My friend started boot camp three weeks ago and I just got his mailing address. I'm working on a letter to send and I was wondering if they censor them or anything. If they do, what kind of stuff will they black out?
It's a process, not an event.
It's not like he's in ****ing prison

They're not gonna go through his mail dude

If they did I'd be pretty astonished
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
It's not like he's in ****ing prison

They're not gonna go through his mail dude

If they did I'd be pretty astonished

if they did go through the mail they wouldn't just mark out certain words and send it through, lol. they'd likely arrest both dudes and like send them to Guantanamo
I'm certainly no expert, but I think they only do that in time of war with mail that is going to deployed troops.

Some dude in boot camp isn't going to have any troop position information that would need censoring.
They're not gonna black anything out, but don't write anything that could get him in trouble. Do NOT write a damn thing on the outside of the envelope (other than addresses/stamp) either.
What's Parris like? I bet it's so romantic.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Do Re Mi
My friend started boot camp three weeks ago and I just got his mailing address. I'm working on a letter to send and I was wondering if they censor them or anything. If they do, what kind of stuff will they black out?

There wouldn't be any reason for them to censor anything you send him, and they're not likely to bother with checking anything he'd send, either.

But if movies like Full Metal Jacket are any indication, they could look through his stuff and give him a hard time about anything in they read in the letter, just to screw with his mind in the "break you down" period before the "build you back up period". Just be cool, and he'll probably enjoy getting mail. But he'd probably like it better if it were coming from a female--that'd probably give him some bragging rights with the other guys. If you have some mutual female friend or if he left a girlfriend back home and you know her, then probably the best thing you could do is tell her to say you said "hey" in a letter she sends.

Any one here who's been in the Corps and can comment? From all the Marines/ex-Marines I know, it seems to me like letters coming from anyone other than family or female friends might a point of ridicule at basic training.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
They will black out any breaking bad spoilers, that shit isn't cool, you know they have to wait for the DVD's
Write a bunch of profanity. Not just words like fuck and shit, but also profane imagery about peeing on underage girls, racial epithets, homophobic slurs, and other offensive things like the word retard. That would be interesting to see what they censor.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.