I'm in a jazz class where we learn how to improvise over chords. I listen to much more classical music than jazz and don't know where to start in finding a jazz guitar solo to transcribe by ear. I just need to transcribe 8 measures and then play it for my class. As long as its jazz, includes a guitar solo, and is reasonable to transcribe by ear, please give me your suggestion. Thanks!
Does it have to have been performed on guitar in the recording? 'cause Louis Armstrong has a ton of very simple but elegant solos, and they are jazzy as fuck.

If you don't use a pick much, try doing a Wes Montgomery solo - he played entirely with his thumb.

If your ears are real good, work out a Pat Metheny solo.

Grant Green is a solid, simple player. He also uses very little legato, which is unusual for the style.
Last edited by cdgraves at Mar 16, 2013,
Ernest Ranglin might not be considered as jazz but his solos are jazz influenced and are funky/sexy as shit.

Doesn't ever get too out there. Its just feel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuyrY--vs3U
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Last edited by King Of Suede at Mar 17, 2013,
Does it have to be guitar? I find it fun and easy to transcribe Chet Baker songs, the vocal and trumpet melody and the underlying chords
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness