Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today 2 talk about this thing we call Prince.

Can we talk about that nosedive he took after his amazing 80s? Can we talk about how it would be nice if he opened the vaults? Can we talk about how I could have come up with a better thread title? Maybe just about how great "Erotic City" is?

So let's do this.
Let's go crazy. His 90s mostly sucked except I like The Gold Experience. But I sorta disregard that part of his discography because he was gettin' all weird with changing his name and disputing with the record label so I like to justify his music as essentially "taking the piss" around those times.

I wish he would let his shit on youtube and release a cool remastered collection of the 80s stuff.

Sign O the Times is the undisputed best, right? Also, thoughts on Around the World in a Day? I'd say it's one of his few missteps in the 80s.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I think most people would put SOTT as at least top 3. "If I Was Your Girlfriend" might be the best Prince song.

Around The World In A Day, on the other hand is sort of a mess. Some of the tracks are great, but for whatever reason, I don't think that I don't think of it as a great album. From anyone else it would be.
Adore might be my favorite, but I could probably change my mind pretty quickly.

I think i'd like to try and hit up the next Prince tour. How do you feel about his new songs?
Honestly, I think he put out 2 solid albums about 2 years ago, MPLSound and Lotusflower.
To be quite honest, even his weakest material is still great, it's just hard to see it as good as it really is when you compare it to SOTT, Purple Rain, etc.
That's what I've seen. Even among the garbage there are a few gems.

I actually just ordered Emancipation because I figure that being a triple album there must be a way to pare it down to one great disc.
When did Prince become an elder statesman? Like reports of his SXSW show made him sound like a messiah of live music
Still working on my single disc Emancipation. I'll post it here once I've got it figured out.

Quote by genghisgandhi
When did Prince become an elder statesman? Like reports of his SXSW show made him sound like a messiah of live music

I think there two parts to it. One, he genuinely is really great live. He can become a showman in a live setting. Does all the flashy stuff that he sometimes sticks in the background of his studio albums.

Two, his horrible policy of pulling videos off the internet and not allowing any cameras at his shows makes the experience of seeing him a rarity. Now, I don't think that is why he does pulls stuff off the internet, but it is some sort of side effect.

Quote by bradulator
His 90s mostly sucked except I like The Gold Experience.

Just got around to this one. I'd been avoiding it for some reason, but actually has some good songs on there. Is "Dolphin" amazing or terrible? Why do those spoken bits have to interrupt songs? That was almost as bad of an idea as releasing Lovesexy as a single track.
a. "Let's Pretend We're Married" is probably my favorite song off of 1999.
b. Prince is an "elder statesman" because he has become something of a mythological creature since he thinks the internet sucks and kinda disappeared for quite a while. He's like the purple Jeff Mangum.
c. Dolphin is great. I have a feeling his next album is gonna be his best since the 80s though. Not that that's an entirely difficult feat to achieve, but yanno.
Gold Experience? Yes, but I don't remember which one(s). I haven't listened to it in a long time.
Why doesn't Prince release a collection of all of the 12" versions of his songs? I'd buy it. Someone write him a letter saying that.
i will contact him via twitter

Did you finish Emancipation?
I've listened to it a handful of times. Still working on paring it down. It is still way longer than I want and I'm down to 50 minutes...

"In This Bed I Scream" and "My Computer" are keepers. Well, the latter when ya drop the dopey AOL sounds and pretend there is more Kate Bush.

Alright, down to 43 minutes. Here's what I've got. You wanna try it out and give me feedback?

1. Jam of the Year
2. Somebody's Somebody
3. White Mansion
4. Soul Sanctuary
5. My Computer (cutting out the AOL sounds)
6. In This Bed I Scream
7. The Love We Make
8. Friend, Lover, Sister, Mother/Wife
Know what else is great? The Time's albums. Glad they are readily available unlike a lot of the other stuff Prince wrote and played then attached other people's names to.
oh yeah i'll check that out when i have the time. Never listened to The Time though.
Alright so I think 1999 has passed SOTT as #1 Prince for me.
I Wanna Be Your Lover is the best
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I wanna be the only one you come fooooooooo

Quote by uhh_me?
Really? I rate that one highly, but have always felt it is oddly paced.

How so?
I love it and the Dave Chappelle cover.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown