hi, i've been wanting a pair of duncans for my ibanez rg, but in my experience with dimarzios here's the deal:

have 2 or 3 combos that are f-spaced and they fit very well about the string alignment on the neck, but a friend of mine once installed a regular spaced (dimarzio) on an ibanez and didn't match the poles with the strings, specially the high E string which caused lower output with the first 3 strings and lack of sustain.

Once i bought a pair of duncan design that were regular spaced and didn't fit on an ibanez (which i understand that all ibanez need f-spaced pickups), and the answer were the same as my friend, lack of sustain and lower output.

so, here's the question, specially if there's a user that has Duncans on an ibanez rg or s model. which neck pickup should i buy? trembucker or regular spaced??

(and yes there are neck trembuckers)
ibanez rg370dx (Crunchlab/Area 58/Liquifire)
ibanez rgr320ex (EMG 81/85)
ibanez grx20 (Super 3/PAF PRO)
ibanez gsr205 bass
randall rh150 head
avatar 2x12 contemporary cab (GK-100's)
boss GT8
ibanez weeping demon wah
line 6 ux1
Ibanez has a wider string spacing than most guitars, so I would go F spaced.

Though in practice, it shouldn't make any difference other than aesthetically. Your problems may have stemmed from something else.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
As a general rule, if the guitar has a Fender-style tremolo or a Floyd Rose (or a stop tail with the spacing of the Fender-style bridge), get a trembucker or F-Spaced humbucker.

If it uses a traditional style bridge (like a Bigsby or a Tune-o-Matcic) use a regular spaced humbucker.

Virtually all single coils are F-Spaced.
Railed humbuckers and single coils don't matter because there are no individual pole pieces.

According to the guys at Dimarzio, it does make a difference if the poll pieces aren't lined up with the strings correctly. They claim loss of output and such. Depending on who you talk to, this is either legit or BS. I'm inclined to believe the pickup makers rather than some guy on the internet,

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/faq/frequently-asked/everything-else/what_does_tremb/

http://www.dimarzio.com/faq#55/65/7571
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
If you have a tremolo = trembucker = f spaced
If you do not = standard space

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
If you have a tremolo = trembucker = f spaced
If you do not = standard space

actually, nope, i have 3 ibanez tremolo and fixed bridge and all of them are f-spaced neck and bridge.
ibanez gsr205 bass
randall rh150 head
boss GT8
ibanez weeping demon wah
line 6 ux1
^ If you know that, why even ask?

Forget brand names and vibratos (the correct term for 'tremolo'...) or fixed bridges. You can get fixed bridges that have wider spacing and you can get vibratos that have a narrow spacing. Some pickup manufacturers make their pickups in 48mm and 50mm spacing, others do 48mm and 51mm, 49m, 52mm, 53mm, 54mm... then there's the whole deal with 'trembuckers' actually being a different outer shape to humbuckers, too.

You know how you work out what you need? Geat a good steel ruler and measure your strings. That's it. There is no universal law that says every pickup in [X] position on [X] brand guitar must have [X] spacing. You talk about Ibanez as if they only use one bridge spacing. You realise that there are twelve differently-spaced bridges that Ibanez use? Some are better off with F-spaced humbuckers. Some are best off with trembuckers. Some are best off with regular-spaced humbuckers.

If you'd give us the actual model name of the guitar in question then we could tell you what spacing to use. Better yet you could just measure it yourself and have a perfectly precise answer right there, far quicker than it takes for somebody on the internet to respond.

If you measure the string spacing right above the bridge humbucker and it is 51mm, get an F-spaced DiMarzio. If it's 52mm, get a Seymour Duncan trembucker. If it's much larger than that then you'll be best off with a 'rail' or 'blade'-style pickup. If it's 50mm or smaller then use any standard humbucker.
Same goes for the neck. Measure the strings from the 1st to the 6th right across the pickup. This tells you what spacing you need to get the poles to line up.

As a general rule of thumb, if the nut is wider than 43mm than the neck pickup should use an f-spaced humbucker or trembucker. If it is 43mm or less then use a regular humbucker. If the bridge saddle spacing is 53mm or more then the bridge pickup should be an f-saced humbucker or trembucker. If it is less than 53mm then use a normal humbucker. These are only basic guidelines to go by if, for some bizarre reason, you can not measure the string spacing over the pickups accurately.

As for whether it matters or not, it depends on the guitar, the strings and the pickup in question. If you use a pickup like a regular-spaced DiMarzio Evo but the string spacing is extra-wide and with a light string gauge then yes you will notice a difference in output across the strings. On the other hand if we're talking about something like a Gibson SG and a standard PAF-copy humbucker then really, you won't notice any difference if the poles aren't aligned properly. Ultimately, almost all humbuckers use bar magnets that spread the magnetic field evenly across the strings. The pole pieces only extend this a little. Hex-style pieces are more precise and focus the magnetic field more while the common slug and screw pieces barely make a difference.

Of course, pickup height also matters. It's quite easy to make certain strings have more or less output than others by setting up the guitar in a specific fashion (either intentionally or accidentally).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
^ If you know that, why even ask?

If you'd give us the actual model name of the guitar in question then we could tell you what spacing to use. Better yet you could just measure it yourself and have a perfectly precise answer right there, far quicker than it takes for somebody on the internet to respond.

thats why i'm asking don't know if buy trembucker for the neck or regular spacing.

fat10, gibraltar and edge II are the tremolos of ibanez that fit perfect with f-spaced dimarzios neck/bridge.

wonder if there's anybody that has an ibanez with duncans...
ibanez gsr205 bass
randall rh150 head
boss GT8
ibanez weeping demon wah
line 6 ux1
Quote by korn56
actually, nope, i have 3 ibanez tremolo and fixed bridge and all of them are f-spaced neck and bridge.
Quote by korn56
thats why i'm asking don't know if buy trembucker for the neck or regular spacing.

You answered your own question, but you're still asking it?

As far as pickup spacing, it doesn't really matter. I installed a set of American Standard single coils in a Squier that I had, and the neck pickup's bass pole was way off from the low E string and the rest of them didn't align quite right. It didn't affect the output of the guitar at all, on any string.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D

You answered your own question, but you're still asking it?

well, sorry for the misunderstood writing hehe.

on seymour duncan site says it recommends and suggest regular spacing for neck and trembucker for bridge. dimarzio sets both comes f-spaced. so...which one do i follow??

that why i'm confused
ibanez gsr205 bass
randall rh150 head
boss GT8
ibanez weeping demon wah
line 6 ux1
You measure your guitar and see. That is what you follow. DiMarzio's website does not know what guitar you are using. Seymour Duncan's website does not know what guitar you are using. You know what guitar you are using. You can measure it, you can find out the string spacing and from that you can tell what pole spacing you need.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.