I play for my church and what I've started doing is sticking my mic'ed amp in a closed off room near the back and just cranking it for that good tube tone. Being the lead guitarist, I've got myself quite an assortment of pedals as well. However, for some reason, my amp reacts much differently in here than at my home.

At home, I do some home recording and so I usually crank up my amp to around 5 or 7, pretty loud for a house. My pedal board is connected with an assortment of patch cables and nothing really gets changed. At home I'm connected from guitar to pedalboard with a 20' Livewire cable and from the board to amp a 15' Monster cable. Like this, my amp responds nice and clean, and only slightly annoying buzzing sound. At church however, the cable from guitar to board is still the same, but to connect the board to the amp, I have to use a 30' Livewire cable. For some reason, by the time I crank it up to around 4-5, my amp is already being overdriven as well as having a really annoying buzzing sound.

Are my cables the reason for this, or is something going on? My amp is about 20 years old with the stock tubes, so maybe it's got something to do with the tubes also? I've already ordered some tubes to replace them with so we'll see whats going on.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Are your pedals true bypass? You need a good buffer to help boost the signal.

Also get a better cable. Monster or Mogami.

Edit: Have you tried using the smaller length cable at church for testing purposes? See if that takes away your problem.
Last edited by R45VT at Mar 19, 2013,
The longer your cable, the more highs you lose. A good buffer and/or an EQ pedal can fix it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
not sure if it is what is affecting your tone specifically, but yes, long cable runs can affect your tone, especially if all your pedals are true bypass. Adding a pedal with a high quality buffer at the end of your chain may help. Thats just one possibility tho, good luck trouble shooting.
Not all of my pedals are true bypass. I believe the TS9 and Nova Repeater are the only buffered pedals I've got. One is near the start of the chain, and the other is near the end of the chain. But now that I understand that the lengths/quality/amount of the cables can affect the tone, what about the weird buzzing and earlier breakup problems?
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
I actually had the earlier breakup problem once on a road gig I played where my amp was mic'd in a back room. I thought it was just in my ears but it wound up being an issue in the house too and our sound guy couldn't figure it out. Is the early breakup a problem in the house too or just your monitors? It could be a number of things. Added cable length would probably have the opposite effect so it's probably not that.

Ps: change your tubes.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
^ it does sound like a tube.... however seems odd it does it at his church only.

Quote by EncoreBlade
Not all of my pedals are true bypass. I believe the TS9 and Nova Repeater are the only buffered pedals I've got. One is near the start of the chain, and the other is near the end of the chain. But now that I understand that the lengths/quality/amount of the cables can affect the tone, what about the weird buzzing and earlier breakup problems?

Different power? What you are describing is not a cable length concern.

How big is the room you have it in?
Quote by Ferrets!
I actually had the earlier breakup problem once on a road gig I played where my amp was mic'd in a back room. I thought it was just in my ears but it wound up being an issue in the house too and our sound guy couldn't figure it out. Is the early breakup a problem in the house too or just your monitors? It could be a number of things. Added cable length would probably have the opposite effect so it's probably not that.

Ps: change your tubes.

Yea when I first heard it, I though maybe it was just something in the house or something going on with the in-ear-monitors. But then I when into the backroom and started playing and confirmed that the earlier breakup was coming from my amp. This was weird cause at home, I get a breakup after cranking it around 5-7, but at church the breakup occurs when its around 4-5.
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by R45VT
^ it does sound like a tube.... however seems odd it does it at his church only.

Different power? What you are describing is not a cable length concern.

How big is the room you have it in?

It could be cause of a different power source. Not entirely sure though and not entirely sure on how to fix or test it. The room isn't that really big or small. What does the room size matter?
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
for the best possible tone here

you need ot change your tubes nad
add a buffer to your chain preferably near the end

the unsteady powersupply in the church might add to the buzzing but ive never had it do anythign to the headroom of my amp