I need to begin searching for apartments. Anybody know anything about apartment hunting in Milwaukee or in general?

I'd like to be on the lower east side or bay view neighborhoods, and spend less than 700 a month, although if I can get away with 550 or so for a studio, I'd be fine with that. I did happen to find these two places owned by the same company.

http://www.edgewaterre.com/search_result.aspx?&rmwebsvc_command=Detail_View.aspx&rmwebsvc_corpid=ere&rmwebsvc_location=&rmwebsvc_id=474&rmwebsvc_mode=javaScript&rmwebsvc_AvailabilityDate=12/31/2099&rmwebsvc_template=Default%20Template
http://www.edgewaterre.com/search_result.aspx?&rmwebsvc_command=Detail_View.aspx&rmwebsvc_corpid=ere&rmwebsvc_location=&rmwebsvc_id=126&rmwebsvc_mode=javaScript&rmwebsvc_AvailabilityDate=12/31/2099&rmwebsvc_template=Default%20Template

They're both practically downtown (where my job and internship both are located) and in between there and where a lot of the cool local bands play and where the "hip" bars are located. So either one would be perfect for me. Basically I'm going to call them both up tomorrow and stop by the open house if I can.

Anybody have any tips on apartment hunting? What questions to ask? How to act? What to look for?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Mar 17, 2013,
The most impowtant thing, is to keep veeewwyy veewwwy quiet
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by sam b
Your links don't work

I think I fixed them.
The most important thing is you move to an area with the least ethnic minorities as possible.

Studies have shown that you are 99.99998% more likely to be buggered and burgled. Or possibly burgled then buggered.
Find an apartment you might be interested in and go there at a few different hours to get an idea of the area. If you see a bunch of sketchy looking people loitering around at night, then it's probably not a very good area.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Gyroscope
Find an apartment you might be interested in and go there at a few different hours to get an idea of the area. If you see a bunch of sketchy looking people loitering around at night, then it's probably not a very good area.

Yeah, the area I'm looking at is really nice. right in between downtown and the beach/lakefront. I'm kind of astounded there are $525 studios available over there.

I plan on checking them out today.
Holy crap rent there is cheap compared to where I live.
Quote by snipelfritz
Anybody have any tips on apartment hunting? What questions to ask? How to act? What to look for?

Some obvious things you may already know:
Ask about what's included in the rent and what is payed for seperately (heat, water, electricity)
Look at the age of the appliances, that should give you and idea of when the last time the apartment had a thorough upgrade was.
Check for water damage, flooring damage, make sure the electrical outlets are in good shape so you don't have to worry about shoddy wiring.
Ask about current problems in the apartment.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you play an instrument since you're on UG
So ask about noise from your amplifier if you have one, or your acoustic, or if there are any regulations regarding noise. (They're probably will be)
Bring a tape measure and make sure that the apartment will actually fit your current furniture if you're bringing it.
That's all I remember from last time I moved, best of luck to you.
Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
this guy's next thread will be about selling his tube amp
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.