Hey everybody.

I've been playing acoustic guitar for a couple of years and im getting ok at it (intermediate level i guess)

But i have always wanted to play the electric guitar and i finally got some money in my pocket to realize this fantasy, but i am completely lost in all of this equipment that you can/should get.

I need some help from you guys out there..

First of all, what do i really need to get started?

and i would like some good quality for some good value

I have around 1300 dollars to spend on this, and i believe that should be enough to get some good equipment? if not then tell me how much i need and then i'll just save up a little/a lot more.

As i said im completely green in this area as i have never actually played an electric, but i just love hearing an electric riff or lick. Guys like B.B King, Hendrix, Clapton and a newer John Mayer is heaven for me, and i NEED to learn it! Besides, i got some acoustic skill so i have heard that i have the foundation laid?

Anyway guys, please heeeelp me. What do i need to get, and what models and brands should i get?

Hope you wanna take a few minutes you help out a fellow man.

Thanks in advance.

Yours Truly,

Marc Henriksen
Last edited by MarcFlink at Mar 17, 2013,
Oh, and as to the style of music i like, it is the kind of John Mayer Continuum bluesy style that he does on that album. Not the Jimmy Hendrix epic hard rock Voodoo Child music that i would like to play.
Right, we're probably looking at a Strat guitar wise... They're some of the best to start on, and it'll really help nail those Mayer tones. I'd say a Squier Classic Vibe like this one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Classic-Vibe-Stratocaster--50s-Electric-Guitar-105174635-i1400992.gc

As for the amp, you have two options, go modelling, in which case I would recommend a Peavey Vypyr of some description and will enable you to go beyond just the genres you listed if you chose to.

The other option is to go tube, you clearly would want an amp that does blues tone. You really would need to try a few but my suggestions would be a Humboldt Hotrod Blues Junior from PGS (http://proguitarshop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=humboldt+hot+rod)

Or a used Fender Deluxe Reverb, or possibly a Vox AC15
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Also look at a nice overdrive pedal, A Digitech Bad Monkey, Or a Boss Blues Driver
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by GABarrie
Right, we're probably looking at a Strat guitar wise... They're some of the best to start on, and it'll really help nail those Mayer tones. I'd say a Squier Classic Vibe like this one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Classic-Vibe-Stratocaster--50s-Electric-Guitar-105174635-i1400992.gc

As for the amp, you have two options, go modelling, in which case I would recommend a Peavey Vypyr of some description and will enable you to go beyond just the genres you listed if you chose to.

The other option is to go tube, you clearly would want an amp that does blues tone. You really would need to try a few but my suggestions would be a Humboldt Hotrod Blues Junior from PGS (http://proguitarshop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=humboldt+hot+rod)

Or a used Fender Deluxe Reverb, or possibly a Vox AC15

What is the difference between modelling and tube. As i wrote, im really not very well informed
Modelling is digital technology trying to sound like a tube amp. The very expensive ones almost manage it but that's not in your price range. But a modeller can emulate amps for country, jazz, blues, rock, metal etc. where as a tube amp may only do one or two genres, but will sound warmer, more organic and the overdriving/distortion tone will sound better (general consensus, but some people prefer the distortion on solid state) for blues you really should be looking at tube a that's what the tone is all about.
Ibanez WD7 Wah
'Modelling' amps try to sound like other things. For example, one button may give you an imitation of the sound a Marshall amp makes while pressing another button will give you an imitation of a Fender amp. They rarely sound exactly like the thing they're trying to copy (if they did, nobody would use anything else), but they do a vague approximation. Modelling amps can also have their own original tones, too.

A 'valve' or 'tube' amp is one that uses thermionic valves, also known as vacuum tubes, to amplify the signal and produce the sound that you hear. Most amplifiers are either valve or solid state (which uses transistors instead), though you can also get amps which mix technologies ('hybrid' amps), such as using valves for the preamp and transistors for the power amp.

Most people prefer the sound of valve amps because that is what was used on most early rock and blues recordings; it is what people are most used to. Solid state amps have a technically more accurate and controlled sound but this can have a 'cold' or 'harsh' sound, since it is not what we're used to hearing in most music.

Modelling amps can be valve amps, but most of the time they will be solid state amps or a hybrid.

The stickied threads on this board (and on the Electric Guitar board) can give you all the info you need; read those before you do anything else.

