Page 1 of 2
I had a baseman and a epiphone sg I tried many distortion and overdrive combinations but any time I got anything half way decent I got loud white noise (from the pickups I think.)

After trying noise reducers I was done I decided to start from scratch distortion wise.

99 dollars and a trip to guitar center later the MXR fullbore metal distortion saved my tone.

I now only need that and can get tones from 80s hair metal to nu metal all in one pedal. That parred with my baseman and a danecho by Dan electro is an amazing sound.

Best 99 bucks ever spent.
Last edited by TDWP33 at Mar 16, 2013,
I would gone with a turbo rat but that's just me, I have heard/seen good things about the danelectro delay echo.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.

Tamed my Blue Voodoo's high end beautifully.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
(Invalid img)
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
Last edited by GuitarUser at Mar 16, 2013,
I was once walking down the street when some punk pulled out his gun and fired at me, suddenly out of nowhere this big muff jumped in front and totally caught the bullet for me.
<3
Quote by ComradSputnik
I was once walking down the street when some punk pulled out his gun and fired at me, suddenly out of nowhere this big muff jumped in front and totally caught the bullet for me.
<3

that never happened.
mojostompboxes.com
Fulltone makes my two favorite pedals, the Ultimate Octave and Fulldrive Mosfet 2. I use them literally almost every time I turn on my amp.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by TDWP33
I had a baseman and a epiphone sg I tried many distortion and overdrive combinations but any time I got anything half way decent I got loud white noise (from the pickups I think.)

After trying noise reducers I was done I decided to start from scratch distortion wise.

99 dollars and a trip to guitar center later the MXR fullbore metal distortion saved my tone.

I now only need that and can get tones from 80s hair metal to nu metal all in one pedal. That parred with my baseman and a danecho by Dan electro is an amazing sound.

Best 99 bucks ever

Please tell me you don't mean Bassman and your amp is some obscure thing called a baseman and dear jebus don't tell me it's a vintage one.
joyo ultimate drive i bought one on a whim cause it was like 30 bucks on ebay and thought why not at the worst part i have a cool enclosure to put something decent in it if it sucks

but with the gain around 9oclock the volume round 11 and tone around noonish and the high/low switch on the low setting i get a really nice warm distorted sound that has been the main part of my lead tone for the last couple of years even when i had to borrow an amp its really the only consistent part of my pedal chain
Quote by greeny23
that never happened.

Nah dude, I totally heard about that on the news.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ComradSputnik
<3

Wow. I always thought muffs were pussies.

Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 16, 2013,
The ISP Decimator G String.

I was in the middle of recording with my band, and I needed a noise gate before I went in to record or else the recording was gonna be a hot mess. So luckily I had enough Cash to buy it and it saved the recording process.

One of the best Noise Gates, if not THE best, especially for High Gain.
My Main Gear/Rig!
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Jackson KVX10 King V (w/ JB/59 Humbucker Combo)
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer 30th Anniversay
ISP Decimator G String Model
Quote by TDWP33
Wow I'm stupid I ment bassman, its a 59 reissue

Now another question, why did you get a bassman for hair/nu-metal? Was it because you play rock outside of your bands or something? I'm all for going with gear you like regardless of it's "accepted" genre relation but why a bassman?
MxR Dynacomp.

I was pretty scared at the use of a compressor because i thought that i was gonna loose all my dynamic.

Good i was wrong, shit's rounded my tone perfectlyyyy.
Fender Telecaster Texas Special MIA
Sunn Sceptre 1971 A1
Marshall JCM800 Cab 1980
Got bassman from my dad and its nice cause I do play also rockabilly, classic rock blues and pretty much all genres of rock, but now I'm in a metalcore band. I was thinking I would have to get like a hole new amp but now I can get searing metal tones and almost anything else, and because its probably like the 1st baseman SG combination ever used in metalcore/thrash/nu metal ect. It has a unique deepness to it. Thank you MXR
And I would even recommend it to compete with a marshal and other similar amps.
Quote by TDWP33
Got bassman from my dad and its nice cause I do play also rockabilly, classic rock blues and pretty much all genres of rock, but now I'm in a metalcore band. I was thinking I would have to get like a hole new amp but now I can get searing metal tones and almost anything else, and because its probably like the 1st baseman SG combination ever used in metalcore/thrash/nu metal ect. It has a unique deepness to it. Thank you MXR

You're at it again. Or did the topic change to baseball?
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Quote by innertom
best pedal you can get is a tuner

I've never understood why you'd spend $100 on a tuner pedal, outside of that one that can tune all six strings at once. Does it really do the job that much better than a normal tuner?

On-topic, probably my Tubescreamer. It's a TS9DX, but I never switch it out of TS9 mode, I just bought it instead because it was $90 used, so it was cheaper.

Easily the best bang for buck out of any gear I've ever bought. It's been five or six years and a ton of different would-be usurpers, some I just tried and some I actually bought, and it's still what I'm using for distortion 75% of the time. My RAT's encroaching on its territory because I want a bigger, higher-gain sound more often nowadays, but the Tubescreamer's still essential for me. I love that little green box.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
What you really needed was a JCM800 or a SLO.

Yes, I said it - what you need is a new amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by necrosis1193
I've never understood why you'd spend $100 on a tuner pedal, outside of that one that can tune all six strings at once. Does it really do the job that much better than a normal tuner?

