But not like what you think:

I just received word that the first Kickstarter project I ever backed has now finally been completed. It was an indie cartoonist from Houston wanting to make a full book of comics, and the download link of the finished project just went out to all the backers.

I'm feeling pretty good knowing I helped finance this project, and getting the extra stuff that comes with backing a project.

So what are some projects that you have backed that have finished, that you really enjoyed? Were there any projects you backed that turned out to be scams? How did you deal with those?
I've contributed to anything Dave McPherson related via Pledgemusic. In fact, Dave's doing one right now and it's nearly at 300%. Really nice thing about Pledgemusic is that it encourages artists to contribute some of the raised funds to charity as well.
I've only backed one project (Double Fine Adventure) and we're still waiting for that to ship. The backers only documentary about the project has been awesome to watch though. Great insight into how games are made.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
I've backed Charlie Kaufman's short film Anomalisa and Kevin Devine's LP7/LP8. Neither project has been completed yet, but I'm quite excited.

EDIT: Just realized this is specifically about completed Kickstarters. Pardon my idiocy.
Last edited by Samdroid at Mar 17, 2013,
$45 to Protest the Hero's new album

Getting a signed vinyl, name in the album notes, and some other stuff in return. Not sure when yet though. Probably the end of the summer or something
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Mar 17, 2013,
I backed Strange Vacation's kickstarter to fund a vinyl pressing of their first record, I also got a CD and exclusive b-sides through this, great stuff.
I used to give my friend money to pick up a qp of bud. I'd get my money back plus some. I guess thats a bit different than what your talking about though.
I recently backed the game Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey.

Now gotta wait until November 2014 for that one to come to fruition. I have to avoid Kickstarter most of the time, because I know I can't resist the expensive tiers with all the extra tat bonus goodies.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
I'm thinking of backing the remake of that Daytona arcade racing game. It looks pretty good so far so I may pledge some dough.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
I've never used it before, but I just went on there and there's a calender full of cats that's currently got $13,000. I think that's all I need to know...
Quote by Eastwinn
i backed the ouya

I was very torn about backing the Ouya. On the one hand, I thought and still think it to be a brilliant concept, but I don't think the people doing it are the ones to bring this concept to the market. They simply don't have the pull power to do it.

If they pull it off, I will gladly eat my shorts to be proven wrong. I WANT to be proven wrong. I just think that I won't.
I've never backed anything. But I did sign that one thing for that one guy that had a lot of money that one time
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by CoreysMonster
I was very torn about backing the Ouya. On the one hand, I thought and still think it to be a brilliant concept, but I don't think the people doing it are the ones to bring this concept to the market. They simply don't have the pull power to do it.

If they pull it off, I will gladly eat my shorts to be proven wrong. I WANT to be proven wrong. I just think that I won't.

IMO, it'll much more useful as a Smart TV box than a game console.
Quote by CoreysMonster

I have much the same thoughts. However, seeing as the Steam box is on its way, and is shaping up to be pretty much the exact same thing but with Valve's pile of cash behind it, supposedly better hardware, and more games (hopefully), I'm 99.9% sure the Ouya is going to fail.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
i really hope the ouya pulls through. not because i threw money at it (honestly i throw money at anyone who says open source) but because god damn it **** microsoft, **** sony, **** nintendo, and **** valve. the asterisks indicate how mad i am.

i don't have high hopes about it, but if indie developers stick with it, i'll following them anywhere.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by muffinduck01
I have much the same thoughts. However, seeing as the Steam box is on its way, and is shaping up to be pretty much the exact same thing but with Valve's pile of cash behind it, supposedly better hardware, and more games (hopefully), I'm 99.9% sure the Ouya is going to fail.

They appeal to completely different markets. I'm assuming you're talking about the Piston Xi3. The Xi3 is essentially a 1000 dollar miniature computer that will be marketed to the more "hardcore" gamers, while the OUYA is a 100 dollar Android casual gaming machine.
I'm not sure how I feel about paying for entertainment that I may or may not like before it's released.

We're like junior investors.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Mar 17, 2013,
I backed some limited edition represses for a few albums from The Saddest Landscape:

A lot of stuff in this bundle, including a bunch of extra stuff that wasn't even in the description. Rad.

Got a lighter too:

And I asked them to draw a cat on the shipping box, so they did:

Quote by metaldud536
I'm not sure how I feel about paying for entertainment that I may or may not like before it's released.

We're like junior investors.
You're not paying, you're pledging. They only charge you if the target is reached, in which case, you will be getting what you paid for.
Something I've always wondered: Do people make a profit off of Kickstarter? Like say one project is "Help our band raise money to get our CDs printed!" Would it be normal/abiding to Kickstarter for them to charge, say, $250 more than the printing cost and pocket that $250 as profit? They'd still send out the CDs and anything else promised, but they'd also make money directly from the Kickstarter.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
Something I've always wondered: Do people make a profit off of Kickstarter? Like say one project is "Help our band raise money to get our CDs printed!" Would it be normal/abiding to Kickstarter for them to charge, say, $250 more than the printing cost and pocket that $250 as profit? They'd still send out the CDs and anything else promised, but they'd also make money directly from the Kickstarter.
That is a very good question. Given that projects frequently raise more than the target goal, it is possible.

But when I backed the TSL venture, one of their FAQs was "what happens with the extra money?" and their response was, "if there is any extra money, it'll all go back into the band either way for recording/touring/merch making". Or something to that effect.

So for bands, that money often goes back into doing more things for the fans anyway.
I've backed two things, Planetary Annihilation (PC Game) and Boss Monster (Card Game)

the former is still in development and looking fantastic, the latter is complete but due to printing and everything it'll be a couple of months later than expected. They did release a print-and-play version to soften the blow however and it is decently fun. To be honest though, 90% of my reason for backing was the NES style box lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhEYvOYceNs

Quote by necrosis1193

It depends. People frequently get more money than they asked for, and certain project creators openly say "This is what we're doing with the extra money", then you get people who don't say anything or give bullshit things they're going to do with the money. Anita Sarkeesian being the most recent example, she was shooting for 8k, ended up getting 150k, and said that the extra money will go to "compiling a curriculum" to teach her ideology.

Which, you can imagine, is not exactly how 142k could be spent best.
Is that the woman that got funded because she was attacked by trolls and then pissed off a load of female gamers for trying to act as the voice of female gaming?
Quote by JackalUK
Is that the woman that got funded because she was attacked by trolls and then pissed off a load of female gamers for trying to act as the voice of female gaming?

Yup.

The trolls basically served as fuel for her fire, because a bunch of people thought "These trolls are proof that gaming is inherently misogynist in its attitude!" and gave her all the money.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Mar 18, 2013,
I backed Akaneiro by Spicy Horse Games, and there's talk that they'll be funding a 3rd Alice game through Kickstarter if there's interest - you can bet your ass I'll back the shit out that one.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I haven't funded anything because I am an arse. I was going to on Double Fines, then realised I don't actually play any of their games. Then I was going to back Wasteland 2, then realised that InXile havn't actually made any good games for years. The only other thing that interested me was Stuart Ashens' film on indiegogo.
Quote by JackalUK
I haven't funded anything because I am an arse. I was going to on Double Fines, then realised I don't actually play any of their games. Then I was going to back Wasteland 2, then realised that InXile havn't actually made any good games for years. The only other thing that interested me was Stuart Ashens' film on indiegogo.

As a rule, I wont really back anything - Spicy Horse Games just get a pass because Alice.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.