now i realize its not the greatest of guitars but i got a good deal on it and its not the average looking guitar so i picked it up, i have a luna pheonix (something along those lines) and i like the guitar for the most part. i have two issues with it and then one thing i'm considering doing.

my two problems are intonation and tuning stability. how might i go about fixing these myself or should i bring it somewhere to get taken care of?

secondly, i dont like the painted neck and am thinking about sanding it down. are there any do's and dont's to go about this?

http://www.lunaguitars.com/acousticproduct/fauphoenix.php
intonation is best done by an experienced tech - it isn't easily done unless you can buy a properly intonated saddle for that exact make and model from the manufacturer. tuning stability would probably mean tightening or replacing the tuners unless the guitar is strung wrong. sanding the back of the neck will change how it feels, and if you want to sell the guitar later, it will make it much harder to do.

btw, if you have to pay to intonate the guitar and have to buy tuners for it, the additional costs will probably make it less of a good deal. add to that that you don't particularly like it...
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Mar 17, 2013,
I actually like the looks of the Luna "Phoenix". But with that said, the only "complex overtones" it likely possesses, are homosexual in nature.... They're certainly not musical in nature.

As far as "intonation" is concerned, we'd need to know you're point of reference. If you're coming from the world of electrics, Mr. "Schecterguy", then most any acoustic won't measure up.

However, the fret job on the Luna could also be laid out incorrectly, and nothing you will ever do short of replacing the neck would correct it. The bridge could also be glued on at the wrong position.

Assuming the guitar doesn't have the problems I just mentioned, you might get a bit closer to true intonation by buying a blank saddle, and grinding it with offsets. You only get an 1/8 inch to play with so you'd get closer but not perfect.

Take a look at the higher end Takamine acoustics, you'll see they have a split saddle as an attempt to get closer to true intonation.

Given the price of the guitar, it's maybe worth a set a replacement tuning machines such as Stew-Mac's house brand. Or, see if the ones supplied have an adjusting screw in the middle of the knobs, which can be used to tweak out the gear lash.

Taking the "paint off" the neck would involve stripping, then refinishing with a matte paint.

You could wet sand the neck with perhaps a 400 grade wet or dry paper to take the glaze off, if that's what's bothering you. Just dull the finish to give you some "traction", you don't want to hit bare wood.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 17, 2013,