As for what to buy, since you can already play an acoustic your hands will probably have already gotten used to a particular style of neck. This is the most important part of selecting a guitar. If you can, find out what sort of neck your acoustic guitar has. How thick it is, the fretboard radius, the fret height and the scale length. Then you can try and find an electric guitar that also has a neck like that. Don't worry if you can't find this info out. Often the best thing to do is to simply go to a shop and try lots of guitars. Just keep trying guitars until something feels good in your hands. Don't worry if you can't play much on them, you'll still be able to tell if a guitar feels good to you or not. Then, once you've found a guitar that feels good to you, note it down and look up what guitars may be similar to it (no harm in checking out alternatives) or ask the store staff f they have any similar guitars. Just keep trying stuff out, narrowing your selection down until you've found something that feels just right. Buy that. No matter what anybody tells you is good to buy, the best purchase for you is the one that feels best in your hands.

As for other bits and pieces, after buying a guitar, amp and cable, you should buy a spare pack or two of strings, an assortment of picks and a tuner, if you don't already have one. Then you're pretty much done.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Mar 17, 2013,
Thank you so much for the detailed answers guys I'll be looking into all of this asap, and hopefully i'll be playing in no time

Again, thanks :-)
Just for beginner purposes I'd say that something like the Vyper would be a good choice. Because they aren't pricey at all and you can save the money that you would have spent on the amp until you know more about what you want. IMO, anyway.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Good call on the neck. Since you have foundation in acoustic guitar you propably have a preference for neck thickness and style. So go to a shop and try out few guitars. One of them should click with you.

I would divide the 1300$ to 600$ for guitar, 500$ for a good combo amp and rest for accessories. Overdrive pedal (unless you get a modeling amp) like Digitech Bad Monkey or any tubescreamer clone, cables, picks, A GOOD STRAP etc...

About amps, maybe Fender Mustang III or Vox VT80? Not sure how good they are really because I havent heard one. Peavey Vypyr would be my first choice for modelling amp but that is usually recommended for metal crowd like me, no idea how well it works with other kinds of music.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 17, 2013,
For the amp i would highly suggest a Fender Blues Deluxe if you can find one used. I think it would be the perfect amp for what you want. If it needs to be cheaper a Peavey Classic 30 or even the Blues Jr.
If I were you I would go for a fender strat (a squier will do the job but you'll end up wanting the real deal before long)

If you're just playing on your own and not in a band. I would go for a small tube combo, the sound you're after is about sweet, simplistic tone not complicated effects so there's no need for any modelling features or the like.

My laney vc15 has been great for years now, I can get Hendrix or Mayer sounds all day long with my strat, and as a bonus it can keep up with most drummers and bassists.

If you have any spare cash (and I suspect you might) I would go for a wah wah pedal (Dunlop cry baby or box v847, your preference) and an overdrive or a fuzz and maaaaybe a compressor

Oh, and don't forget your fender custom shop tweed cables!!!!
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Hss strat, and fender mustang 2 if you're cheaping out. hss strat and fender blues jr/vox ac15 and a digitech bad monkey if you're just kinda doing it. get everything used.
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's odd how much I disliked broccoli as a child yet now it's my favorite vegetable.

i used to make music. now i'm lazy. here's my soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/oleh-ustimenko
Quote by SimplyBen
Just for beginner purposes I'd say that something like the Vyper would be a good choice. Because they aren't pricey at all and you can save the money that you would have spent on the amp until you know more about what you want. IMO, anyway.

And speaking of the Vyper, The 60 watt amp is a combination of modeling and a tube power section. They seem to be liked here.
Guitars:
Agile AL 3000
Alvarez AD60SC
Ibanez GRX20
Squire Standard Strat

Amp:
Peavey Valveking 2x12

Effects:
Digitech Grunge
Behringer Tube Overdrive TO800
Digitech GNX3

i thought losing my virginity would be better than that
Fender Stratocaster (Standard, made in Mexico), a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver and a Fender Blues Junior (or if you can afford a little more) a Fender Deluxe.

A lot of guitarists have made a lot of money using that setup.
Quote by some_dude_2
Fender Stratocaster (Standard, made in Mexico), a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver and a Fender Blues Junior (or if you can afford a little more) a Fender Deluxe.

A lot of guitarists have made a lot of money using that setup.

+1
Used mim (made in Mexico strat) blues jr and a fuzz is all you need leaves about 500-600s left over save the rest for beer and future upgrades to your set up
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.