Well, I've been listening to lots of Racer X recently (specifically Superheros and Street Lethal) and I have come to the conclusion that they are a great band, but their singer is really horrible and ruins and otherwise great band.

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRoV8-ebBM0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcolM4ABy24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGx7k6wjI3M
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Mar 18, 2013,
I like the singer, especially on the Technical Difficulties album. To each his own, some people don't like David Lee Roth either.
Ibanez TSA30 < Boss OS-2 < Custom Frankenstein Strat w/ scalloped board and Epi LP pickup
The singer isn't amazing but he doesn't sound that far removed from any other run of the mill 80's rock vocalist. Since Racer X basically play 80's rock on speed I'm not really sure what else you were expecting.
Quote by Nietsche
The singer isn't amazing but he doesn't sound that far removed from any other run of the mill 80's rock vocalist. Since Racer X basically play 80's rock on speed I'm not really sure what else you were expecting.
Truth. It's almost glam, but not that soft, yet also not really comparable in terms of value to more ambitious heavy metal acts of the 80s. Nonetheless, the first two Racer X albums aren't bad IMO, but I definitely wish they made the transition into dramatic, neoclassical heavy metal such as King Diamond - Abigail or Helstar - Nosferatu. Paul Gilbert is an amazing guitar player, but would have benefited from listening to the more earthly and serious metal of the 1970s instead of the "unserious" heavy guitar rock of that time period, I think.
The first couple of Racer X albums are really dull and forgettable besides the weedly deedly guitar bits. I can probably name at least half a dozen straight up heavy metal albums from the 80's that walk all over them. I'm not sure what becoming a Helstar clone would have done for them, but I don't think 'Nosferatu' is really all that to be honest.
Quote by Nietsche
I can probably name at least half a dozen straight up heavy metal albums from the 80's that walk all over them.
Could you name some? I've just recently discovered the ridiculous excellence of Satan's Court in the Act, so I've been interested in trying to find similar 80s metal for a smidge now.
Quote by Nietsche
but I don't think 'Nosferatu' is really all that to be honest.
Really? The technical nature of it is really what appeals to me, as I've never heard any other legitimate metal band with such chops, but the songwriting is also very concise and focused. I don't know the other Helstar albums (or very much heavy metal in general, lol), though, so I'm not sure how they compare.
Quote by Steve08
Could you name some?

Sure.

Omen - Battle Cry, Warning of Danger, The Curse
Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction (Tyrants EP has a couple of good tracks as well, for some reason all I can find on YT at the moment is this which doesn't adequately reflect the production quality of the finished product)
Griffin - Flight of the Griffin
Liege Lord - Burn to my Touch
Attacker - Battle at Helm's Deep
Apollo Ra - Ra Pariah
Crimson Glory - Crimson Glory
Agent Steel - Skeptics Apocalypse
Fatal Violence - Ashes Tell No Tales (The actual album was released in 2008 but it's a compilation of EP material from the 80's so I'm counting it)
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations (This one is very front heavy in terms of track quality though, it really slips down after 'Am I Evil')
Holocaust - The Nightcomers

Really? The technical nature of it is really what appeals to me, as I've never heard any other legitimate metal band with such chops, but the songwriting is also very concise and focused. I don't know the other Helstar albums (or very much heavy metal in general, lol), though, so I'm not sure how they compare.

My favourite pair of traditional metal albums are The Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian by Fates Warning which have a much more ethereal quality than Helstar's material. I can't give much more of a reason other than I don't really find Helstar's sound as captivating in comparison to other bands.
Last edited by Nietsche at Mar 18, 2013,
Quote by Steve08
Could you name some? I've just recently discovered the ridiculous excellence of Satan's Court in the Act, so I've been interested in trying to find similar 80s metal for a smidge now.

Omega
Lizzy Borden
Riot
Scanner
Gotham City
Iscariot
Aerian Rage
Messiah Force
Detest
Heavy Load
Black Knight
Anathema
Savage Grace
EDIT:
Dark Age
Demon
Dark Quarterer
Heaven's Gate

Call me uncreative or obvious, or what have you, but Helloween's s/t EP tops most of the aforementioned works in terms of melody, technical proficiency, energy, and ambition (IMO). That EP and Walls of Jericho are the true gems of that style in that era. They didn't skyrocket to fame in the 80's for no reason.

Also, people seemed to like this mix I made, which features some of the bands that Nietsche and I said.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582668&highlight=science+fiction%2Fdouble+feature
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Last edited by Kytokinesis at Mar 18, 2013,
Damn, you kvlt heavy metal guys know your stuff!
Quote by Kytokinesis
Call me uncreative or obvious, or what have you, but Helloween's s/t EP tops most of the aforementioned works in terms of melody, technical proficiency, energy, and ambition (IMO). That EP and Walls of Jericho are the true gems of that style in that era. They didn't skyrocket to fame in the 80's for no reason.
I'm currently listening to the release linked to there and this is some damn good stuff! Much obliged for the recommendation, and it even sounds a tiny bit like the Satan album I think, which is primarily what I was seeking. I'll check out the rest of the tunes provided in that post as well, in time.
Quote by Nietsche
My favourite pair of traditional metal albums are The Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian by Fates Warning which have a much more ethereal quality than Helstar's material. I can't give much more of a reason other than I don't really find Helstar's sound as captivating in comparison to other bands.
Hey, that's cool, yo. I understand. I was under the impression that Fates Warning played like, uh, cheesy 80s prog metal along the lines of Dream Theater or something, so I'll check out those two records cause I like ethereal. Agent Steel is the one band I know from that list, and they're pretty damn gnarly, so I'll try to listen to all of the linked beats in due time.
Quote by Steve08
I was under the impression that Fates Warning played like, uh, cheesy 80s prog metal along the lines of Dream Theater or something,

Fates only started incorporating 'prog metal' elements around their fourth and fifth albums when they ditched their original vocalist. TSW and ASG are somewhat removed in approach:

Quote by Kytokinesis
I'm gay because I forgot Tyrant

Yes, you are Kyto. Just this time, you're a little gay.
i don't really listen to music like this for the vocals, so i kind of tune them out.

same goes for Dream Theatre.