Hi, I'm terrible at recognizing time signatures, so for one example, I thought Velvet Revolver's Fall to Pieces was constantly switching between 3/4 and 2/4. I looked it up to find that I'm way off.

Attached is the way I thought of it in a Tuxguitar tab, very roughly based on the melody (I know the melody is a bit off)

Could someone please explain how I can actually hear time signatures? If I got this wrong I've probably gotten all of them wrong.

Thanks
Attachments:
whatIthinkFTP.tg.zip
I can see why you got confused with that song cuz the accent is on beat 4 which is then tied across the bar line.

S'just experience. That's all... and being able to ****ing count properly. That was a joke.

What time signature do you think this is in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SDWFvsN2lw
Hmm, 3/4 at about 30-40 bpm (or maybe 6/8 at 60-70), but then around 1:30 it changes to 4/4. That's just what I hear though, based mostly on the bassline and kicks. I haven't gotten to the rest yet. How do you judge?
3/4 and 6/8 are two different timings. Think of 6/8 as 2/4 in a triplet feel, "1 and a, 2 and a," or "1 2 3, 4 5 6,". 3/4 would be "1 and 2 and 3 and". Numbers are your strong beats here. The song that mdc posted to me sounds like 4/4 but in 3 bar repeats, rather than your typical 4 bar repeats. It might be a really slow 6/4 though.
Wait, I thought 3/4 was

1 and 2 and 3 and

and 6/8 was

1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and

Then couldn't you just replace the "and"s in 3/4 with the numbers of 6/8 and double the tempo and they'd be the same?

And what's the difference between 4/4 in a 3 bar repeat, and 3/4?? I thought 3 represents the number of beats to a measure, and 4 represents the quarter beat

I am so confused
Quote by Sy_B
Wait, I thought 3/4 was

1 and 2 and 3 and

and 6/8 was

1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and

Then couldn't you just replace the "and"s in 3/4 with the numbers of 6/8 and double the tempo and they'd be the same?

And what's the difference between 4/4 in a 3 bar repeat, and 3/4?? I thought 3 represents the number of beats to a measure, and 4 represents the quarter beat

I am so confused

The top number determines how many beats are in the measure and the bottom number says which note gets the beat

3/4 is not the same as 6/8
3/4 is equal to 3 quarter notes
while 6/8 is equal to 6 eigth notes or 3 dotted quarter notes

http://www.musictheory.net/lessons
This should help you out
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Last edited by TDKshorty at Mar 17, 2013,
Quote by TDKshorty
2 dotted quarter notes

Fixed. 6/8 is compound duple.
Quote by Lavatain
The song that mdc posted to me sounds like 4/4 but in 3 bar repeats, rather than your typical 4 bar repeats.

Yes.
Quote by mdc
Fixed. 6/8 is compound duple.

Thanks, it was a typo hah!
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness