Page 1 of 2
Looking for a decent half stack. I play mostly rock and metal with a little country. Thanks
Sorry about that. $1500 new or used, rock, metal, little country. I currently have a Vyper 100.
Specific tones/bands you want to sound close to? What's your guitar & pickups? Is this for home/studio or gigging?
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Small gigs without a PA. I have an older Charvel fusion w factory pups. I like 80's hair bands, megadeth, metallica, poison with some country thrown in there. Basically just jammin in the garage with friends. I don;t have any pedals because of the Vyper. What would be must have pedals?
Don't feel like you need a half stack or any pedals just because they're a "must have" for your type of music. Get what sounds best to you.

I'd look into a Marshall JCM of the 800, 900, or 2000 varieties.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
trust me when I say...you don't need a half stack. you just want one! get yourself a nice 100w or 50w combo. It will be plenty for what you need it for, and much easier to transport! I shall recoment a Marshall JVM combo. Great versatile amp with tons of gain on tap.
Last edited by gurg06 at Mar 17, 2013,
Quote by gurg06
trust me when I say...you don't need a half stack. you just want one! get yourself a nice 100w or 50w combo. It will be plenty for what you need it for, and much easier to transport! I shall recoment a Marshall JVM combo. Great versatile amp with tons of gain on tap.

No you don't need one, but if he wants one then thats fine. I have owned 1/2 stacks for the last 12 yrs. If you have the room for it and can transport it, get one if you want.

You can find some really great combos for cheap, so it is also a good idea not to dissmiss a combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 17, 2013,
I have a 100 watt peavey vyper with 2-12's. I want something with a better sound and more simplicity. I spend more time adjusting the amp than I do actually playing. I typically only use the tube screamer pedal through the 6505 amp setting on my vyper. A little reverb and delay also. Are the multi-effects pedals any good. I am getting back into playing after a 20 yr abscence. I guess I will take my guitar down to guitar center and try a few.
I don't know how accurate the Vypyr's model of the 6505 is, but maybe that'll work. A tube screamer into a 6505 typically has a more modern sound, but hey, if it sounds good to you.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
^ yo, you're back!

also, JCM2000 DSL
JCM900 SL-X or MkIII (not dual reverb)
dont know how much they go for there but Rivera Knucklehead
Mesa Mark IV, Dual Rec
JCM800 with a boost
Orange or sorts
Quote by Robbgnarly
No you don't need one, but if he wants one then thats fine. I have owned 1/2 stacks for the last 12 yrs. If you have the room for it and can transport it, get one if you want.

You can find some really great combos for cheap, so it is also a good idea not to dissmiss a combo

x2 on the 1/2 stack. It places some of the sound projection closer to your ears, you don't have to bend over to turn EQ knobs and damn it your beer is closer to you.

As far pedals go- some sort of tube screamer and a noise gate. Also since you jam maybe a tuner pedal. TC Polytune is 69.99 from SweetWater with no tax and shipping. I just got one from them.

Nice to have pedals- 10band EQ, chorus or flanger, delay.
Last edited by R45VT at Mar 17, 2013,
Look into the Carvin X-series, like the X100B heads. I have an XV112 100w combo and it's one of the few amps I've played with a great clean channel AND a great distortion channel. Tons of gain, more than you'll ever need for 80s metal, and a kickass clean channel for country or blues.

EDIT: Of course that's quite a bit below your budget. Still a good option if you wanted to save your money.
Last edited by CaptDin at Mar 17, 2013,
I would definitely give the Marshall DSL a look, as mentioned.

The Carvin X100B would also be very good to check out, as CaptDin mentioned (I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise).

The Peavey Ultra Plus/XXX/JSX might work for you. Try them if you can find them.

Mesa Mark IV would probably be a good choice. The V would be better, I'm not sure if they go for $1500 or not. I'm not familiar with the versions before IV, so I can't comment on how god they are for thrash or not.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have seen the Mark V go for as little as 1500. Normally they go for 1600. Thats for the head version so you would still need a cab.

TS- where do you live? (Might have missed this)

Mark IV/V, DSL, JSX would be at the top of my list.

Also - the 6505/+ is a good head- just not british voiced. It really does set the bar for high gain metal though. Prices have dropped on the 5150's- I have seen some go for as low as $450.
Last edited by R45VT at Mar 17, 2013,
Definitely a mesa, in my opinion. They are the most versatile. Mark iv head used is about 1100-1400. Or you can spend a tad more for a used mark v head which is about 1600-1800

2012 Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom
2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Mark IV
Assuming you are in the United States, take a look at Carvin's V3 halfstack. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/V3412
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
Nearly everyone on here who bought a V3 said channel 3 was missing something and returned or sold it.
Quote by R45VT
Nearly everyone on here who bought a V3 said channel 3 was missing something and returned or sold it.

I think that's more the case with the V3M. Have people said that about the V3 as well? I was definitely NOT impressed by the V3M, and I know others have come on here and said the same thing about that amp.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
In addition to the other great suggestions, I'd look at the Carvin Legacy 3 and the EVH 5150 III 50 watt. I'm not sure how suitable the Legacy is for metal though. Also, a common problem with the EVH seems to be that there is a volume jump between channel 1 and 2, which is hard to work around due to the shared EQ. I think that could be solved by an EQ in the loop on channel 1 (MXR 10 band or Boss GE-7, Danelectro Fish n Chips if you want something cheap but decent). I'm actually saving for the EVH at the moment, and I'm probably going to run an EQ in the loop.

