dream though right? Thanks again for the feedback!
Excellent playing! Definitely does have a celtic vibe to it. I really like your little pulloff melodies on the high E, nice and flavorful. It looks like it would be a fun piece to play!

c4c?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1592573