Page 1 of 2
The first level with the long row of spikes is too hard. Especially in the first couple of levels, you need to guide your player through them. Don't put a test of skill so early on. I shall continue playing.

EDIT: first hotel level: I bounce off the screen and can't see where I am? HUGE no-no. That is a major issue that needs fixing.
I got to the second level with gravity changing and turned it off. The level design isn't very good. You're not taking the time to introduce the player to the new obstacles properly. You're showing him "okay this is new" and then throwing it at the player at top speed. There are really odd difficulty spikes that feel weird and out of place, like the second hotel level.

It's a cute idea, and I dig the music and "purposely crappy" visuals, but the level design needs a lot of work.
I disagree with a lot of these comments, it really doesn't require the introduction everyone is saying, it's pretty self explanatory. I like it, except that yeah, it's really ****ing hard. The pace needs to slow right down, and I can't see where I am most of the time.

On the plus side, cool aesthetic, cool music, cool minimal controls, pretty much predictable physics - good game.

B+

EDIT: and I just finished it. It's too short.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Last edited by McTodd at Mar 17, 2013,
The second anti gravity level is ****ing impossible.

It's a really fun idea for a game, but you've made it far too difficult.
Yeah, I love that you have no idea what the fuck you're doing half the time. Like, every level seems impossible until you go through it a few a times and start to see the pattern of what you have to do.

I dunno, it's not going to change the world, but it's a good way to kill some time.

EDIT:

And I'm at like the 5th circus stage. Get on my level bitches.
Quote by McTodd
I disagree with a lot of these comments, it really doesn't require the introduction everyone is saying, it's pretty self explanatory. I like it, except that yeah, it's really ****ing hard. The pace needs to slow right down, and I can't see where I am most of the time.

of course it's self-explanatory, but the game needs to give a player the chance to get used to new mechanics. The reason you feel it's rushed is the exact thing I was talking about, the game throws new shit at you way too quickly.

One thing that really bothered me, the game doesn't teach you how to move in the air. Things go way too fast for a player to even realise that he CAN move in the air, and it's a major thing that the player needs to know how to do.

Obviously everybody figures it out after a while, but it's not good practice to not teach a player such a vital thing.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Mar 17, 2013,
Quote by CoreysMonster
of course it's self-explanatory, but the game needs to give a player the chance to get used to new mechanics. The reason you feel it's rushed is the exact thing I was talking about, the game throws new shit at you way too quickly.

One thing that really bothered me, the game doesn't teach you how to move in the air. Things go way to fast for a player to even realise that he CAN move in the air, and it's a major thing that the player needs to know how to do.

I see your point on this, but I disagree - I think you learn those things by playing it. You don't lose anything from failing a level, so there's every motivation to try out new things and explore the game a bit, which is the essence of good gaming. I don't think it throws anything overwhelmingly complex at you straight away.

One more minor complaint - the back story should be either good or "ironically" shit on purpose, and I'm not sure which you've tried to do.
Finished it and that was really fun and I'm not usually one for flash games but that was actually really good. Was hard at parts but it wasn't over the top hard it was just right very good
Some of that shit was hard. Especially that last level. A map would definitely be helpful.
Maybe the point is for it to be really hard? I'm not denying that level design could be improved upon, but perhaps a high degree of difficulty was the aim.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by McTodd
I see your point on this, but I disagree - I think you learn those things by playing it.

You can learn any game by playing it often enough. A staple of good game design is that it teaches you how to play while you're playing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsN2RN-tBbg

^ The Super Meatboy guy explains it pretty well
I'm on the circus levels now. I don't really think the game is that hard. It just takes adaptation, and to me, that's not a bad thing. I'm failing to see the issue.

edit: Just beat the game, took maybe 10 minutes. I thought it was a lot of fun. And now that I'v played through the whole thing, I rescind my original post. I think the level design is perfect for the type of game.

vv It's also not a multiplayer game lol
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Last edited by eGraham at Mar 17, 2013,
Quote by CoreysMonster
You can learn any game by playing it often enough. A staple of good game design is that it teaches you how to play while you're playing it.