Hope that helps!
Quote by R45VT

I've heard that about the V3M, but it hasn't been my experience with the V3. One thing about Carvin amps: almost every amplifier technician/modifier I've talked to about them say that nearly all Carvin amplifiers come biased too cold. They tell me that a minor bias tweak makes a world of difference, and these are amps that sound pretty good to begin with.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
Maybe it was the M. Not sure. Always play extensively before you buy anyway.

A lot of amps are biased cold. Peaveys, Mesas, even some Marshalls. Some are adjustable some are not and require modifications to be able to adjust.
Try orange tiny terror with orange 4/12 if you are thinking marshal, at least try an orange before you buy, same flavor but better in my opinion.
Quote by ihartfood
^ yo, you're back!

I drop by sometimes

I don't know if it's just my ears, but the aforementioned Marshall JVM, most Oranges, and Carvin V3 and Legacy amps have all been quite fizzy in my experiences. I think that's fine for hair metal, but am I the only one that thinks that?

I'll throw the EVH 5150III into consideration. The cleans are fabulous (when you want them) and the amount of gain is ridiculous. Not to everyone's voicing, though.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Quote by outlawten5
Awesome replies everyone. Thank you. Alot has changed in the last 20 yrs

If you tell us your closest city we can point out some good used options.
splawn quickrod. hotrodded marshall from hell. $1100 or less on forums/ebay. that is if you are going to want a 'marshally' tone.

if you are looking at something more american in flavour, i would go for a MKIV or MKV. i have a MKIV and love it. $875 with new tubes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Jsx
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 18, 2013,
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 18, 2013,
Quote by outlawten5

It rates very poorly. They are not made very well and that particular model from Bugera has had some serious QC issues. I'd steer clear, especially with your budget. The tone is good though I've read.
As I stated before I have a Peavey viper 100 with 2-12's. I have heard their speakers suck. Would it be worthwhile to replace the speakers? Or could I run a 4-12 cabinet off of it?
Now, speaker swaps on a modeling amp isn't really a smart choice unless you want it to be your main amp and just want to make a little shift in the character.

I forgot about Splawn; also a very good recommendation.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Also, there are a few 5150's but they won't do the blues.

Depends. Idk if TS elaborated on his blues or not, but I loved using my 5150 green channel for dirty/gritty blues.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm still in the learning/breaking-in/honeymoon phase with my EVH 5150 50W. It's a GREAT amp, but it does have the issue with a volume jump between the clean and rhythm channels. It's very noticable at low volumes; I haven't cranked it up yet so I don't know if the gap closes at higher volumes.

But the rhythm channel cleans up quite well when you roll back the volume knob on the guitar so that's one option. The EQ pedal might be another option, but then you'll need to do a little tap dance to hit the channel 1 button, then the EQ very quickly afterward (if gigging...wouldn't really matter at home).

I'm still working on a good workaround for that issue (I have a pretty good idea I think) but other than that, it's an incredible amp.
Guitars
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender John Mayer Strat
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amps
- Axe FX II XL+
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Quote by Deadpool_25
I'm still in the learning/breaking-in/honeymoon phase with my EVH 5150 50W. It's a GREAT amp, but it does have the issue with a volume jump between the clean and rhythm channels. It's very noticable at low volumes; I haven't cranked it up yet so I don't know if the gap closes at higher volumes.

But the rhythm channel cleans up quite well when you roll back the volume knob on the guitar so that's one option. The EQ pedal might be another option, but then you'll need to do a little tap dance to hit the channel 1 button, then the EQ very quickly afterward (if gigging...wouldn't really matter at home).

I'm still working on a good workaround for that issue (I have a pretty good idea I think) but other than that, it's an incredible amp.

I have heard using a MIDI pedal can fix the volume jump betwen ch1 and 2. Might be something to look at
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Offworld92
Depends. Idk if TS elaborated on his blues or not, but I loved using my 5150 green channel for dirty/gritty blues.

You might like it for dirty blues but I don't. You don't drive a 5150 into distortion if you know what I mean. Usually when people give a range like metal-rock-blues they are trying to demonstrate they need flexibility. I know you like the 5150/6505+ a lot (as do I) but if I had a $1500 budget and wanted to cover a lot of stuff I wouldn't buy a 5150. Plus, that one was $900 and the other $750.

That said - it covers a lot more ground than just modern metalcore - whomever said that.

Quote by outlawten5
As I stated before I have a Peavey viper 100 with 2-12's. I have heard their speakers suck. Would it be worthwhile to replace the speakers? Or could I run a 4-12 cabinet off of it?

Let's take a step back here. What are wanting to accomplish?

PS: I have a Vypyr 60
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 18, 2013,
The more I play with the Vyper the more I am starting to like it. I need to figure out how to set the presets on the sampera II pedal. I just got the pedal and it is a little confusing. On the Vyper I have been using the DSL setting clean with a little preamp added and the tube screamer. Seems to cover alot of what I play. Or at least has a decent sound. I have a charvel btw so its not the pups.
Quote by outlawten5
The more I play with the Vyper the more I am starting to like it. I need to figure out how to set the presets on the sampera II pedal. I just got the pedal and it is a little confusing. On the Vyper I have been using the DSL setting clean with a little preamp added and the tube screamer. Seems to cover alot of what I play. Or at least has a decent sound. I have a charvel btw so its not the pups.

It is def not the pups so you can probably rule that out.

I was going to ask what it was about your tone that you wanted to change.

I think you may just need to spend some time tweaking. I can't help you with the Sanpera pedal but Offworld might, or youtube, or even the Peavey.com forums.

The speakers were designed for the amp if I remember but I do know people have swapped out speakers with great success. I like the stock speaker in my Vypyr 60.

Not sure what the DSL setting is. I personally like the Diezel and Dual Rec models the best with no boosts. The amp also takes standalone stompboxes pretty well.
Page 1 of 2