Hi.
Well, i've been playing electric guitar for about 2 years. I can play quite some "not so easy" stuff, but i've been learning this song for 2 weeks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAcro6v6lc

I can play the entire song without troubles at all, but i want to sing it too. I don't have many problems to sing and play the cleans parts, but OMFG the first breakdown with the screams seems pretty imposible to me.
Any advice?
"Una vez invitados a ejercer el escrutinio crítico, será demasiado tarde para volver a recurrir a la fe ciega."

Gear:
Eleven rack
Ibanez RT
Studio One 2
IK Stealth Pedal
Redwirez Impulses
Try singing it without the guitar first and until you get that right start just slowly playing along. You can use a backing track but only the instrumental version of it. thats what i did anyhooz
To The World I Am A Stranger, To A Stranger I Am A Possible Serial Killer

Quote by Wolfinator-x
You guys are so funny xD xoxo <3

Quote by Doveri
Well a human can't sing an Em since that's a chord

If you mean Eb3/E3, then that is a contralto voice.
Well,it's a generic advice,but it has helped a lot of people,because, if i'm not wrong - no one has systematized a course on how to learn to sing and play at the same time.

So,the advice is:
1. Make sure sure you know all the lyrics by heart.

2. Slow the part down. I mean - make it RIDICULOUSLY slow. And,at this RIDICULOUSLY slow speed - try to sing and play at the same time.

3. Increase speed only when you know you can sing and play at that very slow speed without any mistake,anytime you want. And when you increase the speed - do it just a little,so that you avoid unneeded frustration,and do not leap forward too soon,just to realize you have to go backwards in your progress.

I hope it helps.
Quote by Rocknrolla35
Well,it's a generic advice,but it has helped a lot of people,because, if i'm not wrong - no one has systematized a course on how to learn to sing and play at the same time.

So,the advice is:
1. Make sure sure you know all the lyrics by heart.

2. Slow the part down. I mean - make it RIDICULOUSLY slow. And,at this RIDICULOUSLY slow speed - try to sing and play at the same time.

3. Increase speed only when you know you can sing and play at that very slow speed without any mistake,anytime you want. And when you increase the speed - do it just a little,so that you avoid unneeded frustration,and do not leap forward too soon,just to realize you have to go backwards in your progress.

I hope it helps.

Damm! sometimes i hate the learning curve. I've tried that, but (to me) it's harder to play it slow
"Una vez invitados a ejercer el escrutinio crítico, será demasiado tarde para volver a recurrir a la fe ciega."

Gear:
Eleven rack
Ibanez RT
Studio One 2
IK Stealth Pedal
Redwirez Impulses
Generally when people are learning to play and sing at the same time, they start easy and build up. So, out of the context of that song, take an easy chord based tune, and strum each chord once, then sing the lyric, strum the next chord and so on. Then build up to strumming each chord on the downbeat, then try more interesting rhythms.
Quote by bondmorkret
Generally when people are learning to play and sing at the same time, they start easy and build up. So, out of the context of that song, take an easy chord based tune, and strum each chord once, then sing the lyric, strum the next chord and so on. Then build up to strumming each chord on the downbeat, then try more interesting rhythms.

Well... I guess you're right, i guess i will go back to Nirvana and stuff like .
It seems like yesterday when i started playing, and i was freak out because i could play Smells Like A Teen Spirit

Gear:
Eleven rack
Ibanez RT
Studio One 2
IK Stealth Pedal
Redwirez Impulses
just slow it down and practice it like everything else.

make sure you have both parts (individually) at a point where it's second-nature to perform them well and almost mindlessly. this will make the process much simpler

i started out singing/playing with thrash. no reason you need to compromise as long as you go after it with absolute vigor
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Make sure you can *really* play the parts in time and perfectly. Then after that its just practice.

I highly recommend you learning to play and sing other easier songs at the same time instead of spending all your time learning one song. After practicing a song for a few hours the effects of practice seem marginal and learning easier songs will help build up your abilities for this song.
Quote by skilly1
Wtf, is that even music

Yep, it's Metalcore with some Thrash and Death Metal Elements (It makes sense, because Trivium means "The three paths" in Latin)

Make sure you can *really* play the parts in time and perfectly. Then after that its just practice.

I highly recommend you learning to play and sing other easier songs at the same time instead of spending all your time learning one song. After practicing a song for a few hours the effects of practice seem marginal and learning easier songs will help build up your abilities for this song.

I'd dare to say that i can play it, is not that hard, but it's a hell of fun to play; i've always practiced the songs with a metronome. If i remember correctly, the tempo of this song is 115 and then it goes doble speed, but that's for the album version; i would say that the live version is 120-124 and then it goes doble time , i may be wrong, though.
Yeah, i'm trying to find other songs that are not so hard to play so i can sing and play, and not have a headache. I'm not kidding here, i had a headache after several tries to play and sing the song... WTF!

Gear:
Eleven rack
Ibanez RT
Studio One 2
IK Stealth Pedal
Redwirez Impulses
Last edited by guitarwarrior96 at Mar 16, 2013,
^^^ However you said that you have issues playing this song at slower speeds. Unfortunately if you cannot play a song slow, you cannot play it fast. Its more likely that when played fast the mistakes are less noticable.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
You don't need to copy all the vocal parts note for note. You could always change it and make it sound better. Be creative.
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ However you said that you have issues playing this song at slower speeds. Unfortunately if you cannot play a song slow, you cannot play it fast. Its more likely that when played fast the mistakes are less noticable.

I think i wasn't clear enough ; i can play the song slow, full speed, etc. I mean it's harder to me, try sing and play the song at slower speed, my brain becomes a lot more messy singing at slow tempos

Gear:
Eleven rack
Ibanez RT
Studio One 2
IK Stealth Pedal
Redwirez Impulses