^ The Super Meatboy guy explains it pretty well

I think he ticked all the boxes that were in that video - new thing is added, you can only progress by using new thing, you learn how to use new thing. I'll grant you that it's a matter of taste, but I don't think anyone is going to hurl their computer out the window in frustration because they can't jump over the spikes from the trampoline
I liked it, but was a bit short, and once you got the hang of it, it became pretty easy. But it was better than the average platformers I stumble upon nowdays.
Quote by theogonia777
That didn't have any of the stuff that you promised it would have.

Ha! That game is still in the works, and also a FPS I am working on. This was just a small project I did as practice.

One thing that really bothered me, the game doesn't teach you how to move in the air. Things go way too fast for a player to even realise that he CAN move in the air, and it's a major thing that the player needs to know how to do.

One thing I wanted to do with this game is let the player figure out things on their own. I get your point on teaching them, but I didn't want to waste anybody's time, or hold their hand with basic controls. If they have half a brain they will figure out they can move in the air within the first 10 seconds of playing. No need to tell them.
OK I just hit escape and the whole thing just fills with text and doesn't let me exit.
kk nvm it's working again. My fault, was actually ` i pressed.
I feel the camera should have Paul a little more to the left, so that you can see where your aiming for sooner. That or have a background which varies as you go closer. It was simply tricky knowing where I was even meant to be going.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by nosuchmanasmole
cool music, did you write it yourself ?

Naw. A really talented Newgrounder with the username OctoEntandre made it. It is called "Chill Street". Would definitely recommend checking out his other stuff. Especially his video game loops.
I beat it on my first play through, it was not too hard for me and i did not feel that the difficulty increased too fast. perfect level of hardness
My ball turned invisible on the first circus level, dafuq.

EDIT: I didn't see the clear as dau "Z" on it lol
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
You should watch Egoraptors Megaman vs Megaman X sequelitis. He talks about how X walks that line of handholding and teaching perfectly. I will say this, if you are going to introduce momentum mechanics, you shouldn't have puzzles that require the player to stop almost instantly. Like, where they can't even see it to slow down. That's not good game design. Otherwise, not bad.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Whoa, I finished it.

I kinda feel that the game is a bit too trigger-happy with the "failure" thing. On certain levels, unless one has been playing old-generation console games or something, it's very difficult to gauge where Paul is going to land, due to the limited field of view.

Other than that, an enjoyable little thing.
Quote by hriday_hazarika

an enjoyable little thing.

Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by toBetheVeryBest
One thing I wanted to do with this game is let the player figure out things on their own. I get your point on teaching them, but I didn't want to waste anybody's time, or hold their hand with basic controls. If they have half a brain they will figure out they can move in the air within the first 10 seconds of playing. No need to tell them.

That's not congruent with the point of the game. The game is about making your way through the level, right? Then making the player have to try out the controls in order to figure out what they can do instead of teaching them is out of place.

Quote by jjbarnes
You should watch Egoraptors Megaman vs Megaman X sequelitis. He talks about how X walks that line of handholding and teaching perfectly. I will say this, if you are going to introduce momentum mechanics, you shouldn't have puzzles that require the player to stop almost instantly. Like, where they can't even see it to slow down. That's not good game design. Otherwise, not bad.

This.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

It is indeed a fine line.
I think you guys are putting too much thought into this. Perhaps your arguments are valid. But it seems almost contradictory to say what definitions a game 'should' adhere to. Every game is different, and it's possible that this one turned out exactly the way it was supposed to.

What I mean by that is the critique may well be unnecessary and fruitless.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Holy crap I finished it.
Now I feel empty inside...
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Quote by Ometh
Holy crap I finished it.
Now I feel empty inside...

Maybe you can fill that void up with a nice big dick

am I doing it right?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Page 1 of 2