Hello.

So i have this question for lot of time ago. I just don't know the difference of them, if it's that there is a difference.
Quote by fullstop
Hello.

So i have this question for lot of time ago. I just don't know the difference of them, if it's that there is a difference.
An "acoustic guitar" is a guitar that has a sound chamber, "a hollow body", and is basically designed to produce enough sound output without an amplifier. The woods used in the construction are thin in order to allow them to "resonate", or vibrate in sympathy with the strings.They can have either steel strings, or nylon, (once upon a time cat gut) strings.

A "classical guitar", is always nylon strung. (Or as above, in the old days cat gut).

There are a number of design differences between steel sting acoustics and classical guitars, but they are both considered, "acoustic guitars".

"Spanish Guitar", traditionally has referred to the TUNING, "E Standard", (E,A, D, G, B, e).

In fact, again once upon a time, string packages were labeled as being "Spanish guitar".

The terminology is a bit fuzzy and overlapping, and oftentimes nylon strung guitars are also called "Spanish guitars". The difference here is, "classical guitar" also refers to a STYLE of play, but nylon strung guitars are used in Spanish "Flamenco" style as well. The instruments for the two styles are similar, but not necessarily identical.

That leaves you with the possibility of playing "classical guitar", as a "style" of guitar, on a steel strung instrument. But the steel string guitar itself, would NEVER be referred to as a "classical guitar".

Did that help, or make it worse?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 16, 2013,