So I was at a gig and the sound guy was like "dude, your amp sucks for giggin cause you can't DI it".

I laughed at him because my main rig is an AC30C2, but he wasn't going to change his statement. So he then mic'd it up.

So is it not possible to DI tube amps or something cause I don't understand the whole procedure. All I do know is that the sound guy is a douche.

Cheers
Some tube amps will have a direct out or preamp out but they still need to be connected to a speaker anyway or you might damage the amp, so you may as well just mic it. It will sound better miced anyway.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
I own a Rivera that has that capability. Not all amps can do it - and just because they can't doesn't mean they suck. My Mesa Boogies can't do it and they definitely don't suck. Grabbing the signal from the direct output of the amp doesn't sound all that bad, but when I do it, I usually mic the front, then mix both signals.
Relatively few guitar amplifiers have built in DI, but it doesn't matter if it's tube or not.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Miking is always the best option unless you're using something like an Axe-FX or a Kemper. The sound guy is full of crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Tremolo Bum
Some tube amps will have a direct out or preamp out but they still need to be connected to a speaker anyway or you might damage the amp, so you may as well just mic it. It will sound better miced anyway.

But other tube amps with a direct out don't still need to be connected to a speaker, as long as you leave it on Standby. Those may sound a little better mic'ed if you have a good cab. However, if the emulated speaker circuitry is good, it might send better direct than it would mic'ed if they don't mic it well, or if you have a crappy cab.

But you still might want to run it through a cab so you can hear it better on stage, or use it to get feedback (if you need that). But you might be able to do the same through wedge monitors.

@TS:

Of course your amp doesn't suck for gigging from your perspective.

But from the perspective of a lazy sound guy who'd rather not bother with micing a cab, it would suck. He'd still be wise to keep his big mouth shut about it, though, because he's just going to establish a reputation for himself as someone who doesn't care about helping the bands sound their best. Plus he was being a douche.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 17, 2013,
He's just lazy.

Direct outs usually sound like crap compared to micing the real live sound.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ Depends on the amp, its speakers, the mic used and the PA system. I've been in, worked at and seen plenty of gigs where a miked amp would have been better off running directly and/or direct amps would have been better off miked.

An AC30? Mic it. JCM800 with V30 full stack? Mic it. ENGL Powerball with a T75 2x12"? Direct. Spider Valve with anything? Direct. Dual Rectifier with Mesa's own 4x12"? Flip a coin. Huge stage? Mic everything. Cramped stage? Go direct.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Mar 17, 2013,
Sound guy sucks.

Get a Radial JDX. It's a DI that comes after the poweramp, has a cabinet simulator, but also takes into account the negative feedback and supposedly affects the cabinet simulation.

That or get a sennheiser 409 or 609. I run direct rigs, and real amp rigs depending on how I feel. When I take the Mark IV, I have either one of these. Stick the JDX in the amp, or hand the sennheiser over the speaker, done.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
...Get a Radial JDX. It's a DI that comes after the poweramp, has a cabinet simulator, but also takes into account the negative feedback and supposedly affects the cabinet simulation...
...Stick the JDX in the amp, or hand the sennheiser over the speaker, done.

I was thinking about something like that, too. Even if the VOX doesn't have a plug for the internal speaker, it wouldn't be to difficult to mod it if you're going to be sticking the DI in there anyway.

It would be funny to see the look on the sound guy's face. He probably wouldn't trust it and would insist on micing it
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 17, 2013,