This is my question for years. Although, I've never been on a stage with my guitar so I don't know what applications a tuner pedal has in a live show. Any playing I do is either at home in my makeshift studio or in a half-decent studio on the other side of town, so my phone always did the trick, but the studio I go to has this rack mount tuner that's awesome as well.

I just don't get what makes a tuner pedal so essential if there's so many alternatives.

...anywho...

Probably my Boss DD-3. I have a very "entry level" guitar in my Ibanez GSA-60 but my goodness does it sound professional running through my DD-3, BD-2 and Peavey studio pro 112.
I use a Korg full rack tuner.

Get off my ****ing lawn!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by necrosis1193

So you're going to unlpug, plug in a little dinky hand tuner, and sit or stand and try to hold it and tune at the same time on stage?

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
EHX Micro POG. The only pedal that has never left my chain no matter how the rest of my rig has changed. It's a unique effect and the Micro POG does it better than any other.

Rocktron Banshee talkbox has proven very important, too. Again, it's the sort of thing that you can't just dial in with a multi-effect or whatever. There's this and the Dunlop one and this is far more convenient. Not something I use all the time but it's something that's aded a lot of chaacter to how I play and helped me stand out (because god knows I'm creatively barren and anything more complicated than chugging powerchords is beyond me).

Really, I couldn't do without either of those.

That said, having a HD147 with the FBV Shortboard is the real life-saver. Digital rigs suck when you're having to make-do with just one or two presets; analogue rigs suck when you're having to do a crazy tap dance to go from an effect-laden clean tone to a plain distorted tone. Being able to flick between any one of god-knows-how-many presets in an instant and have a volume, wah, noise gate, compressor, additional effect loop and tuner all built in to one unit is a god-send. Sure, its value is diminished if you're talking about a studio setting where you have all the time to dial in each sound and record a single section at a time, but live when you have to radically change sound in <1 beat, this is vital.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Mar 17, 2013,

Makes my tone sound passable to my ears.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
the Car Attenuator Pedal

Last edited by VeilSide at Mar 17, 2013,
Quote by necrosis1193

Speed & accuracy.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Good Ol' Ramos
This is my question for years. Although, I've never been on a stage with my guitar so I don't know what applications a tuner pedal has in a live show.

You've hit the nail on the head there. If you need to tune up between songs you use a tuner pedal to do it quickly and silently. There's nothing I hate more than bands unplugging their guitars, plugging them into a little hand-held tuner or even worse tuning audibly with a headstock tuner, and messing around for ages between songs when they could have done the whole thing in about 3 seconds by investing in a TU-3. Also it's quite handy if you're changing guitars to stop the horrible bangs and pops when you take your lead out and plug it back in...

Anyway, rant over, here are the pedals that have saved me.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by Tombe
...There's nothing I hate more than bands unplugging their guitars, plugging them into a little hand-held tuner...

Totally agree that would be so lame!
Quote by Tombe
...or even worse tuning audibly with a headstock tuner, and messing around for ages between songs when they could have done the whole thing in about 3 seconds by investing in a TU-3...

Headstock tuner cons:
- Aesthetics; especially if mounted on the front instead of the back of the heastock
- Battery can die unpredictably

Headstock tuner pros:
- You can get one just as fast and almost as accurate as a TU-3 for under $15 on Amazon.com (or $30 in a guitar store)
- Less crap in your rig
- You can focus your gaze in the same place where your hand will be doing the work (potentially faster for some people)
- You can still go silent:
-- A pickup selector on the guitar (if you have 2 or more volume controls)
-- Volume control on guitar
-- Volume pedal (most MFX pedals w/expression pedals have this, but if it's assigned to another function you can always engage the MFX tuner--and use the headstock tuner since it's more accurate)
-- You can make a kill pedal for under $15 if you have to do it with a footswitch
-- If your amp has a remote, many can be set up so one of the buttons works as a "kill"

Quote by Tombe
...Also it's quite handy if you're changing guitars to stop the horrible bangs and pops when you take your lead out and plug it back in...

See last 3 sub-bullets above.

Actually, I'm more annoyed by how often some bands have to tune period. If they used a different stringing method and/or stretched their strings fully they wouldn't need to do it so much (if at all). With a good string job, a simple flick of the trem should get the guitar back in perfect tune every time, and if it has a Floyd, it shouldn't even need that. A hardtail with a bad nut is a different story...
Quote by shiggityswah

Quote by Offworld92
So you're going to unlpug, plug in a little dinky hand tuner, and sit or stand and try to hold it and tune at the same time on stage?

I have never and probably will never play on stage but if I ever do this is something I could see myself doing...
Quote by zilant
I have never and probably will never play on stage but if I ever do this is something I could see myself doing...

I started to play with a drummer and it is annoying as hell to tune.... Unplug and then plug back in.

I just bought a TC Polyune- 69.99 with free shipping from SweetWater. I got a $100 gift card from a friend for helping them out. No brainier.

Had I not started to jam with someone else I would not have bought one.
EP Booster.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Rack tuners are the go. You can see them from the other side of the stage. I've been using one now for a bloody long time and find it hard to go back to little things. Rack shit is good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Rack tuners are the go. You can see them from the other side of the stage. I've been using one now for a bloody long time and find it hard to go back to little things. Rack shit is good.

you cant step on a rack.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
you cant step on a rack.
Another point in their favour.

But in all seriousness - that's what MIDI controllers are for. I have my rack tuner permanently in line and just hit the mute button on my controller (unless I'm tuning a string mid-song).

Just to clarify, the mute happens after the tuner.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification