I recently have started transcribing a song in standard tuning. But when I looked up the tabs here on UG all of them are written in C# tuning. So my question is can you transcribe songs in different tunings? It would obviously change the fingerings but does it affect anything else? Cause I tried playing along to C# tuning covers with my standard tuning transcription and they sound the same. Any ideas?
Yeah, of course they sound the same because you are playing the same notes. It doesn't matter what fingerings you use. But if you want to transcribe the song in C# tuning instead of standard, just move everything 3 frets higher.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Yeah, of course they sound the same because you are playing the same notes. It doesn't matter what fingerings you use. But if you want to transcribe the song in C# tuning instead of standard, just move everything 3 frets higher.

So the difference is the tuning? Ok, thanks! Just making sure.
Quote by ackermann
So the difference is the tuning? Ok, thanks! Just making sure.

Yeah, I don't see how it would affect anything other than the fact that you can go lower with C# tuning (but you can always play an octave higher and sound almost the same). And some of the fingerings may be harder to play on standard if the song has lots of open strings used.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
however it's worth noting that you lose access to 3 notes and in songs that use a lot of open strings you're gonna make your life hard trying to play it in an alternate tuning

unless you transpose it ofc
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Yes,you can do that. However,be aware that,if you do this for a 6 string guitar,then some notes will disappear. If you want want to transcribe from C# to Standard E,that is.
Also,you can,instead of transcribing the song,just raise the tuning from C# to Standard E,and play with the same fingerings. That way you will shift the key up by 3 semitones.
Quote by Rocknrolla35
Also,you can,instead of transcribing the song,just raise the tuning from C# to Standard E,and play with the same fingerings. That way you will shift the key up by 3 semitones.

This is what I usually do. I don't care about the original tuning and just play everything with the same fingerings in standard tuning.

And by transcribing you mean transposing?

Because transcribing songs is a good thing. You also get ear training and you learn to play it the way you hear it. Many times tabs have mistakes, even the "official" tab books.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Rocknrolla35

This is what I would do. I don't like changing the tuning. TS, do this.
So basically, it's been no help at all, cuz the theory understanding isn't there.