So I just picked up a starcaster for $20, I want to pretty it up, get it how I like it, then figure out whether I want to flip it or keep it. There's alot of rust and tarnish on the hardware however, how does one go about removing it?
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
I used to use brown sauce. Honestly, I'd put a rusty article in there and in about 48 hours it'd be nice again. Doesn't regain all of the shine on the metal, but gets rid of the rust.
Silverburst
Simple green and a brush.

If it is really bad, a scotch-brite pad or some #0000 steel wool and some oil will take it off.

Just be careful not to mess up the finish and make sure you vacuum up everything when you are done. That shit will really mess up your electronics if you let those metal shavings get into the pickups.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Well I'm tearing it down to do wiring on it anywway, I'll attack some of it with steel wool, get some chemical stuff for the bridge. thanks all.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Quote by Viban
So I just picked up a starcaster for $20, I want to pretty it up, get it how I like it, then figure out whether I want to flip it or keep it. There's alot of rust and tarnish on the hardware however, how does one go about removing it?
First, I'd bag the "steel wool" idea.

Damn old common automotive chrome polish will cut through a lot of corrosion with little chance of damaging the chrome plating. "DuPont #7" used to be the stuff, but I think they've sold the franchise. You local auto supply or paint dealer will be able to point you toward what's hot these days.

For metals other than chrome, such as aluminum, brass and nickel, there is no better polish than "Happich "Simichrome". Bikers have been using it for decades to bring up the shine on aluminum motorcycle parts to look very close to chrome plating: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=simichrome+polish&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4385766105&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=313117184770746384&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_bmkh9fxxy_b

You can use either of these polishes with a rag, or a rag wheel in a Dremel tool, or electric drill.
Quote by Captaincranky
First, I'd bag the "steel wool" idea.

Damn old common automotive chrome polish will cut through a lot of corrosion with little chance of damaging the chrome plating. "DuPont #7" used to be the stuff, but I think they've sold the franchise. You local auto supply or paint dealer will be able to point you toward what's hot these days.

For metals other than chrome, such as aluminum, brass and nickel, there is no better polish than "Happich "Simichrome". Bikers have been using it for decades to bring up the shine on aluminum motorcycle parts to look very close to chrome plating: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=simichrome+polish&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4385766105&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=313117184770746384&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_bmkh9fxxy_b

You can use either of these polishes with a rag, or a rag wheel in a Dremel tool, or electric drill.

+1. Don't bother with steel wool. Yes, it'll take off your tarnish, but it'll scratch the finish underneath as well, which will not look great, plus it will make it more likely to rust in the future.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
If you have to get some screws freed up (like bridge parts), I have found that Remoil works really good.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've got everything soaking in a coffee can of PB blaster, will this do the same as all of the other oils you've recommended? Also I was thinking, I have an excess of .177cal bb's and was wondering if it'd be a good idea to put some of those in the can and tumble it a bit?
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Quote by Viban
I've got everything soaking in a coffee can of PB blaster, will this do the same as all of the other oils you've recommended? Also I was thinking, I have an excess of .177cal bb's and was wondering if it'd be a good idea to put some of those in the can and tumble it a bit?
Yeah, use the buckshot ! If you're in that much of a big, big, hurry to ruin the plating, why not take your parts and have them sand blasted?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 21, 2013,
Quote by Viban

It's not a great idea, man. That sort of technique you're thinking of is really more for getting rid of stuff like flashing before a metal part gets finished. It's not so good for removing defects in a finish.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
It's not a great idea, man. That sort of technique you're thinking of is really more for getting rid of stuff like flashing before a metal part gets finished. It's not so good for removing defects in a finish.

Well, glad i asked. I woulda just gone and made a Bearing and oil mess.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.