|-7-|
|-4-|
|-5-|
|-5-|
|---|

would be really nice if someone could tell me which chord this is
GMaj7/D
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
You can name it by yourself by first naming the chord tones (D, G, B and F#). Then try to organize them so that there's a third between each note. Sometimes you can't do that so at least try to build a triad with those chord tones. But in this case you can organize them so that there's a third between each note.

So what we get is G B D F#.

How to name it? Look at the intervals between the root and other chord tones. There's a major third between G and B and a perfect fifth between G and D. So it's a G major chord. And the interval between G and F# is major 7th. So it's a G major chord with a major 7th so you just add maj7 in the end -> Gmaj7. If the 7th was a minor 7th (there would be F instead of F#), it would be called G7.

Then you look at the bass note which is D. So the chord name is Gmaj7/D.

Sometimes it's not this simple to name the chord and it might depend on the context how you should name it. But the main thing is to try to build a triad with the chord tones and look at the intervals between them.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Tiimmo19
|---|
|-7-|
|-4-|
|-5-|
|-5-|
|---|

would be really nice if someone could tell me which chord this is

Your notes are:

D G B F#

I'd go with Gmaj7, with D as a bass, especially because the Maj7 is in the highest voice. and, all the notes in a G Maj7 are present : G B D F#

If it were some sort of D, it would be D maj with no 5 or 7 and an added 11/4 and 13/6. Since that 11 isn't common or desirable in D Major, because of the min 2 dissonance, I'd have to say this is Gmaj7/D. It depends upon the tonal intent with the bass note.

Best,

Sean
Gmaj7 seems good, also could be D6 add11.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by Tiimmo19
Thanks for the help! I do understand it now and can explore the theory further

What are you going to explore about it and what do you understand about the chord?
I would say that it is just a Gmaj7 because in the G major, the B, D and F# are the Major 3rd, Perfect 5th and Major 7th respectively, so just think of it as an inversion.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
So the chord name is Gmaj7/D.

This.

Also...This should be in the NAME THAT CHORD thread.
Si