1985 MIJ Contemporary Stratocaster. She's pretty rad. Sorry for the horrid lighting.

From Wikipedia:

• “D” profile neck with a 12" radius.
  • "BiFlex" truss rod adjustment at the top of the neck.
  • Microtilt neck angle fine adjustment.
  • 22 medium jumbo frets.
  • Fender Roto-matic tuners, and 4 bolt neck plate.
  • String locking.
  • Fender Schaller System I..
  • 25.5" scale length
  • Some models feature black coloured necks and/or black coloured headstocks.

Picked it up off craigslist for $400. That's a steal considering most of these are hitting the $700 area regularly on eBay. No complaints on the price from me! Always cool to have a Strat with the serial number stamped on the neck plate (A003390).

She's got some battle scars. Most noticeably a large scratch on the back of the neck and lots of chips in the body. They're really not bad for a 28 year old guitar, though. Most of the stuff I'm sure I'll be able to polish out. I've done some light restore stuff before.

The neck is definitely a bit chunkier than I'm used to on a Strat, but after getting used to it I found that I really liked it. My first two real Strats were 90's MIA ones, so I'm pretty comfortable on the 12" radius. I just had to readjust myself from the 9.5 C shape I'm so used to a little bit. The rosewood doesn't look like the most premium cut of wood, but it's pretty buttery in terms of smoothness. She slides wonderfully. Also, the two previous owners barely played it. The guy I got it from wasn't a Strat guy, and the guy he got it from wasn't even a guitar player! The frets are basically brand new on this thing.

The pickups sound horrible, but that's to be expected from Fender Japan. I've got plans to completely gut this thing and start over with the electrical bits from scratch. She'll be a cool little project. Also,I'm thinking of throwing on a Gold pickguard instead of the black. That'll make it look a bit less "Pantera Fan"-ish. (The guy who sold it to me even left the camouflage strap on )

The Schaller Trem is pretty darn solid. The tuning is VERY good, but not as good as it could be, so some locking tuners will be in the future for this hot-rod.

I'll polish her up, swap the guts, tuners, and pickguard. You guys should see the results in the Stratocaster thread in the coming months
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
HNGD!

As for your pictures...for some reason, the lighting, colors and so forth make it look like a scale model in the first couple of pictures.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Nice looking guitar! HNGD!
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
HNGD, way to go!

How 'bout a closeup of that trem?
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
HNGD, gotta love those old MIJ strats!

Great deal you found there too
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Awesome!

I love those MIJ Fenders. So much cool shit that you would NEVER be able to find here in the US. Kinda makes me sad sometimes

Rock on dude!
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
That's hot. I'm always jonesing for more MIJ guitars, they seem like a good deal. I'm not a big fan of the Schaller, I assume it's some kind of floating trem? Not into that, but it's cool anyway.
Love that finish. Not to sour you on it or anything, but I saw Avril Lavigne using a Tele in that colour before, totally fell in love with it. I love the 'glam industrial' vibe.

HNGD.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thanks dudes.

After a lot more playing I still really, really dig the rosewood on this board and the Medium Jumbo frets. As I said, from an aesthetic standpoint it doesn't look like the best cut of rosewood, but my-oh-my is the thing silky smooth. Bends and slides are simply butter on this thing.

I'm thinking of replacing the pots with some better 250K's. I use them a lot, so I want to find somewhere that sells quality taper pots. For pickups, I'll probably drop in a set of Fender 57/62's, since I plan to mod this beast into my workhorse axe.

Also, I want to change the pup covers and knobs to white or vintage white. I think it'll pop better. I'm going to do some kisakae work to see if a Gold pickguard would look good.

Quote by jetwash69
HNGD, way to go!

How 'bout a closeup of that trem?

I'll get you some when I take more photos in a day or two when the sun is out.

Quote by stonyman65
Awesome!

I love those MIJ Fenders. So much cool shit that you would NEVER be able to find here in the US. Kinda makes me sad sometimes

Rock on dude!

I'm definitely a fan of Fender Japan. Any of the regulars here will tell you. I know Ippon shares my views, too. If you need info, jump into the Stratocaster thread. There are a few of us MIJ junkies around in there. A handful own some CIJ Jaguars and I might know of a crusty old man with a Tokai BreezySound if you're into some quality copies.

Quote by samuraigoomba
That's hot. I'm always jonesing for more MIJ guitars, they seem like a good deal. I'm not a big fan of the Schaller, I assume it's some kind of floating trem? Not into that, but it's cool anyway.

They can, but I've set mine up to sit flush with the body, so the Trem only works in one direction. Works well enough for my surf applications.
Last edited by JustRooster at Mar 17, 2013,
I think it looks pretty awesome as it is.

You don't see enough painted headstock on Strats.

HNGD!
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by JustRooster
I'm thinking of replacing the pots with some better 250K's. I use them a lot, so I want to find somewhere that sells quality taper pots. For pickups, I'll probably drop in a set of Fender 57/62's, since I plan to mod this beast into my workhorse axe.

You're probably aware of both these sources, but if not, or if this sparks interest in other UGers, then this might be helpful to someone:

I'm not sure if these are taper pots or not, but allegedly these are the same ones they put in the EVH Wolfgang guitars: http://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/GG/EVHPOT. They're available in regular or low-friction versions. Supposedly he needed rugged pots because he was wearing them out playing Cathedral, etc. on tour, so these were the solution. Or maybe that's all just marketing.

http://www.darrenriley.com/fenderparts.htm has a nearly comprehensive selection of hard-to-find OEM Fender parts. If there's a Fender model with the pots you want, then they probably carry it. That's where I bought my 500K S-1 switch, another 500K volume pot with matching taper, and a concentric 500K pot for tone. They also have pup covers and more knobs than I've seen anywhere else. I don't know that they'd have the guard you want, though. Might have to go aftermarket for that. Happy hunting.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 17, 2013,
I don't normally like the look of strats...

But when I do, it's this one.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
You dick.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
So, is this a "Super-Strat" guys? I don't want LP1951 to exclude me from the club

Still waiting on JesusCrisp to find this. I'm interested in his thoughts.
I don't want to speak for LP.

Nice ax, Rooster! But does it play Ratt?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.