I couldn't find any threads or videos on this comparison. What are the differences? I was really thinking about getting a Gretsch. But I recently just saw the PRS Se Custom 24 guitars which have the option of coil tapping.
You don't want to find threads or videos. You want to play both & decide which you prefer. You're talking about comparing two very different guitars, only you can decide what your opinion will be.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
You don't want to find threads or videos. You want to play both & decide which you prefer. You're talking about comparing two very different guitars, only you can decide what your opinion will be.

you jedi mind tricks won't work on me

TS You want to understand that mini humbuckers are not single coils and P90s are not humbuckers
Seriously, take your amp into the store and run both guitars through it to decide which you like best. That's the only way to decide since tone is so subjective.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by barden1069
Seriously, take your amp into the store and run both guitars through it to decide which you like best. That's the only way to decide since tone is so subjective.

Surely it'd make more sense to go to the store and see if the amp you have is in stock there and then ask to play through it? Seems like a hassle taking an amp to a shop just to try a guitar.

TS, I haven't played minihumbuckers but I have a Washburn X50 Pro which has coil-tap. I find it can achieve single coil-esque tones (still not exactly the same as having single-coil pickups). It doesn't really have the dynamics that you'd find in a guitar with single-coil pickups but the the sound itself isn't really too far from it.
GuitarCenter is like an hour away from my house and i really dont know any music store lets me play their stuff. Obviously tone is subjective but if I didnt care about your opinions i wouldnt be asking
Quote by AdamDK
Surely it'd make more sense to go to the store and see if the amp you have is in stock there and then ask to play through it? Seems like a hassle taking an amp to a shop just to try a guitar.

TS, I haven't played minihumbuckers but I have a Washburn X50 Pro which has coil-tap. I find it can achieve single coil-esque tones (still not exactly the same as having single-coil pickups). It doesn't really have the dynamics that you'd find in a guitar with single-coil pickups but the the sound itself isn't really too far from it.

You're right. I am always kinda worried about different tubes, speakers, and wear and tear when I'm making a serious decision in terms of guitar though, so I prefer to have my own amp there so I can get the best idea of what is the guitar and what is the amp. Of course, there is a lot to be said about not having to haul your amp into GC
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
minihumbuckers just sound like slightly brighter humbuckers. they don't sound anything like coil splits (which sound more like single coils).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A coil tap is something you do to single coil pickups. THe pickup has to be made in a specific way for it to be 'tapped'. Tapping removes some of the wire from the coil, giving you a brighter tone with less output.

A coil split means sending half of a humbucker to ground, effectively turning a two-coil pickup into a single-coil pickup. Bear in mind that because of the difference in magnets a split humbucker will not sound like a typical single coil; it sounds more like a cheap P-90 than a Strat or Tele pickup.

Mini humbuckers/minibuckers are a type of pickup, as diffrent as single coils, humbuckers, Jazzmaster pickups, Filtertrons, lipsticks, Wide Range and P-90s.
There are three pickups commonly called 'minibuckers'; only one of them is actually a minibucker, however.

A true minibucker is constructed in exactly the same way as a full-size humbucker, it is just smaller. Smaller coils, smaller magnet. The tone is almost the same as a normal humbucker but because it covers a smaller length of the strings it will give a slightly brighter tone.

Firebird pickups are often confused with minibuckers because they are the same size and use similar covers. Firebird pickups, however, use two magnets, placed very close to the top of the pickup. This gives them a much, much brighter tone, very similar to the bright attack of a Fender-style single coil pickup.

You can also get humbuckers that are made to fit in the place of a normal Stratocaster or Telecaster single coil pickup. Some peopel wrongly call these minibuckers, too. These are not too dissimilar to a minibucker, but they are a different size (to fit a single coil space) and they have a tone like a normal humbucker, not the slightly-bright minibucker.

Wiring a coil tap (note, single coil pickups):
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=tele_2_taps

Wiring a coil split (note, humbucker pickups):
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=coil_splitting

True minibucker:

Firebird pickup:

Single coil-size humbuckers:

Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.