Had a friend of mine saying that they're too expensive and not worth it. However, I see plenty of houses with them, even in Scotland. So what's the deal? I've tried googling this, but information is very mixed and I'm not sure if I trust it.

Anyone have them at home?
Quote by Todd Hart
Coal works better.

Plus coal gives homeless children jobs so that they can eat.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
There's some lights in my backyard that run on solar power. That's about all I know.
My hot water runs on solar panels.
So when you have the opportunity...

Don't.
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

my parents have them because a few years ago the gouvernement here in belgium gave money to those who installed them which made it much cheaper(duh). normally they last 15years and without gouvernement support they earn themselves back within 10 years. they only need light so on a cloudy day they still are making electicityat almost the same rate as a sunny day in e.g. spain.
"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."
According to my phys chem teacher, geothermal is the best alternative energy source
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
well it depends on many factors:
-location: this is important to know the amout of solar irradiation you get at average in your area and how consistent is it throughout the year.
-quality of panels: this plays a big role in the effiency of the system, in other words how much of the solar energy acquired is used in the heating.
-cost: this is dependant on the country you live in, maybe the govermont helps out for environental concerns, and maybe there's a lot of competition and thus competitive prices.

source: I am a freshly graduate mechanical engineer yes I mentioned this so all of you start congratulating me

edit: you do mean water heating solar panels right?
Last edited by Metalloy at Mar 16, 2013,
They're completely retarded at the moment in terms of cost to output. Wait a few years.
They take a while to pay off (as in, years, but most energy saving buildings projects do) but it's not just about saving money, it's about alternative energy. And of course there's the improvements to the value of your property, and the simple fact of being more self-sufficient.

EDIT But aye of course the technology will get cheaper with time. But then the sooner you install them, the sooner you start saving.
First off, solar as in photovoltaic or solar as in heating? Heating is fairly straightforward, PV is a bit more complicated. There are optimal sunlight quotas, optimal placement (down to the angle), they require special transformers and are a sizeable investment, but they pay off in a few years. Especially if you send it back into the grid: instead of just reducing your power consumption, set the panels as an individual generator. Most grids value green wats at least a few times over normal, so you'll get your investment back sooner.
If you invest the money, then yes. Solar and alternative energies can easily power a home, it's more the cost that prevents people from doing it, you will make your money back over time, but today's society is about quick results, something that will cost us dearly in the next 50 years imo... location is also a factor.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Had a friend of mine saying that they're too expensive and not worth it. However, I see plenty of houses with them, even in Scotland. So what's the deal? I've tried googling this, but information is very mixed and I'm not sure if I trust it.

Anyone have them at home?

These are expensive but if in your location there is ample sunshine these panels are worth.. I have got solar panels for fulfilling my home electricity needs..
Quote by FrederickMalo
These are expensive but if in your location there is ample sunshine these panels are worth.. I have got solar panels for fulfilling my home electricity needs..

Oct 2013

It's ok, we were all there once.

EDIT: You also posted at 11:11. Are you a God?
Last edited by Baby Joel at Oct 23, 2013,
You live in Glasgow.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by theogonia777
Plus coal gives homeless children jobs so that they can eat.

Those children can build solar panels instead.

Much safer.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.