Hey guys, I'm fighting my long time tendency to improvise solos and just go with whatever take sounds best. In short, 90% of the time it sounds like wanky garbage. I want to be able to write solos that really enhance the song and are well put together. The solo that I'm linking is the ending to a song I'm working on that will be the final song on an EP that I hope to complete soon. The concept of the song is in the name - it's supposed to be a protagonist getting out of hell. The album concept is loosely based on Diablo III, God of War, etc. Hades, fire, kicking ass, etc. I want this solo to sound like a victorious hero that just killed the devil himself. Yes I know, weird concept, but whatever inspires you I suppose!

Anyways here's the track:

https://soundcloud.com/the-left-turns/sets/solo

Please bear in mind that the mixing and production is rather rough right now. I literally just finished the main structure of the song so rhythm parts my be out of sync or tune. It's not going to bleed your ears but for anyone expecting a masterpiece of home production, you won't find it in this current state

Thanks for listening!
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Last edited by boratian at Mar 16, 2013,
Im a musician but i hardly play metal at all, and i really enjoyed it man. The guitar work in the last ~30 or so seconds is extremely badass. Good structure
Quote by fortytew
Im a musician but i hardly play metal at all, and i really enjoyed it man. The guitar work in the last ~30 or so seconds is extremely badass. Good structure

Thanks for the comment!
I agree completely about the last of the 3 solos, that was the one that I had awesome licks for, some of the best I've been able to come up with so far. I'm most likely going to change up the first one a bit as I'm still not wowed by it
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Don't have time to go into detail right now, but will just quickly say that the solo can be much better, not necessarily more complex, than what it is right now, to my ear at least.
Really enjoyed it However my ears didn't enjoy the first couple of licks generally when i write a big outro solo i focus on making the start & ending licks to be the most stand out points since thats generally what people find more memorable so i would focus on how the solo starts & also giving it some themes or motifs(if that makes any sense :S) that you can reintroduce when it ends.